Windows 7 won't update

Number

I'm trying to get my fresh copy of Windows 7 that is about a week old to update but it simply wont. I tried to go to windows update and manually click check for updates but it just gets stuck on "checking for updates". Usually in the next couple of days after I install the copy I get a update icon beside the shutdown button but it just hasn't happened. Anyway else I can install the updates? Should I wait longer?

Numbre

for work win7 PCs i had to wait a couple of days to get a connection, but finally had no issues. my home win7 PCs never had a connection/update issue.

This always happens after a fresh install of Win7. For me the longest i had was around 6 hours of checking for updates. After that its fine.

List specs here

Yeah the windows 7  update client has a huge bug in it.

It has something to do with a couple of pending updates.

It basicly keeps searching for updates forever, and hogging 1.9GB or so from your ram and arround 12% cpu on a 8 core, ussage.

This hog sometimes can take upto  7 hours without any results of finding new updates.

There is a patch for a newer version of the Windows update client, that you might want to try.

The KB3135445 that might fix your problem.

But still i personaly tried in on a VM, and looking for updates still took a pretty long time.

Keep in mind that this new patch will also accept Windows10 preperation updates.

And thats the fishy part of it.

You can download a trial version of bitdefender total security, it has a built in update checker that bypasses Microsofts "bugs" http://www.bitdefender.com/Downloads/

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

it does not "get stuck" checking for updates

it just takes a really long time

you need to leave the PC on for a few days and let it check for the updates first

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020