New PC sometimes not POSTing

Karmek

Hey there!

I have run into a strange situation where my new system won't do a POST. This always occurs when I turn off the PC while the PSU is still powered. If I want to turn on the PC like 30 minutes later it will attempt to POST but won't ever finish. Fans are not spinning and the MoBo's Q-LED shows "00 - Not used".

Any idea what's going on here?

System information:

Spoiler
  • Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Gene
  • CPU: Intel i7-6700K
    • Core clock: 4.6GHz
    • Memory clock: 4.4GHz
    • BLCK clock: 100MHz
    • Core Voltage: 1.3V, adaptive mode
  • RAM: 4x 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws V5
    • Quad-channel kit
    • Clock: 3200 MHz, XMP
    • Voltage: 1.35V, XMP
  • GPU: None (yet)
  • SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 256GB
  • PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W
  •  

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

11 minutes ago, Little Bear said:

All clear. I will try posting with less RAM, shortly.

2 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

It sounds like your PSU may be PSBlew.

Hard to believe. It's all brand new components and the system is booting just fine when it's just powered on (turn the switch/plug in the PSU, then power on).

4 minutes ago, Karmek said:

All clear. I will try posting with less RAM, shortly.

Hard to believe. It's all brand new components and the system is booting just fine when it's just powered on (turn the switch/plug in the PSU, then power on).

Yup, yup. Everything is working fine... Except it isn't. 

PSU issues are renown for being unconventional, and I've personally experienced this issue with a failing PSU.

The computer would fail to power up consistently, but if left for a while, it would boot fine and it worked well for all intents and purposes. I used my PC like that for years. Replaced the PSU, problem gone.

6 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Yup, yup. Everything is working fine... Except it isn't. 

PSU issues are renown for being unconventional, and I've personally experienced this issue with a failing PSU.

The computer would fail to power up consistently, but if left for a while, it would boot fine and it worked well for all intents and purposes. I used my PC like that for years. Replaced the PSU, problem gone.

I just discovered that it also struggles to recover from standby mode. Did this happen to you, as well?

If so I will definately RMA the PSU and try another one.

I have seen some bee quiet! PSU's break for no reason at all, so this would make plenty of sense.

Motivation is where, and what you make of it.

“It is relatively unusual that a physical scientist is truly an atheist. Why is this true? Some point to the anthropic constraints, the remarkable fine tuning of the universe. For example, Freeman Dyson, a Princeton faculty member, has said, ‘Nature has been kinder to us that we had any right to expect.'”  Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Karmek said:

I just discovered that it also struggles to recover from standby mode. Did this happen to you, as well?

If so I will definately RMA the PSU and try another one.

Mine outright couldn't power on from standby, so I didn't use it. When it takes 2 hours to turn you computer on... lol.

So much for design made in Germany. Tricked by my own homeland...

On 18.6.2016 at 4:47 PM, SageOfSpice said:

Mine outright couldn't power on from standby, so I didn't use it. When it takes 2 hours to turn you computer on... lol.

My overclock suddenly causes BSODs and Intel HD causes glitches in some games. Could this also be the PSU's fault?

Average temperature always was 55-58°C.