CPU>Gaming Question/Query...

Ok this might sound a bit stupid but here it goes...

Does the CPU help less than, more than or equal to what the GPU does when gaming..? If so, how? If not, how?

If so, HOW does the CPU help out exactly? and then I want to ask, What do you need to find in a CPU that can help out when gaming..? Because I'm in the process of making a build and at the moment, I've got 2 different lists of components with the same exact CPU on both of them.

The CPU I've got listed is a Xeon but there's a couple of ADvantages as opposed to something like a 5820k.

• The Price. £300+ for the 5820k brand new and then we have £150 max for the Xeon on eBay!
  • The Core/Thread differences. Xeon = 12Cores>24Threads (HYPER-THREADED on this Xeon CPU) and then we have the 5820k with 6Cores>12Threads.

Basically what I'm doing here is trying to find out what my CPU can provide when gaming because I want to know if it's worth it or not. I strongly feel at the moment that it might be worth it but just that's because of the other applications that I'll be using as well as doing some gaming.

Thanks ~ Xiauj ^_^

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

GPU helps way more.  but a minimum of a quad core CPU is needed.  In your case, you are choosing 6 cores and more, you are fine.  As long as your CPU aint a Q6600 or something, your cpu is fine.  

Example, best CPU with integrated graphics plays current games in low settings 1080p, and like 30-40fps or worst.  Add a basic gpu like a gtx 950, you get a 1080p med-high settings 60fps, in general.  GPU' makes a pretty big difference.

Most games are GPU dependent. The CPU usually handles physics while GPU handles graphics.

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

@never_here & @PokeCatz,

I see.

Well, do you reckon a 2670-V3 Xeon CPU would give good performance/FPS alongside a GTX 1070..?

That's the CPU that's cheaper and has more cores/threads.

I'm not getting the Xeon just for the extra core/threads, I'm getting it because it's cheaper and because I want to continue using a modelling software application called "CINEMA 4D" which I assume uses a ton of power based on the renderer the user is using.

I will be using the standard renderer, Octane renderer and Arnold renderer in a wide variety of ways.

So yeah, the CPU and GPU HAVE to be pretty good because Octane and Arnold and other renderer types can be very greedy in terms of power as you can probably tell.

honestly, i'm not sure how render software works.  I know Xeons, and more cores will blast through it much easier, but i'm not sure the performance difference between the 2 cpu's.  

I know for gaming, clockspeeds make the difference.  So the 5820k will work better in gaming.  The Xeon will be worst in general due to the stock clockspeed at 2.3GHz vs the 5820k at 3.6GHz.  Its a pretty big difference of 1.3GHz per core(up to 4 cores-6 cores probably).  Games will not take advantage of the extra cores available, as they were not optimised for that.  I do have a feeling you should get the Xeon, cause getting work done faster is probably a higher priority than gaming slightly better, but as i said, i'm not sure how your render software may work with the 5820k.  Nor have i gamed on a cpu running at that speed.  Hopefully the other guy can bring in more insight, but if not, you'll have to dig around some benchmarks. 

2 hours ago, never_here said:

I know for gaming, clockspeeds make the difference.

Really? o.O 

So for better performance on say the GPU, do I need to look for the same principal but for the Graphics Cards' Clock Speed (MHz), you know the Base and Boost clock speeds..?

3 hours ago, never_here said:

but as i said, i'm not sure how your render software may work with the 5820k.

Yeah, I'll need to double check that. Will make a topic in "Programs,  Apps & Websites".

Thanks!

Yes, and No... Same with CPU's, it makes a difference, but if you compare a 5 year old chip, vs a current chip, even if they run at the same clock speed, (and ignore the extra cores stuff), theres new things in that chip that will make it run faster in general, even without extra cores, or GHz.  As long as the chip isn't too old, its fine.  I think your intel Xeon you picked was 3 years old now?  So it should be fine.  

GPU wise, same principal.  but i'd get a current gen GPU if possible.  Unless you plan on getting a GTX Titan, cause it has tech for both gamers, and production stuff, then, new is always better.  Expecially with the gtx 900 series, they've made some interesting advancements that make it worth while, like, fans turn off if its under 60degrees celcius, to make it noiseless.  Uses less power, games pretty damn well too.  Sry, i dont know much about AMD gpu's, as i just like to stick with Nvidia.... but ya.