Quick question about upgrading

Okay, so, I wanna upgrade my rig (It's about 5 years old at this point, maybe older... I can't remember) and I've come to a fork in the road. I was hoping somebody smarter than me could guide me towards the light. I wanna upgrade my CPU, GPU, Mobo, RAM and Case.

I've come up with this so far;

CPU: Intel Core i5 6600k, S1151, Skylake, Quad Core 3.5GHz 6MB Cache, 1150 MHz GPU, 35x Ratio

Mobo: Asus Z170-A, Intel Z170, S 1151, DDR4, SATAe/SATA3 6gb/s, M.2, PCIe 3.0, SLI/CrossFire, VGA/DP/DVI/HDMI, ATX Motherboard

RAM 16BG(2x8GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Pro Series Red

Case: Corsair Carbride 400c Clear, Compact Mid Tower Computer Chassis

GPU: Now this is where my question comes in. I was going to get the MSI Geforce GTX 970 GAMING Twin Frozr 5 - 4GB until my friend told me about the new GTX 1070 and 1080 cards. After looking them up I was interested in the

GTX 1070 which made me think, if I get that card I should probably move to 1440p also, up from 1080p. So my question is.. well I have 2 actually

1. Should I get the components listed as I don't even to pretend to understand issues like 'bottlenecking' and such. (I am not a smart man)

2. Should I get the 1070 over the 970 and move onto 1440p.

My budget is around £700-£800 or $990-£1130 (I hope google is right there) I understand with a 1440p monitor it might be a bit more.

Any other advice would be deeply appreciated.

Thank you.

Quick answers for quick questions:

11 minutes ago, Watson said:

1. Should I get the components listed as I don't even to pretend to understand issues like 'bottlenecking' and such. (I am not a smart man)

Depends on the use cases of your build.

11 minutes ago, Watson said:

2. Should I get the 1070 over the 970 and move onto 1440p.

That's your choice.

And welcome to the forums! :D

Edited by Shahnewaz

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

A GTX 1070 should be able to run 1440p quite well.  If you don't want to spend more money go for an r9 480(approximately 200$) for 1080p/potential 1440p.  The rest of your build looks good. 

Smoke Weed Every Day!

2 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Depends on the use cases of your build.

To enjoy the newest releases in high quality PC master race smooth 90 fps Ultra mega anti-alia...... You get the idea.

Didn't expect a response this quickly, I appreciate it. So yeah it seems the GTX 1070 wih 1440p is the choice to go with. Thanks for the guidance! Now to find a good 1440p monitor.... any suggestions? I can look around myself if not. Cheers either way :)

5 minutes ago, Watson said:

To enjoy the newest releases in high quality PC master race smooth 90 fps Ultra mega anti-alia...... You get the idea.

This is a much better investment for the money. Built specifically for 1080P gaming at max settings.

And if you can wait for Pascal cards to re-stock, then wait for Polaris GPUs as well.

What is your old setup and build specs btw?

Do you need a monitor as well?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£164.28 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£52.38 @ More Computers)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£28.22 @ More Computers)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.88 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 390 8GB Nitro Video Card  (£214.98 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£23.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  (£54.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £578.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-14 20:15 BST+0100

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

9 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

What is your old setup and build specs btw?

Let me get that for you.

Okay some parts I'm not sure about.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Not sure, I seem to have lost the box.

PSU: Some overkill 800W ATX 12v 2.2 one

And I was looking to get a 1440p monitor with a GTX 1070 card which I will probably end up doing. (I currently have 2 1080p ones.)

I bought some new storage recently so I'm good on that front.

59 minutes ago, Watson said:

Okay some parts I'm not sure about.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Not sure, I seem to have lost the box.

PSU: Some overkill 800W ATX 12v 2.2 one

And I was looking to get a 1440p monitor with a GTX 1070 card which I will probably end up doing. (I currently have 2 1080p ones.)

I bought some new storage recently so I'm good on that front.

That looks like a solid build! Why do you want to upgrade?