I5-6600k OC @ 4,5Ghz

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
6 minutes ago, Johannes89 said:

Ill just up the Offset by like 0,02V or something and see if it helps.

Oh yeah, this slipped under the radar. Use manual voltage, at the very least during testing fase. Don't do none of that offset BS, no no. Keep it a constant, steady voltage. That can sometimes causes problems.

7 minutes ago, Johannes89 said:

Just one more thing about prime95 tho ... I saw multiple youtubers advising against using Prime95 or at least the latest Version of it since its to "agressive". Any intel on that?

That's because the vast majority of them don't really know what they are talking about. I don't blame them, though, it is some pretty in-depth stuff that I wouldn't expect an average youtuber to do research on. In fact, even some of the folks that do know enough about it to make a legit recommendation still say "don't use it" for the sake of making things simple for noob viewers. While I disagree, I can at least understand why they do so.

But anyway, don't worry about running P95. I do it 24/7 with that exact CPU of yours at 1.296v final voltage, there's absolutely no problem in doing it. Grab the latest version and fire away!

Hey guys so i upgraded my system a few days ago and got a new i5-6600k with the asrock fatality G4 mainboard and 2x16GB Ram from G.Skill at 2133mhz.

I installed everything and got the system to run. Of course i couldnt keep myself from OCing right away. After trying a few times i ended up getting at 4,5ghz just using the multiplier and offset Voltage to something around +0,135 V if i remember correctly.

I did run multiple stresstests such as AIDA64 and ROG Realbench for multiple hours each.

my Numbers: Voltage went from about 0,85V in IDLE to 1,25V under full load.

Temperatures went from mid 20's C° in IDLE to about 60 C° after multiple hours of full load. No errors occured.

As for cooling i use an old Scythe Mugen 2 Rev.b and some proper air cooling in the Case itself.

Now i feel like these numbers do look a bit too good to be true, so thats basicly my question ^^ are those realistic or may i have a Problem in reading the right numbers? i did use different Programms to check those tho like CoreTemp and AIDA 64 both show the same.

Also i did have 1 or 2 bluescreens while gaming which i didnt get to check the error codes yet. But id assume that those cant be a result of the oc since about 0,5-1h gaming should never stress the cpu as much as a 4h stresstest right?

ty for ur help guys

2 minutes ago, Johannes89 said:

Also i did have 1 or 2 bluescreens while gaming which i didnt get to check the error codes yet. But id assume that those cant be a result of the oc since about 0,5-1h gaming should never stress the cpu as much as a 4h stresstest right?

Oh, you BSOD? Then your system is unstable. Maybe you passed 4h of certain stress tests. Doesn't mean the CPU can actually handle any sort of stress, gaming being just one example of it.

Either lower the multiplier or increase the voltage.

3 minutes ago, Johannes89 said:

Temperatures went from mid 20's C° in IDLE to about 60 C° after multiple hours of full load.

Nice ambient temps you got there buddy. I wonder what you'd get with a more intensive test, though.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Oh, you BSOD? Then your system is unstable. Maybe you passed 4h of certain stress tests. Doesn't mean the CPU can actually handle any sort of stress, gaming being just one example of it.

Either lower the multiplier or increase the voltage.

Nice ambient temps you got there buddy. I wonder what you'd get with a more intensive test, though.

i dont know what BSOD means but u do think the cpu doesnt have enough voltage even tho it ran at 100% for close to 10h?

And if so what test would u recommend to be on the save side? i mean afterall stresstests are here to make sure the system runs fine. If multiple stresstests pass and it crashes on me after 30 mins of gaming where is the point in actual stresstesting?^^

It is suggested to run a stress test overnight or 24 hours. Gaming is a realistic test of the cpu and Aida64 is just a lot of math done to push the cpu to its max. If you bsod, then your system is unstable and you should play around with your settings. 

You can bump that voltage to 1.275 without much temperature difference, as @Imakuni said, all stress tests are not equivalent.

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

2 minutes ago, Johannes89 said:

If multiple stresstests pass and it crashes on me after 30 mins of gaming where is the point in actual stresstesting?^^

Stress test with AIDA64 for example is used to test MOST of the tasks your PC would do, but not all of them, that's why you stress test, to check if everything goes right in the first place, then you test other particular tasks to make sure it works

Sorry for Bad English, Baguette here 

STENDHAL: CPU: i5 6600K | MOBO: ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Ranger | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz | Case: CM HAF XB | Storage: Kingston UV400 240GB SSD + 750GB WD Blue | CPU Cooler: Hyper 212X | PSU: Corsair RM750X

Ok so ill try pushing the voltage a little higher ... shouldnt be a problem anyways since the 1,25V we have atm are super low anyways right?

Still those temps are super low do u think they are realistic? im not even using any watercooling and even the Mugen 2 isnt the best of the CPU coolers out there

I remember I could run a 4.4Ghz OC stress test with Prime 95 / AIDA64 for about 6 hours stable, go to play League of Legends, insta BSOD every time

As others have said, mess with voltage a bit, should help

8 minutes ago, Orboe said:

It is suggested to run a stress test overnight or 24 hours. Gaming is a realistic test of the cpu and Aida64 is just a lot of math done to push the cpu to its max. If you bsod, then your system is unstable and you should play around with your settings. 

7 minutes ago, BbsMentos said:

You can bump that voltage to 1.275 without much temperature difference, as @Imakuni said, all stress tests are not equivalent.

sry messed up the quotes from my post b4 ... plz see above :D

4 minutes ago, Johannes89 said:

i dont know what BSOD means

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death.

do think the cpu doesnt have enough voltage even tho it ran at 100% for close to 10h?

"100%" doesn't mean anything. Workloads can be widly different, even if they are both "100%".

As an anology, writting a book and running a marathon are both things that would demmand 100% of your attention, but stress your body in 2 completely different ways.

what test would u recommend to be on the save side?

Prime95

Still those temps are super low do u think they are realistic?

Yeah. You seem to have low ambient temps, your voltage is rather low and those stress tests aren't that demmanding. Your temps seem very much in line.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

5 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

BSOD = Blue Screen Of Death.

"100%" doesn't mean anything. Workloads can be widly different, even if they are both "100%".

As an anology, writting a book and running a marathon are both things that would demmand 100% of your attention, but stress your body in 2 completely different ways.

Prime95

Yeah. You seem to have low ambient temps, your voltage is rather low and those stress tests aren't that demmanding. Your temps seem very much in line.

Ok i think thats pretty much all i need to know for now. Ill just up the Offset by like 0,02V or something and see if it helps.

Just one more thing about prime95 tho ... I saw multiple youtubers advising against using Prime95 or at least the latest Version of it since its to "agressive". Any intel on that?

EDIT: Also thanks again very much guys this was literally help in seconds !

6 minutes ago, Johannes89 said:

Ill just up the Offset by like 0,02V or something and see if it helps.

Oh yeah, this slipped under the radar. Use manual voltage, at the very least during testing fase. Don't do none of that offset BS, no no. Keep it a constant, steady voltage. That can sometimes causes problems.

That's because the vast majority of them don't really know what they are talking about. I don't blame them, though, it is some pretty in-depth stuff that I wouldn't expect an average youtuber to do research on. In fact, even some of the folks that do know enough about it to make a legit recommendation still say "don't use it" for the sake of making things simple for noob viewers. While I disagree, I can at least understand why they do so.

But anyway, don't worry about running P95. I do it 24/7 with that exact CPU of yours at 1.296v final voltage, there's absolutely no problem in doing it. Grab the latest version and fire away!