PC freezing, stuck on loading - hard drive failing?

Frankz

Several days ago my aunt told me her laptop stopped working and it wouldn't load into windows.

At first I thought it was a windows update or driver issue but after undoing those updates and disabling the driver, the issues remained & seemed to get progressively worse. Right now I'm not sure what to do & what else I could try. I'm thinking of a harddrive failure but i'm not really an expert on this matter so I can't know for certain.

I'll try to explain which issues I encountered & what troubleshooting I already did.

The issues;

- Very very slow startup(from the HP splash screen to the windows logon would take several minutes)

- Once at the Windows Logon screen, it would get stuck at the Welcome screen and just load forever.

- In safemode, navigating to the System restore menu would just completely freeze the laptop. I left the laptop on and after an hour it suddenly opened the system restore menu?

Troubleshooting Ive done so far:

- System restore through F8 at Startup - Didn't change anything

- Enter safemode to perform a cleanboot & disable the graphics drivers - didn't change anything

- sfc /scannow & dism commands - for some reason both stopped at 40%, the sfc command stopped at 40% & reported that corrupt files were found, then I proceeded to use the dism command to try & fix these corrupt files but stopped at 40% and completely froze the laptop. All I could do was reboot it, after this reboot I could not get into safemode any more.

- Through F8 @ startup I tried to do Startup repair and Refresh PC but it wouldn't let me do either of them - Refreshing PC would tell me "The drive where windows is installed is locked, unlock the drive and try again."

- I tried to do another system restore but it said the drive was corrupt.

- I did some hard drive tests - the SMART test passed but the Hard drive DST short test failed, I then proceeded to do an Optimized DST test but this one passed?

Right now the chkdsk command has been scanning the C:\ drive for 2hours and about 25 bad sectors have been found.

That's all I got for now, if anyone has any idea what might be the cause of my problems and what I could do, i'd greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance!

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

7 minutes ago, Frankz said:

Snip

Install Piriform Speccy if you can and find out the SMART info for the drive

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

2 minutes ago, NinjaJc01 said:

Install Piriform Speccy if you can and find out the SMART info for the drive

I'm not able to boot into windows, so I can't install anything either, i'm currently booted on a USB drive to access certain functions through a tool called LazeSoft http://www.lazesoft.com

»»» Frankz' X99 System «««                                                                                         

CPU: 5820k 4.6Ghz 1.31v, Motherboard: Asus Rampage V Extreme, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws4 16GB DDR4@3000Mhz, GPU: ASUS GTX780 DirectCUII

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, HDD: WD Blue 1TB, PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850 G2, Cooler: Corsair H105, Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D        

I had the same issue when  built my pc. The hard drive was faulty so I got a replacement and it worked fine after

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD