I got burned by Asus tech support, is there anything I can do for my motherboard?

I have a nice new build with a x99 deluxe II motherboard. I was trying to sli 2 GTX 1070s and it wasn't wanting to boot. Each card worked but together wouldn't boot.

So I called tech support, and he told me to update the bios. I should have went with my gut and hung up on him. He wasn't familiar with the board and was having trouble understanding me. He had me put the bios update onto a flash drive. After I had restarted he told me to wait, that he forgot I had to rename the .cap file. I then went back to change it, and he told me the wrong file name, my board is the II version.

long story short, after several hours and three different techs, they said the bios is corrupted. It worked fine before I called, and they ruined the board from something unrelated to the original problem.

is there anything that I may be able to do to get it working again. The only thing it will do is boot to the bios. It won't even let me reinstall windows to any of the drives.

it recognizes all the drives, it just won't boot to windows. When I tried to format a drive and install windows, it said unable to create a partition.

hopefully something can be done, because I could tell they really didn't know what they were talking about. They basically did what I was doing and looked everything up.

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case

3 minutes ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

I have a nice new build with a x99 deluxe II motherboard. I was trying to sli 2 GTX 1070s and it wasn't wanting to boot. Each card worked but together wouldn't boot.

So I called tech support, and he told me to update the bios. I should have went with my gut and hung up on him. He wasn't familiar with the board and was having trouble understanding me. He had me put the bios update onto a flash drive. After I had restarted he told me to wait, that he forgot I had to rename the .cap file. I then went back to change it, and he told me the wrong file name, my board is the II version.

long story short, after several hours and three different techs, they said the bios is corrupted. It worked fine before I called, and they ruined the board from something unrelated to the original problem.

is there anything that I may be able to do to get it working again. The only thing it will do is boot to the bios. It won't even let me reinstall windows to any of the drives.

it recognizes all the drives, it just won't boot to windows. When I tried to format a drive and install windows, it said unable to create a partition.

hopefully something can be done, because I could tell they really didn't know what they were talking about. They basically did what I was doing and looked everything up.

if you corrupted the BIOS but it can post to the BIOS why not reflash the CORRECT BIOS back. DISCLAIMER I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGES DONE TO YOUR MOTHERBOARD AND OR OTHER COMPONENTS IN YOUR SYSTEM. PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

6 minutes ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

Hi!

Your motherboard should have a Dual BIOS switch, designed to protect from BIOS corruption. Switch to BIOS 2, then flash a clean BIOS 1 off Asus' website and switch back to BIOS 1. Hopefully you can find the switch or jumper, if you can't, refer to your manual.

And remember to be very careful while flashing a BIOS. Connect a UPS if you have one and don't take your eyes off the process (it shouldn't take long anyway).

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

15 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Hi!

Your motherboard should have a Dual BIOS switch, designed to protect from BIOS corruption. Switch to BIOS 2, then flash a clean BIOS 1 off Asus' website and switch back to BIOS 1. Hopefully you can find the switch or jumper, if you can't, refer to your manual.

And remember to be very careful while flashing a BIOS. Connect a UPS if you have one and don't take your eyes off the process (it shouldn't take long anyway).

lol i forgot to tell OP that. also OP while flashing the BIOS dont run anything in the house that will use alot of electricity like the microwave. it can cause the power to go out and youd have to reset the circuit breaker in your house, plus that means you screwed up the motherboard too 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

I'd get a supervisor on the phone and ask them why they are walking people through BIOS updates if they don't even know how.........

Unfortunately you don't have the dual BIOS switch, but if its working good enough to get into BIOS you can probably still fix the issue.    Try this -   http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

I am also confused about it booting to bios. If it was corrupt and unfixable, wouldn't it not go into the bios.

it goes into bios And I'm able to change settings. Unfortunately Im not knowledgable enough to know what to do. This bios is very complex.

ive did it all. Remove cmos battery, flash the old bios back, changed many settings they told me to change. 

I Really like this board, but it will probably be my first and last asus. The support isn't any better at it than I am. 

Intel 5930k/ asus x99 deluxe II/ 32gb crucial ballistix ram/ Evga 1080 ti SC2/ enermax air cooler/ enthoo luxe case

If you can get into BIOS it certainly doesn't seem to be an unrecoverable problem. It would be useful to know what exactly the error message you were getting when trying to install windows, (was there an error code?) and what error message appeared when booting windows that was already installed, my advice is this...

