What is a Gamepad? (Logitech G13, Razer Orbweaver, etc.)

So I was browsing on gaming peripherals to buy, and I noticed gamepads. I was wondering what are those for? I've looked on other sites and they say you can do anything you want with it since they are just macros, but what type of games do they work best for?

I mainly play FPS games, like CSGO, COD, and Battlefield, so I was wondering is it worth it for that? All the keys seem closer together which is nice.

If someone could help, thanks.

Also, if it is worth buying one, what should I get? I have an all Logitech setup so I want to keep the brand consistency. 

Don't really know what to put here.

Can be used for anything that requires a lot of macros or binds, dont see a point for using it in FPSs looks to only be useful for MOBAs, RPGs and such

I suggest learning how to build your own, since it gives you better flexibility in your gaming needs. Parts are always readily available from online stores and hobby electronics shops.

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.

I used the G13 for a while for games open world games like Saints Row/GTA, only reason i stopped was because mushy keys and i'm not buying Razer

CPU: AMD 5800X3D / Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S / Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 / GPU: EVGA GTX1070 SC / RAM 64GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB / SSD: WD Black NVME / HDD 1: ADATA XPG SX9200 Pro / HDD 2: Lexus NS100 / PSU: CORSAIR RM850 / Case: Corsair 5000D