Audio coming from motherboard?

Ryank720

I had my earbuds plugged into my front panel, but I noticed that my windows notification sounds and steam chat sounds were not coming from the earbuds.  I unplugged them, and with no audio devices plugged in, i still heard the sounds.  Not only that but I have sound notifications disabled in Steam but heard the noises anyway.  Any idea where this is coming from? I'm assuming it's the motherboard but why is it doing this, and why only these sounds and nothing else (doesn't play youtube audio, clicking the audio setting in the task bar, etc)? 

Edit: It's a brand new desktop that I just built.  I have not installed any drivers yet other than the video.  Here are the specs:

ASUS mITX Z170I Pro Gaming motherboard

Gigabyte GTX 1070

GeIL EVO Potenza 16Gb

Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb

Windows 10 Pro

Fractal Design Node 202 with built in 450 SFX Power supply

It sounds like the sound may be coming from a speaker from elsewhere on your computer.

It is unheard of for modern desktop computers to broadcast sound directly from the motherboard.

I must then draw the logical conclusion that you may still have something plugged into your computer.

You know that "speaker" thing that comes with your motherboard? It's coming from that when you plug it in, even though that's for initial boot or something.

2 minutes ago, wangyuji431 said:

It sounds like the sound may be coming from a speaker from elsewhere on your computer.

It is unheard of for modern desktop computers to broadcast sound directly from the motherboard.

I must then draw the logical conclusion that you may still have something plugged into your computer.

I don't have any speakers plugged into the desktop though.  Just my monitor, mouse, and keyboard; none of which have a speaker.

1 minute ago, OsuMasterz said:

You know that "speaker" thing that comes with your motherboard? It's coming from that when you plug it in, even though that's for initial boot or something.

Sorry but I'm not sure which speaker thing you're talking about. Could you clarify?

1 minute ago, Ryank720 said:

I don't have any speakers plugged into the desktop though.  Just my monitor, mouse, and keyboard; none of which have a speaker.

Sorry but I'm not sure which speaker thing you're talking about. Could you clarify?

download.jpg this thing

Ah I see.  I didn't install that, unless it came preinstalled

2 minutes ago, Ryank720 said:

The monitor may have audio with it.

Check to see if that is the case.

To redirect audio to your earbuds, simply right click on the audio on your bottom right hand side corner of your screen, and select playback devices.

From there, you can select your earbuds

-tips fedora

1 minute ago, wangyuji431 said:

To redirect audio to your earbuds, simply right click on the audio on your bottom right hand side corner of your screen, and select playback devices.

-tips fedora

All the normal input was working through the earbuds, it's just that those 2 other sounds were coming from somewhere else.  I'm pretty sure this monitor doesn't have speakers either.  Quite the mystery lol

3 minutes ago, wangyuji431 said:

-tips fedora

only if he has true/tru audio or Nvidia's HDMI audio support

or even if he is plugged in through HDMI or DisplayPort

I'm using DVI plugged into a 10 year old monitor.  

1 minute ago, Ryank720 said:

All the normal input was working through the earbuds, it's just that those 2 other sounds were coming from somewhere else.  I'm pretty sure this monitor doesn't have speakers either.  Quite the mystery lol

some computers have small speakers to beep when the cmos battery is depleted.

Perhaps that's the case with your computer.

To verify, check your motherboard supplier for more information on audio compliance.

I'm a little tired so I'll check that tomorrow. Although I'm pretty sure it's not that. I asked my friend to test it and the only time I heard the sound was when he sent me a message. And the sound was identical to the steam notification sound