Help with networking

ShoMy

I really need help cuz am really confused...i wonna know more about my home internet network so am confused with speedd numbers and all that shitt,for exp. if i have 5mps down speed,hows that when i try to download something on BitTorrent with good stable source (not pirated links) i have 500kps,i mean its not logic shoudnt i get 5mps or something i am confused with that cuz i am trying to optimize my wifi signal since am playing GTA online and it starts to lag (i have sufficent components) and ugh..i am confused with numbers i mean hows that working

6 minutes ago, ShoMy said:

I really need help cuz am really confused...i wonna know more about my home internet network so am confused with speedd numbers and all that shitt,for exp. if i have 5mps down speed,hows that when i try to download something on BitTorrent with good stable source (not pirated links) i have 500kps,i mean its not logic shoudnt i get 5mps or something i am confused with that cuz i am trying to optimize my wifi signal since am playing GTA online and it starts to lag (i have sufficent components) and ugh..i am confused with numbers i mean hows that working

There is a diference between megabits per second and mega bytes per second. google is a very good wepage for learing about anything.....

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

"People often incorrectly assume that a download speed of 1 Megabit per second will allow them to download a 1 Megabyte file in one second. This is not the case, because one byte contains eight bits. A Megabit is 1/8 the size of a Megabyte, meaning that to download a 1 MB file in 1 second you would need a connection of 8 Mbps. The difference between a Gigabyte (GB) and a Gigabit (Gb) is the same, with a Gigabyte being 8 times larger than a Gigabit."

[Source: SoftPerfect]

With you getting 500 kbps, have a look at your router. There are many factors that contribute with causing a lower speed. Low-end router mainly use only single band 2.4 ghz which phones and even microwaves can interfere with it. Many new dual band routers utilise both 2.4 & 5ghz. Note that 5 ghz is a lot more stable to interference but the range is greatly reduced due to its wavelength. How bittorrent works is that you are theoretically downloading something off of someone elses computer that they already have downloaded data - meaning that there is no central server therefore the speed is affected in this way. You need to look at your ISP (Internet service provider). It is possible that they can be throttling your speed for bittorrent as it is mainly used for software piracy and, according to ToS of some providers, they are greatly against that. 

How can you get a stable internet? - RJ45 ethernet cable preferrably cat 5e due to your speed. Nothing beats the ethernet cable as it is less prone of getting interfered from the environmental conditions. Remember, you will never get the true speed that the ISP is telling you. You sometimes may get less, or like me you may be getting more than your prescribed speed. What type of connection to your ISP are you using? ADSL? Fiber optic? ADSL works by sending data through the telephone copper cable which means that the speed is theoretically lower than ISP advertised speed due to little resistance to the environment. Fiber optic works by sending the data through thin pieces of fiber glass via total internal reflection - which results in little to no interference and therefore achieving the speed. 

You also need to be looking at your router. Stock firmwares on the router are a total nightmare and are the worst things I have ever seen. I own Linksys ea6900 and after flashing it with DD-WRT third-party firmware, I'm getting super fast speeds - although flashing is not preferred for the inexperienced as there is a chance that you may brick the router in the process.

Did I help you with your problem? If so, give my comment a like and even mark it as the solution!

You also have to take into account that just because you're paying for 5 mbps doesn't mean you're always getting that speed. ISPs advertise as "UP TO 50 Mbps!" where the up to is the key phrase. I have 150 down, but on a good day I get around 90 down

Just divide by 8 from what your ISP tell you. If they tell you 10Mbps speed, the speed that shown on uTorrent, IDM, or downloading file on chrome is around 1.25MB/s.

The key difference is Mbps and MBps, small b is bit, capital B is byte. 1 byte is 8 bit. Take note most ISP speed is "up to", so it is not guaranteed and that speed at all time.

2 hours ago, shayan_doust said:

"People often incorrectly assume that a download speed of 1 Megabit per second will allow them to download a 1 Megabyte file in one second. This is not the case, because one byte contains eight bits. A Megabit is 1/8 the size of a Megabyte, meaning that to download a 1 MB file in 1 second you would need a connection of 8 Mbps. The difference between a Gigabyte (GB) and a Gigabit (Gb) is the same, with a Gigabyte being 8 times larger than a Gigabit."

[Source: SoftPerfect]

With you getting 500 kbps, have a look at your router. There are many factors that contribute with causing a lower speed. Low-end router mainly use only single band 2.4 ghz which phones and even microwaves can interfere with it. Many new dual band routers utilise both 2.4 & 5ghz. Note that 5 ghz is a lot more stable to interference but the range is greatly reduced due to its wavelength. How bittorrent works is that you are theoretically downloading something off of someone elses computer that they already have downloaded data - meaning that there is no central server therefore the speed is affected in this way. You need to look at your ISP (Internet service provider). It is possible that they can be throttling your speed for bittorrent as it is mainly used for software piracy and, according to ToS of some providers, they are greatly against that. 

How can you get a stable internet? - RJ45 ethernet cable preferrably cat 5e due to your speed. Nothing beats the ethernet cable as it is less prone of getting interfered from the environmental conditions. Remember, you will never get the true speed that the ISP is telling you. You sometimes may get less, or like me you may be getting more than your prescribed speed. What type of connection to your ISP are you using? ADSL? Fiber optic? ADSL works by sending data through the telephone copper cable which means that the speed is theoretically lower than ISP advertised speed due to little resistance to the environment. Fiber optic works by sending the data through thin pieces of fiber glass via total internal reflection - which results in little to no interference and therefore achieving the speed. 

You also need to be looking at your router. Stock firmwares on the router are a total nightmare and are the worst things I have ever seen. I own Linksys ea6900 and after flashing it with DD-WRT third-party firmware, I'm getting super fast speeds - although flashing is not preferred for the inexperienced as there is a chance that you may brick the router in the process.

Your post was very informative a allready knew some things but i learned new ones as well,

Thank you everybody for help i know that 1 nyte contains 8 bites but i havent figured out  now i realise..