Getting a new ISP - Pls help. (Verizon or Comcast)

This pains me so much. But soon I'll be moving, and with that, comes a new ISP.
I currently have RCN, and I'm relishing every last second I have. I pay $53/mo for 110 Down / 15 Up, no service fees, no mandatory equipment rentals, no rate increases, nothing. Same price, always. Consistent service. No bandwidth caps. Reliable internet. I'm aware that all of this is about to change.

The two companies servicing my new location are Verizon and Comcast (Satan and Lucifer, it seems). Comcast being the more affordable (on the surface) of the two.

I need opinions, I need stories, I need to know how to put up with the BS that I KNOW is in my future. 

Should I pay for a VPN? Does Comcast really have disgusting bandwidth caps? Are there hidden fees? Do I have to go to war to use my own equipment? What's the best value compatible modem (DOCSIS or whatever the fuck). I'm a computer guy, but by no means a networking/ISP guy. I need teh knowledge pls. Halp.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

All I can offer is a story. I was doing a clan wars tournament for my World of Tanks clan a few years back, when we got to our final match. We had a 40 minute rest period when my internet went down. I called up Comcast, who was my ISP at the time and they basically told me that it sucks dude, can't do anything about it. I was pretty pissed because they didn't do anything for like 3 days. I have Version now and I haven't had any problems with them. Probably doesn't help with your decision making, but just what I have seen.  

Don't get comcast, they suck.  They'll force you to use their equipment, which sucks.  As for the data caps I think they recently upped the limit, but it won't matter because they'll throttle you to no end.  They advertise "up to XXMb/s", which is how they get away with charging you for the speed, but never delivering it.  I switched to uverse which isn't a great trade off, but it's still better.

I've never had Verizon internet, but I can't imagine that it could be worse than comcast.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

4 hours ago, xeromynd said:

This pains me so much. But soon I'll be moving, and with that, comes a new ISP.
I currently have RCN, and I'm relishing every last second I have. I pay $53/mo for 110 Down / 15 Up, no service fees, no mandatory equipment rentals, no rate increases, nothing. Same price, always. Consistent service. No bandwidth caps. Reliable internet. I'm aware that all of this is about to change.

The two companies servicing my new location are Verizon and Comcast (Satan and Lucifer, it seems). Comcast being the more affordable (on the surface) of the two.

I need opinions, I need stories, I need to know how to put up with the BS that I KNOW is in my future. 

Should I pay for a VPN? Does Comcast really have disgusting bandwidth caps? Are there hidden fees? Do I have to go to war to use my own equipment? What's the best value compatible modem (DOCSIS or whatever the fuck). I'm a computer guy, but by no means a networking/ISP guy. I need teh knowledge pls. Halp.

If you can get Verizon FIOS then I would do that. If its Verizon's shit DSL service then get Comcast. Caps depend on where you live. Atlanta Georgia has Caps. Here in metro Detroit we dont have caps. You will want to buy a modem and tell them you dont want phone service. Here where I live, Comcast offers good internet service quality. Lucky for us because they are the only ISP in my area. 

3 hours ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Don't get comcast, they suck.  They'll force you to use their equipment, which sucks.  As for the data caps I think they recently upped the limit, but it won't matter because they'll throttle you to no end.  They advertise "up to XXMb/s", which is how they get away with charging you for the speed, but never delivering it.  I switched to uverse which isn't a great trade off, but it's still better.

I've never had Verizon internet, but I can't imagine that it could be worse than comcast.

They dont force you to use their equipment unless you have their phone service. I have owned my own modem with Comcast for 2 years. No issues. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Verizon FIOS > Comcast > Verizon DSL

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: