Ok so I just ordered some parts to build a server. I was originally going to put FreeNAS on it and use the plugins of sickrage, transmission and plex to do all of the work. Now I'm reading that those plugins aren't really that realiable so I'm searching for other solutions.

The thing I'm not looking at is virtualizing FreeNAS and some other OS'es, maybe a windows 10 so I can use a thin client on it and a linux to run some of the plugins I was going to run on FreeNAS. Now I can't really find a good hypervisor basically, or rather I'm still searching. Could anyone give me some advice?

I've tried playing around with exci and KVM but haven't got either of them to work properly yet. UnRAID I will test next but it seems like it's hard to emulate it in virtualbox so I'll see about that later.

I am not the server visualization pro you are looking for. I just want to make sure you are going to be using the right hardware for freenas. mobo and CPU that support ECC ram, yea? And then obviously ECC ram?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

50 minutes ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

I am not the server visualization pro you are looking for. I just want to make sure you are going to be using the right hardware for freenas. mobo and CPU that support ECC ram, yea? And then obviously ECC ram?

@jowdemanne I AM the Virtualization Pro you are looking for. 

For your Hypervisor I suggest VMware's ESXi (linked HERE). It has some nice features, though you WILL need to do some reading/youtubing to fully understand them - also, I am always here for PM when you need help. ESXi (like most enterprise-grade HVs) has something called VMware Tools...instead of your virtual machine communicating with other virtual machines with a (virtualized) 1Gbps NIC, it will communicate with the VMware Virtual NIC (it has its own driver) and the VMs will communicate at BUS SPEED... (~10Gbps) WITH NO EXTRA CONFIGURATION (past installing vmware tools)

Again, I always highly recommend ESXi and I am always around if you need help understanding/setting up/configuring/learning random BS about ESXi. 

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

13 hours ago, Sunshine1868 said:

@jowdemanne I AM the Virtualization Pro you are looking for. 

For your Hypervisor I suggest VMware's ESXi (linked HERE). It has some nice features, though you WILL need to do some reading/youtubing to fully understand them - also, I am always here for PM when you need help. ESXi (like most enterprise-grade HVs) has something called VMware Tools...instead of your virtual machine communicating with other virtual machines with a (virtualized) 1Gbps NIC, it will communicate with the VMware Virtual NIC (it has its own driver) and the VMs will communicate at BUS SPEED... (~10Gbps) WITH NO EXTRA CONFIGURATION (past installing vmware tools)

Again, I always highly recommend ESXi and I am always around if you need help understanding/setting up/configuring/learning random BS about ESXi. 

So to try it out I setup a virtualbox to run the software. This went well and I can connect to it using the client software provided. I've added some drives to try and use them in a virtual Ubuntu, so I made a datastore for the Ubuntu OS and one for the Ubuntu Drives (storage). I added the drives to the virtual machine and tried to start it. I always got the same error over and over again and I don't know what I did wrong.

The error is:

Remote connection failure
Failed to establish transport connection (9): There is no VMware process running for config file /vmfs/volumes/575bf22f-7c12891b-438f-0800270bf3b6/Ubuntu/Ubuntu.vmx.
Disconnected from virtual machine.

Do you know what the problem is?

14 hours ago, {EAC} Shoot em UP said:

Yes I have 28 gigs of ECC RAM, knew it was needed for ZFS, thanks anyway :-)

I think now my biggest problem is that I'm using virtualbox to play around with ESXi but it's not built for that. I think I'm always getting that error because virtualbox doesn't emulate the perfect conditions for installing ESXi :-)