Can I replace my graphics card after 3 years..?

Xiauj

Ok so, at the moment I'm using an AMD-PC which I've had for about 3 Years.

I had purchased this I guess as a "Pre-built PC" but I got to choose the components if that makes sense.

As well as wanting to replace my CPU-Cooler because of the loud noise, I also was wondering if I could replace my Graphics Card.

Would I be able to replace my current GPU (NVIDIA GTX 650 TI) with 1 (or even 2?) RX 480(s) GPU that AMD is releasing on June 29th, 2016?

Here are the specs:

https://gyazo.com/0dfe0b434d081ba249d85a86c4cb6497

Don't ask why I put a NVIDIA GPU with a AMD CPU, haha.

I was a bit lazy 3 years ago and couldn't be asked to research this kind of stuff but now I'm taking this kind of stuff 101% seriously :D 

Thanks ~ Xiauj

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

Assuming your PSU is half decent, you could swap your graphics card no problem.

(Speaking of no problem, there's absolutely no problem on using an Nvidia GPU with an AMD CPU).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

A RX 480 would work as long as your psu has the necessary pcie power connector (it require a 6 pin). 2 cards would not work as your motherboard only has one full lenght pcie slot. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with pairing an AMD cpu and an Nvidia GPU.

Yes just slap in a single RX480 GPU in there and you'll be good to go...as far as AMD or NVIDIA GPU...your CPU brand has nothing to do with it,,, there is no ''magic bonus'' performance extra when you go all AMD...or intel, nvidia...that's just not how it works.

450W 80+ it's fine and the RX480 power draw is even lower than a 650ti i think...or maybe similar, but anyways it's fine. Do that.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

7 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

(Speaking of no problem, there's absolutely no problem on using an Nvidia GPU with an AMD CPU).

7 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

A single 480 is enough take you to a whole new level of performance.

Crossfire is iffy and won't give you anywhere near double the framerate.

For 1080p, a single 480 is more than enough.

4 minutes ago, Megahurt said:

A RX 480 would work as long as your psu has the necessary pcie power connector (it require a 6 pin). 2 cards would not work as your motherboard only has one full lenght pcie slot. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with pairing an AMD cpu and an Nvidia GPU.

3 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Yes just slap in a single RX480 GPU in there and you'll be good to go...as far as AMD or NVIDIA GPU...your CPU brand has nothing to do with it there is no ''magic bonus'' performance extra when you go all AMD...or intel, nvidia...that's just not how it works.

450W 80+ it's fine and the RX480 power draw is even lower than a 650ti i think...or maybe similar, but anyways it's fine. Do that.

Ooooh sweet! 

Question for all:

When I actually get around to swapping the GPU(s),

• How easy or hard is it? (I've never done it before which is why I ask)
  • Do I need to change settings on the OS or anything like that? (I'm a bit pedantic about certain things and just don't want to lose anything valuable)
  • Anything else I should be aware of because it's my first time doing so..? :P

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Ooooh sweet! 

Question for all:

When I actually get around to swapping the GPU(s) around,

• Do I need to change settings on the OS or anything like that? (I'm a bit pedantic about certain things and just don't want to lose anything valuable)

Shut down computer, remove old video card, install new one in it's place, make sure to plug in the extra power, done.

Since you're switching from nvidia to amd, using something like Display Driver Uninstaller would be a good idea, then install latest drivers from AMD's website.

2 minutes ago, Megahurt said:

Shut down computer, remove old video card, install new one in it's place, make sure to plug in the extra power, done.

Since you're switching from nvidia to amd, using something like Display Driver Uninstaller would be a good idea, then install latest drivers from AMD's website.

Sounds pretty straight forward :)  and self-explanatory!

Do I need to change anything in like, the BIOS on startup or anything like that?

9 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Ooooh sweet! 

Question for all:

When I actually get around to swapping the GPU(s),

1- power off the computer and detach from the wall.

