NEW build need help

Andyways

Here it is
BUILD PLAN:
6600k i5 intel skylake (1151)
gigabyte z170 or MSI???
gtx ? idk EVGA GeForce 950 (HELP)
ripjaw 8-16g ddr4 ram or hyperx 8-16g ddr4 ram (suggestions?)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm Fan
1tb seagate Baracuda HHD
120GB OR 250GB SSD OCZ Trion 100 / Kingston SSDNow
750w EVGA 80+G or Bronze PSU modular / semi
Corsair Carbide series spec-03 ORANGE / Thermaltake Versa
maybe some noctuas for case fan upgrades
(it's basically all up for debate)

Notes: I would like to bargain shop if I can to keep a low budget, but I don't want to skimp on longevity because I want to upgrade some parts down the road. I want to keep within a $800-1100 USD budget if possible.(insert chuckle here) Only know a few parts places like newegg or pcpartpicker, so basically a noob but have done some pricing research. I would love some tips as far as better component performance, bang for my buck, and anything else relevant.

First real full build solo so I'm looking to enjoy the build on my own.

Some video editing(minor) and slight streaming may occur in the future just for fun though. MOSTLY GAMING.
Will use one monitor for now, future will add one more. No component is off limits to change, so any help is welcome!

P.S. Any cool cheap peripherals deals for me to look into would be cool as well.
Many thanks!

dont buy the  Kingston SSDNow  series
they switched to a cheaper flash nand a while back and never addressed it (it reportedly performed as slow as a mechanical hdd)

Photography / Finance / Gaming

So go OCZ or just a different Kingston? or None of the above, What do you think? But thanks for the heads up!

Hey, good choice but somethings can be changed but more likely its a personal preference too. 

First off,

Gigabyte or Msi Z170 mobos are fine but look for Asus z170-A or Pro, if its in your budget, by far the best build quality for the price they are offered at. 

Second,

Get the Ripjaws 3000Mhz DDR4 8x2 16GB, I have one, Rock solid performance.

Third,

Get WD Black Drive instead of Seagate Barracuda for Storage for a couple of reasons. The build quality on the WD is better than Seagate, I have both. Another I think Seagate is only a 1 or 2 year warranty, but WD Black is 5 years. Performance is kind of the same but at least you have the peace of mind with the warranty being 5 years. And I think its like 10$ difference in price. 

Forth,

250GB SSD over a 128GB just in case. (Future proofing)

If you are thinking about Raid in future possibly, invest in a good PRO SSD now. and add one later down the road when you have money. 

Fifth,

EVGA 750W G2 Fully modular system, 80 GOLD+ rating, I have one and I think no matter what power supply you choose, get a fully modular one, I think the difference is like $20 for the same wattage semi vs fully modular. And the benefit is that in future if you want custom cables from cablemod or something, you have a full freedom to do so and your system will look good.

Everything looks okay. Good build. 

I need those 40 PCI-e express lanes.

1st Point) I was told (all great rumors start this way) that Asus was having some shotty mobo issues like cards catching fire and bad runs, etc. That's why I haven't really looked into them since.

2nd Point - 5th Point) No qualms there. Thanks!

50 minutes ago, Andyways said:

So go OCZ or just a different Kingston? or None of the above, What do you think? But thanks for the heads up!

i dont know enough about ocz products
i personally use an ADATA SX900 256gb, has been fine for me
ADATA, samsung, corsair, plextor, crucial also have great products

btw what resolution will you be gaming at, it can determin the gpu you should be selecting

Photography / Finance / Gaming

15 minutes ago, mok said:

i dont know enough about ocz products
i personally use an ADATA SX900 256gb, has been fine for me
ADATA, samsung, corsair, plextor, crucial also have great products

btw what resolution will you be gaming at, it can determin the gpu you should be selecting

I will look into some more options like that for sure. Totally forgot about crucial though.

At the present 1080p is all I have, 4k future bound but they are pretty expensive monitors.

1 hour ago, Andyways said:

Zotac premium 240gb is excellent for $55(performs only slightly less than 850 evo).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1. use pcpartpicker for picking hardwares and it has a almost exclusive collection of retailers and gives the lowest price among them.

