Need a CPU cooler for air 240

TheMidnightNarwhal
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
1 hour ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

Yeah I'l have to cancel the Be Quiet idea they're out of stock everywhere apparently.

So any suggestions?

With that budget anything from Noctua is out. From all coolers PCPP lists, I would pick Phanteks https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/8t648d/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc12lsbk . Another option is small tower like TX3 from CM. It will be louder than Phanteks because of 92mm fan, but performs bit better. Difference is few degrees on OC'd system... Looks on both are, well, not the greatest. And you can always change more suitable fan to Phanteks.

I'm getting a air 240 for better overall temps, more for GPU, and heard it's great if you go all airflow. If you go watercool, it might be a problem because of hot air getting in. I currently have a h100i and honestly I don't need it. I don't really overclock crazy and I think an air cooler will suffice. Don't want stock because of the looks. I have a lga1150 socket. Further specs in sig. Budget around 50$ CAD and shopping from Canada.

Why don't you try it out with H100i mounted to front as intake (would improve CPU temps) or top as exhaust? The case comes with 3 fans, so you can go with 2 front intakes, H100i as top exhaust.

If you want recommendations for CPU air cooler, please tell price range and location of shopping.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Why don't you try it out with H100i mounted to front as intake (would improve CPU temps) or top as exhaust? The case comes with 3 fans, so you can go with 2 front intakes, H100i as top exhaust.

If you want recommendations for CPU air cooler, please tell price range and location of shopping.

H100i can only fit in the front or bottom. Reason why I want air is I don't need a h100i... I don't even overclock anymore. A nice air cooler would also be silent imo. I'm looking at the Dark Rock TF or LP.

If I put the h100i in the bottom I'm putting hot air on my GPU and same thing the front. Reason why I'm switching case is so I can cool my GPU a bit more.

Budget and Location updated in OT.

Just now, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

H100i can only fit in the front or bottom. Reason why I want air is I don't need a h100i... I don't even overclock anymore. A nice air cooler would also be silent imo. I'm looking at the Dark Rock TF or LP.

If I put the h100i in the bottom I'm putting hot air on my GPU and same thing the front. Reason why I'm switching case is so I can cool my GPU a bit more.

Budget and Location updated in OT.

You have open-air cooled card. It will intake from bottom anyway and exhaust to all other sides. I don't think having rad intake at front will have that big of deal in temps. And you could put it exhausting to front. Then have rear and top as intakes.

Sorry for not looking more closely when I said H100i would fit top too. I assumed when Corsair say top has support for 240mm rads, they mean inside the case and with fans.

That be Quiet! cooler looks like perfect choice. The one review I looked showed it beating even D14 scores and being at par with C14. I'm not so experienced with top-flow coolers, so I'm out on this one.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You have open-air cooled card. It will intake from bottom anyway and exhaust to all other sides. I don't think having rad intake at front will have that big of deal in temps. And you could put it exhausting to front. Then have rear and top as intakes.

That be Quiet! cooler looks like perfect choice. The one review I looked showed it beating even D14 scores and being at par with C14. I'm not so experienced with top-flow coolers, so I'm out on this one.

I don't know... I can always test it first before purchasing an air cooler but it just looks bulky and I like I said I don't really benefit from it, I'm sure it runs louder than a air cooler.

Yeah I'l have to cancel the Be Quiet idea they're out of stock everywhere apparently.

So any suggestions?

1 hour ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

So any suggestions?

With that budget anything from Noctua is out. From all coolers PCPP lists, I would pick Phanteks https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/8t648d/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc12lsbk . Another option is small tower like TX3 from CM. It will be louder than Phanteks because of 92mm fan, but performs bit better. Difference is few degrees on OC'd system... Looks on both are, well, not the greatest. And you can always change more suitable fan to Phanteks.

Edited by LoGiCalDrm
Typos. Reading english and writing finnish does that.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

My h80 is silent so I dont know why your thinking that an aio cooler is noisy. I locked the fans at 700 rpm and my temps are fine.

35 minutes ago, lonewolf5460 said:

My h80 is silent so I dont know why your thinking that an aio cooler is noisy. I locked the fans at 700 rpm and my temps are fine.

It's not that loud but it's just like common sense. A water cooler is bound to make more noise wether it's noticeable or not, water through tubes and a pump.

1 hour ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

With that budget anything from Noctua is out. From all coolers PCPP lists, I would pick Phanteks https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/8t648d/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc12lsbk . Another options if small tower like TX3 from CM. It will be louder than Phanteks because of 92mm fan, but performs bit better. Difference is few degrees on OC'd system... Looks on both are, well, not the greatest. And you can always change more suitable fan to Phanteks.

Yeah phanteks seems perfect! Love the looks, black and silver pipes. I prefer that over copper and gray fins. I can slap one of my current Corsair red fans.. I think I will go with that! I'l have full airflow from the front.

@LoGiCalDrm

You know what, I think I may have a problem. In phanteks very own video where they have the cooler installed, look how pushed and titled the Impact soundcard is. Bottom right of board. 

qL7NOxu.jpg

30 minutes ago, TheMidnightNarwhal said:

@LoGiCalDrm

You know what, I think I may have a problem. In phanteks very own video where they have the cooler installed, look how pushed and titled the Impact soundcard is. Bottom right of board. 

qL7NOxu.jpg

Well as you can see, its the cable pushing soundcard, not cooler itself.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Well as you can see, its the cable pushing soundcard, not cooler itself.

But if you could easily move the cable don't you think they wouldn't have put it so it doesn't affect the card

You can look at thermal take of you want air coolers 

• CPU
    Intel I-7 6700
  • Motherboard
    Msi Z270i Pro Gaming Carbon AC
  • RAM
    16 GB Crucial
  • GPU
    Msi 4gb GTX 960
  • Case
    Corsair 380t
  • Storage
    Seagate FireCuda 1TB
  • PSU
    Random Antec 500w from 2010
  • Display(s)
    Asus VS278
  • Cooling
    Exhaust: LTT NF-F12 Intake: Thermaltake Riing 140mm Orange Heatsink:corsair H75
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G105
  • Sound
    Onkyo 5.1 surround Theater Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10