2- Open the side panel

3- Disconect PCIE power cable from old card

4- Remove the little screw holding the card into the case at the back

5- Push the little plastic tab on the pci express slot and pull old card out

6- Push new GPU in firmly into place until it click

7- Install little screw at the back to hold to case

8- Connect PCIe power cable on new card

9- close case, hook up power and turn on the machine

10- install new AMD drivers in windows (download latest driver online)

Good luck...it's very easy...super simple.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

1- power off the computer and detach from the wall.

2- Open the side panel

3- Disconect PCIE power cable from old card

4- Remove the little screw holding the card into the case at the back

5- Push the little plastic tab on the pci express slot nd pull old card out

6- Push new GPU in firmly into place until it click

7- Install little screw at the back to hold to case

8- Connect PCIe power cable on new card

9- close case, hook up power and turn on the machine

10- install new AMD drivers in windows (download latest driver online)

Good luck...it's very easy...super simple.

Sweet! Very self-explanatory as well.

Anything need changing in like the BIOS on startup or anything of the sort..? :P 

2 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Sounds pretty straight forward :)  and self-explanatory!

Do I need to change anything in like, the BIOS on startup or anything like that?

Nope, bios sould automatically detect the gpu.

3 minutes ago, Xiauj said:

Sweet! Very self-explanatory as well.

Anything need changing in like the BIOS on startup or anything of the sort..? :P 

no, windows will detect the new card upon bootup and will install a generic driver for it...after that you download and install the latest AMD crimson driver.

2 minutes ago, Megahurt said:

Nope, bios sould automatically detect the gpu.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

no, windows will detect the new card upon bootup and will install a generic driver for it...after that you download and install the latest AMD crimson driver.

Ok cool, thank you @Megahurt & @i_build_nanosuits !! <3

I really appreciate the help/advice!

1 minute ago, Xiauj said:

Ok cool, thank you @Megahurt & @i_build_nanosuits !! <3

I really appreciate the help/advice!

here is the screw and the plastic tab on the pcie slot you want to look for before you pull out the old gpu...push the plastic tab toward the board while making sure the screw is removed prior...

aid1976417-728px-Install-a-PCI-Express-2

IMG_5049.jpg

1 hour ago, Xiauj said:

Don't ask why I put a NVIDIA GPU with a AMD CPU, haha.

Another old urban myth that just won't die. :)

RX 480 will work with no problem. The 450watt power supply is fine for one card, but you might want to go for 500-550watt if you want to Crossfire two 480s

When switching GPUs from nVidia to AMD (or vice versa) you might want to remove the nVidia drivers at some point, but Windows 10 seems to be better at not having problems with that.

P.S, with reference to the above posts, more often, lately, the tab at the back of the PCIe slot is pushed sideways instead of down. Try to see which way it goes before you use too much force.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD

1 minute ago, Quaker said:

Another old urban myth that just won't die. :)

RX 480 will work with no problem. The 450watt power supply is fine for one card, but you might want to go for 500-550watt if you want to Crossfire two 480s

When switching GPUs from nVidia to AMD (or vice versa) you might want to remove the nVidia drivers at some point, but Windows 10 seems to be better at not having problems with that.

Ok I know this is the Graphics Card section but just for a second could I ask,

Is it easy to replace the PSU..? And do I need to change settings in say.. the BIOS or ..?

And is it easy to replace the CPU-Cooler too? 'coz that might make a bit of noise alongside the RX 480. :/ 

Replacing the power supply is easy (assuming a standard ATX power supply). Just unplug all the cables, making note of what sort of connector goes where. Remove the 4 screws at the back. Reverse procedure to install new supply. No changes to BIOS.

The CPU cooler is a bit more finicky and the exact procedure will vary a bit depending upon the cooler you use. The main concern is the thermal paste. Many coolers come with pre-installed paste, but with some you have to apply it from a small tube.

There are LTT videos on applying thermal paste and installing coolers.

If you are not overclocking, I'd suggest you get a basic cooler such as a CM Hyper 101a, T4, 103, etc.

Try to find an installation video for the particular cooler.

Un-installing the stock cooler is easy enough. For AMD you just release the locking lever and unhopk the latches and then wiggle the heatsink (to loosen the thermal compound) and just pull it off.

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD