Painting side panel

Farncir

Hey guys for anyone with experience with spray painting for computers,

Should I spray the side panel with a primer before painting? Or is the surface good enough to just spray right on top?

I have sanded down all previous paint from the metal surface already

Thank you in advice and all tips would be appreciated :)

If you hadn't already sanded it, I would have suggested Plasti-dipping the side panel first, then just painting on top of that. 

However, since you have already done that, my suggestion would be pointless. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Why paint over the top of Plasti-Dip?

... I forget. Does it come in colors other than black? If so, then don't paint over it. If not, then paint over it. 

Then again, one of the major advantages of Plasti-dip is the ability to pull it off and try again. Such as if you are wanting to draw or paint a picture and you make a mistake.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

If its bare metal then it will need primer,if its alu then it will need a etch coat then primering.

If its a rattle can job then leave the can in hot water for around 10-15 mins,this warms the paint and adds pressure,this will give better atomization when you spray.

The workpiece and spray area should be kept warm,around 18c plus is advised.

Use many thin coats instead of thick,leave 5-10 minutes between coats for the paint to flash off.

Coats should be done within 2 hrs or after 36 hrs,spray between these times can result in paint lift.

For the clear coat,key the surface with a fine grit paper and paint.

Leave a minimum of 3-4 weeks before using an automotive cutting compound to get a high gloss if required.

Masks are a must and not a cheap paper one either.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

sand to give texture -> 2-3 thin coats of primer ->5-6 coats of paint ->2-3 coats of clear coat -> polish if required.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

The surface is bare metal, so priming would be necessary.

Would top coat be necessary? I'm from Australia so I would have no idea where to buy the top coat =\

I also want the surface to have a matte finish

What metal is it? This will determine your first step.

Top coat is the colour you wish to use. Primer is red,grey,white or black normally.

A matt finish is obtained by a matt clear coat.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

What metal is it? This will determine your first step.

Top coat is the colour you wish to use. Primer is red,grey,white or black normally.

A matt finish is obtained by a matt clear coat.

It's made outta steel

It's made outta steel

No etch required,go straight to prime and paint.

Invest in a mask,dual cartridge with a med/high toxicity rating

No etch required,go straight to prime and paint.

Invest in a mask,dual cartridge with a med/high toxicity rating

I would use an etch if it's stainless steel.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I would use an etch if it's stainless steel.

Both Stainless Steel (Chromium Steel, Nickel Chromium Steel) and Galvanised Coated Steels are designed to be a rust free finish to the material and as such they will resist any type of etch primer that is not extremely acidic, and hence hazardous to the user.

The stuff in cans of the high street wont do it,I think its a waste of time myself but its up to you.

Both Stainless Steel (Chromium Steel, Nickel Chromium Steel) and Galvanised Coated Steels are designed to be a rust free finish to the material and as such they will resist any type of etch primer that is not extremely acidic, and hence hazardous to the user.

The stuff in cans of the high street wont do it,I think its a waste of time myself but its up to you.

Yeah true. I guess on a PC case it would be OK. I just remember my brother in law getting the tailgate of his truck painted and it all cracking and peeling off six months in. Come to find it was a stainless tailgate and it should have been painted differently.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure to take the hardware out first.

LOL.

So many things I could write here... things like this.