2. are you going to overclock? if no a h170 if fine. no need for z series chipset and k series CPU.

3. nono to gtx950. if you are going to stick with 1080p then a rx480 which will come out in 5 days is a solid choice. If you want future upgrading to 1440p then gtx 1070.

4. SSD wise, i would suggest sumsung adata crutial.

2 hours ago, Devin92 said:

2. are you going to overclock? if no a h170 if fine. no need for z series chipset and k series CPU.

3. nono to gtx950. if you are going to stick with 1080p then a rx480 which will come out in 5 days is a solid choice. If you want future upgrading to 1440p then gtx 1070.

4. SSD wise, i would suggest sumsung adata crutial.

I won't overclock this unit until I get some more cash, but yes I will so that's why I plan to get the 6600k and z, but do you have any preference/ knowledge of better brands because they all seem to be doing pretty much the same as far as performance that I don't know which brand and now looking for cost beneficial one (color doesn't REALLY matter).

You mean the amd card right? not gtx because that one is 600 dollars. I might wait for the 1070 to come down on price before I buy one of those, are used graphics card any good?

thanks by the way

39 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Something like this will perform much better than the build you suggested: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/D9ykTH

So basically you are saying don't overclock, put the money into a top tier gpu? but did you read the part where I plan on doing some video editing, CAD, etc.

I plan on upgrading some things later, and although that is within the price-range, I'd have to buy  new cpu AND mobo in the next year or two, so  why not get the overclockable one now??

1 hour ago, Andyways said:

I won't overclock this unit until I get some more cash, but yes I will so that's why I plan to get the 6600k and z, but do you have any preference/ knowledge of better brands because they all seem to be doing pretty much the same as far as performance that I don't know which brand and now looking for cost beneficial one (color doesn't REALLY matter).

You mean the amd card right? not gtx because that one is 600 dollars. I might wait for the 1070 to come down on price before I buy one of those, are used graphics card any good?

thanks by the way

Well if you go for k and z then you have a overclock system anyway so no need to wait for more money. Altho, the CPU cooler and PSU you choose may limit how much you can reach.

Mobo wise, I heard ppl say good reviews about Asus z170-A/pro, but if the fire hazard you heard really bothered you then go for gigabyte or MSI. Any MSI gaming mobo is pretty reliable. Gigabyte ultra durable (UDH if i am correct) is fine as well. For overclocking purpose you want your mobo to have more power phase at least 6-8, so research into tat for the specific model. 

GPU wise, the one you chose in your OP is a gtx 950 from nvidia. That one is not a good choice cuz one it has not very good performance and two its a maxwell from year ago. definitely go for gtx1070 if you have the budget but ya wait till they have good supply again. Meanwhile, since the AMD rx480 is coming out so soon, you should check out people's reviews on it and maybe it can be a sweetspot for your need. A used GPU is hard to tell. With new cards coming out, there are tons of ppl selling their 970s 980s and 980Tis so they can get the newer gen ones. You can search around to find good deals but I dont really have experience in this area. Maybe you can check out the "scrap yard war" episodes on Linus youtube channel and it will give you some clue.

27 minutes ago, Andyways said:

So basically you are saying don't overclock, put the money into a top tier gpu? but did you read the part where I plan on doing some video editing, CAD, etc.

I plan on upgrading some things later, and although that is within the price-range, I'd have to buy  new cpu AND mobo in the next year or two, so  why not get the overclockable one now??

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/QR9Gf8

43 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Why would I even do that? Xeon- 2mb more in L3 cache and it draws 10 less watts for only $50 more dollars on a cpu? That doesn't make sense to me at all man. At least I'd get a integrated graphics on the 6500 or 6600k

20 minutes ago, Andyways said:

Why would I even do that? Xeon- 2mb more in L3 cache and it draws 10 less watts for only $50 more dollars on a cpu? That doesn't make sense to me at all man. At least I'd get a integrated graphics on the 6500 or 6600k

Because it has hyper threading. It's basically an i7 for almost the same price as an i5 with no overclocking.