Microphone placement for general use?

Koshigaya

What's a good position for a microphone that is going used for general use? (Skype, TS, etc.) I have an AT-2020 Mic with a Neewer Suspension Boom. The reason I'm asking this is because I'm trying to posotion the microphone so that I get good audio while not having the microphone be right in my face or blocking anything. I've never had one of these before so I've been playing around with it.

This is a really stupid question.

I don't think it's stupid :)

Well, I think just above your monitor pointed at your mouth (Maybe a bit higher and farther away from yourself) would yield good results.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

8 hours ago, Koshigaya said:

What's a good position for a microphone that is going used for general use? (Skype, TS, etc.) I have an AT-2020 Mic with a Neewer Suspension Boom. The reason I'm asking this is because I'm trying to posotion the microphone so that I get good audio while not having the microphone be right in my face or blocking anything. I've never had one of these before so I've been playing around with it.

This is a really stupid question.

Set it up anyway you like, that makes you comfortable to use, as long as the capsule in the microphone is properly aligned with the sound source.  If you have an omni capsule it doesn't matter as much, but with cardioid capsules it matters because they are more directional.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer