Reinstalling OS on MBP 2010

Hi!

I had a 2010 MacBook Pro whose drive died on me and I left it alone for a while. I recently got a 120 GB 850 evo to try and revive for my little brother to use. When I boot it up and try and install Windows or OSX from a disc (I have a win 7 install disc and an OSX 10.6 install disc that came with the laptop) it is incredibly slow, much slower than I remember it. The windows install just gets stuck at the "Starting Windows" screen. I left it for 2 days before killing it. The OSX Install gets to formatting the drive. If I tell it to partition the drive as a single partition (Mac OS Journaled) it will do it after a while but the name will never be what I told it to be (I told it to name it OSX and it names it like sc17). But when I get back to the install screen, it doesn't recognize the drive, like it just won't appear. If I tell it to erase and reformat as Mac Os Journaled, it gets to about halfway and then gets stuck with the estimated time just going up. I left that for 2 days before killing it. I have tried resetting PRAM with no further success. any advice?

This is more of a troubleshoot post, and I fear a hardware post. 

Have you tried booting a live linux from a thumb drive even for diagnostics? I suspect theres an issue with the mobo/drive controller or ram.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

4 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

This is more of a troubleshoot post, and I fear a hardware post. 

Have you tried booting a live linux from a thumb drive even for diagnostics? I suspect theres an issue with the mobo/drive controller or ram.

I tried booting a Win7 usb and it didn't recognize it? And is there a better place to post this?

1 minute ago, cdsboy2000 said:

If the model supports it try using an existing mac to make a bootable El Capitan USB and install that. I just did that for some old MCPs my friend had. Might be a bug in the 10.6 installer.

Will do and get back to you.