1) find and flash the most current bios for your motherboard, ensure that it completes without error

2) restart the machine, go back into bios, and reset settings to factory defaults and check windows installations again

If you've done this already (I can't tell if you have) it is possible I suppose that whatever incorrect bios was flashed, it's interfered with how the sata controller talks to the bios. I'm not sure if this can be solved. I would get back on the phone to ASUS and request that they replace the board for you, seeing as it was their bad advice that got you into this predicament in the first place. 

You could have had a faulty board in the first place?

slightly off topic but why did you go for 2x 1070s instead of one 1080?

I got burned by Asus tech support, is there anything I can do?

Yes - apply cold water

return that pos to your retailer and get a real motherboard

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

31 minutes ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

slightly off topic but why did you go for 2x 1070s instead of one 1080?

probz same reason why everyone went 2x 970 instead of one 980 back in the day?

get like 60% more performance for the same price

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

7 hours ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

I Really like this board, but it will probably be my first and last asus. The support isn't any better at it than I am. 

Call Asus back, demand to speak to a supervisor. Explain to them that one of their techs walked you through a bios update and missed a step, causing the motherboard to be bricked. Demand a replacement from him or you'll never go with them again and you'll switch to evga for their much better support.

Supervisors are there to deal with the fuck ups, that's the only way anything will get done. It's not guaranteed top work, but if this doesn't get them to make things right, then make good on it and go with evga next time

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

2 hours ago, incarnate said:

Call Asus back, demand to speak to a supervisor. Explain to them that one of their techs walked you through a bios update and missed a step, causing the motherboard to be bricked. Demand a replacement from him or you'll never go with them again and you'll switch to evga for their much better support.

Supervisors are there to deal with the fuck ups, that's the only way anything will get done. It's not guaranteed top work, but if this doesn't get them to make things right, then make good on it and go with evga next time

I told them that, the thing is my build is only a couple weeks old. I told them I'm still within the return period. 

They said the fastest thing to do would be to return it. I told them what about the work I put in to build this computer and now it's broken from your mistake. And if I return it, it's going to be for another brand.

he appoligized and said I completley understand. They didn't really care. 

It lets me into the bios, it even told me I forgot to plug my graphics card back in. I would think it's in the settings, but I don't know what to do to it.

It's not difficult, and you can watch some walkthroughs for the process on Youtube. Just make sure you get the correct BIOS for your specific mobo. Maybe post which BIOS you're using in this thread before trying it out.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=asus+x99+flash+bios&page=&utm_source=opensearch

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

I searched the  manual and they told me the wrong file name for the bios. X99dii. It should be x99d2.

Ill try this. I hope it works.

I can easily and successfully update the bios between the fist one and the latest one. They are on asus website.

edit- it didn't work, it said no operating system found. Otherwise I can do anything in the bios, it just won't boot into windows

52 minutes ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

I searched the  manual and they told me the wrong file name for the bios. X99dii. It should be x99d2.

Ill try this. I hope it works.

I can easily and successfully update the bios between the fist one and the latest one. They are on asus website.

edit- it didn't work, it said no operating system found. Otherwise I can do anything in the bios, it just won't boot into windows

Are you sure that you have set the boot ordered so that it boots into the drive you've installed Windows on? This sounds like it's trying to boot from another device or something...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I made a big breakthrough. 

Ive been trying to reinstall windows on another HD. I didn't want to lose my files.

i gave up and decided to reformat my main ssd. It wouldn't let me, so I researched and found I had to delete all partitions on the drive.

it finally let me install windows. I have a disk image I luckily made a few days ago. I'm trying now to replace all my files.

its looking good so far, it seems like I might need to reinstall all my drivers, but that's ok.

the real kicker is that asus tech support is so incompetent. That's a $400 motherboard. They basically told me "oh well, sorry". I'll stick with this board because I like the features. But when it craps out, I'll never buy another asus product.

im stubborn. I read on here that the service sucks. I thought it couldn't be so bad. Man I was wrong.

16 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Are you sure that you have set the boot ordered so that it boots into the drive you've installed Windows on? This sounds like it's trying to boot from another device or something...

I made sure the boot order was correct. I did every possible troubleshooting. I guess somehow in the process the windows 10 on my SSD got corrupt, or became unreadable somehow.

1 minute ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

I made sure the boot order was correct. I did every possible troubleshooting. I guess somehow in the process the windows 10 on my SSD got corrupt, or became unreadable somehow.

Why not reinstall Windows and see how it goes from there...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

27 minutes ago, Mk7-Golf-R said:

try booting from windows install media and run auto-repair

16 minutes ago, DXMember said:

try booting from windows install media and run auto-repair

I'm up and running now. It wouldn't repair, I had to format all the partitions of the hard drive.

it then let me install windows. I'm trying to put all the drivers back on now.