Best CPU for non-gaming

Actually, would a gigbyte brix be good for an application like this? I could put it on the back of the monitor and I don't think she needs an optical drive.

Grump Bumb

Yeah, I suppose you could do that. You might end up paying just a little more though.

Core i5 6600k, GeForce GTX 480, MSI z170 SLI, 3x8 GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM, Hyper 212 Evo

4 minutes ago, PalkiaRock484 said:

Actually, would a gigbyte brix be good for an application like this? I could put it on the back of the monitor and I don't think she needs an optical drive.

Just take note that it has mobile CPU rather than much more powerful desktop processors. If she is not an heavy user, I don't think that matter so much. The new Intel Skylake NUC might be better since it has Iris graphics. And yes, you will pay more for brix or nuc. I actually almost bought the Intel NUC, it just the mobile CPU turns me off.

1 hour ago, PalkiaRock484 said:

If anything a usb to dvd drive isn't too terribly expensive, but a ssd in may help it to be fast if they don't need a lot of storage.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Ive just built a PC for my aunt with these specs:

CPU: Intel i3 6100

MOTHERBOARD: Asus B150 Aura ITX

COOLER: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo (Overkill for this build but its in for future proofing/when i give her my old CPU in a couple of years time)

GPU: Gigabyte 2GB GTX 950

RAM: Corsair DDR4 Vengeance 2400 8GB

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 256GB (In Rapid Mode)

HDD: WD Black 750GB Laptop Drive

PSU: Corsair RM550 Fully Modular

CASE: BitFenix Phenom ITX

That system with Windows 10, Norton and a Samsung 21 inch monitor with a cheap Logitech keyboard and mouse combo came to less than £1000, and with a printer and surge protection at the wall added later it was a pretty cheap £1200. I did add a couple of fans for free and a fan splitter.

The thing runs at a cool 31c under load in Aida64 and got a decent Firestrike score as well. It also consumes a pretty small 290W under a stress test.

Its a great wee machine for her as all she does is word processing, email and various other tasks that are not majorly labour intensive.

If i was gonna change it, id add a M.2 in place of the SSD and add a much larger mechanical drive, and change the CPU to a i5 6400 that was going cheap on Amazon just 2 days later for £6 less than the 6100, and also possibly change the GPU with a GTX 960 or R9 285 with the savings i would have made in the CPU and M.2.

Best machine I've built for the price, or until i build my HTPC in the next few weeks.

Intel i9 9900X | EVGA X299 Micro 2 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 (4X8GB) 3200 | EVGA 280mm CLC

Seasonic 1300w Focus Gold | Samsung 500GB 970 EVO

WD Black 2TB/WD Black 1TB (X2)/Seagate 4TB Ironwolf/Crucial 1TB P1/Crucial MX500 500GB/Samsung 1TB QVO

Phanteks Entho Evolve MATX

Samsung LS29E790C 29 Inch Monitor | LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD

Coolermaster Master Keys Pro RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Logitech G700s

Razer Leviathan

Do you think the psu in the rosewill case will be good enough, or should I shoot for an 80+

Grump Bumb

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

His budget is $300

Bugger, never saw that.

Intel i9 9900X | EVGA X299 Micro 2 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 (4X8GB) 3200 | EVGA 280mm CLC

Seasonic 1300w Focus Gold | Samsung 500GB 970 EVO

WD Black 2TB/WD Black 1TB (X2)/Seagate 4TB Ironwolf/Crucial 1TB P1/Crucial MX500 500GB/Samsung 1TB QVO

Phanteks Entho Evolve MATX

Samsung LS29E790C 29 Inch Monitor | LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD

Coolermaster Master Keys Pro RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Logitech G700s

Razer Leviathan

1 minute ago, ESPImperium said:

Bugger, never saw that.

Yea, she's just using it for office and sims.

Grump Bumb