Question Regarding G1 970 PCB

LooneyJuice

This is somewhat of a poll I guess for G1 970 owners. But, I want to ask especially the ones that bought them closest to the actual release whether they've OC'ed the memory (or not) and if so, whether they've run into trouble. 

The reason I'm asking is because GB (And MSI do this as well if I'm not mistaken) have opted to spread the VRAM in front and behind the PCB. Trouble is, the VRAM on the back has no TIM pads and the modules are covered by the backplate (which makes me a very worried boy). I find it concerning as well since, even though my core is less than stellar (barely breaks 1500), my memory has easily hit +650 (even +700 before artifacting) without crashing, which would offer silly gains, but I'm concerned about memory longevity. My thanks for the responses.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

If you are concerned about longevity dial back the OC on the VRAM a bit.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I can only confirm, that dialing your OC back should solve it. +650 is enormous, I got mine to +400 on memory and 135Mhz on the core with an additional 60mV, so a stable boost clock of 1545Mhz. And in most games I have to dial it back even further, to like +200 on memory.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

4 minutes ago, racer243l said:

I can only confirm, that dialing your OC back should solve it. +650 is enormous, I got mine to +400 on memory and 135Mhz on the core with an additional 60mV, so a stable boost clock of 1545Mhz. And in most games I have to dial it back even further, to like +200 on memory.

I know +650 is enormous indeed, and I only ever ran it for a day to see where it'd top out. I was dumbfounded. It turned out to be able to run +700 along with the max core clock, no crashes. I finally got it to artifact at +775. Never touched that number since, been running 500/550 occasionally to make up for the lackluster core. But seeing as I mentioned, It's got mem modules on the back with no TIM pads, I'm sort of opting to stay away from touching the memory altogether. Basically, TL;DR I'm asking if people got their memory to blow up.

Not to mention that with my core, If i back down from the memory that much, it sort of defeats the point. First world problems I know, but 1501/8110 nets me that 10%, anything lower and it's sort of "meh". Thanks for the response though, I do indeed want some actual numbers people are running too. Especially since I can't for the life of me find any Temp measurements of the VRAM aside from some vague Thermal Imaging of the general area through the backplate.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

If you're not messing with memory voltages it shouldn't be an issue, most likely you have Samsung memory, right?  It's very resilient in my experience. 

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

4 minutes ago, Lays said:

If you're not messing with memory voltages it shouldn't be an issue, most likely you have Samsung memory, right?  It's very resilient in my experience. 

Negative, it's actually Elpida! Yes, I laughed heartily as well. And yes, it's stock bios, stock memory voltage. Which is why I pushed it so far, 'cause it wouldn't crap out on stock voltage.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

58 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

I know +650 is enormous indeed, and I only ever ran it for a day to see where it'd top out. I was dumbfounded. It turned out to be able to run +700 along with the max core clock, no crashes. I finally got it to artifact at +775. Never touched that number since, been running 500/550 occasionally to make up for the lackluster core. But seeing as I mentioned, It's got mem modules on the back with no TIM pads, I'm sort of opting to stay away from touching the memory altogether. Basically, TL;DR I'm asking if people got their memory to blow up.

Not to mention that with my core, If i back down from the memory that much, it sort of defeats the point. First world problems I know, but 1501/8110 nets me that 10%, anything lower and it's sort of "meh". Thanks for the response though, I do indeed want some actual numbers people are running too. Especially since I can't for the life of me find any Temp measurements of the VRAM aside from some vague Thermal Imaging of the general area through the backplate.

Hm, I get your problem... Anyway I never heard of anybody blowing up memory modules with a stock bios. I would say, as long as you stay in the limits of the stock bios it should be fine (like additonal voltage).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

16 minutes ago, racer243l said:

Hm, I get your problem... Anyway I never heard of anybody blowing up memory modules with a stock bios. I would say, as long as you stay in the limits of the stock bios it should be fine (like additonal voltage).

Yeah I'd never touch memory voltage. Even if all VRAM modules were on the top with TIM pads, I still wouldn't push it knowing that the bulk of the cooling is concentrated on the core. My original assumption was: If the memory responds that well to stock voltage and running it at +500 is still a clear 175-200mhz below its ceiling, does not artifact, and has 0 impact regarding crashes and instability, it should actually be a good enough and efficient sample to not fry itself by generating way too much heat. But seeing as I can't find any data to back that up, and metrics regarding VRAM are extremely rare, I wanted to sort of sample experiences on the forum. Thanks a lot for the input, much appreciated.

Spoiler

Dark backgrounds I crave 

57 minutes ago, LooneyJuice said:

Yeah I'd never touch memory voltage. Even if all VRAM modules were on the top with TIM pads, I still wouldn't push it knowing that the bulk of the cooling is concentrated on the core. My original assumption was: If the memory responds that well to stock voltage and running it at +500 is still a clear 175-200mhz below its ceiling, does not artifact, and has 0 impact regarding crashes and instability, it should actually be a good enough and efficient sample to not fry itself by generating way too much heat. But seeing as I can't find any data to back that up, and metrics regarding VRAM are extremely rare, I wanted to sort of sample experiences on the forum. Thanks a lot for the input, much appreciated.

No problem, always glad to help:)