Questions regarding coax cable.

Maximoose

I am not sure if this goes in networking or not.

So my grandparents had cable, then they got Directv, my grandpa said Directv rewired the whole house with new coax cable. My question is, is there any significant difference between the satellite coax cable and the cable coax cable, or did they do it just for some minor reason? Can I use the satellite cable for OTA TV? And will MoCA adapters work over this satellite cable?

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

20 hours ago, Maximoose said:

I am not sure if this goes in networking or not.

So my grandparents had cable, then they got Directv, my grandpa said Directv rewired the whole house with new coax cable. My question is, is there any significant difference between the satellite coax cable and the cable coax cable, or did they do it just for some minor reason? Can I use the satellite cable for OTA TV? And will MoCA adapters work over this satellite cable?

Is there a difference between satellite and other coax? Not really no, there are many types of coax, the most common for interior wiring are RG59 and RG6. It's possible the satelite company replaced RG59 with RG6. RG6 has less loss over a certain distance than RG59 because the core is thicker. Satelite uses higher frequencies, up to 2GHz, so the loss in the cable becomes more important. Any coax that's good enough for satelite is good enough for other cable uses.

OTA TV works best when each TV has its own antenna directly connected. There are ways to redistribute OTA signals over a cable plant ( all the cables and equipment in a single network/area) but at that point you're basically trying to make your own cable company - the original cable companies had big antennas on hills and rebroadcast the TV signals into towns in valleys via coax and other means.

MoCA should work fine on the coax, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the satellite signals - I've only heard about it being compatible with DOCSIS. I'd make sure that the coax is disconnected from the satellite power inserter and LNB before connecting the MoCA adaptors.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

MOCA will not work with Satellite service. MOCA uses the same frequencies Satellite providers use. As long as you dont have Satellite service on the same COAX then your fine. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.