Diagnosing slow R/W speeds on a SSD

DanielKhosa
Go to solution Solved by Sakkura,

A HDD with >50 MB/s 4K QD1 writes? Are you trolling?

I've got a nice throughput on my net and I am able to download games at a reasonable rate but, I have noticed that all that gets throttled by my SSD.

low disk speed..PNG

Has anyone had this issue before, and if so, what steps did you do to fix it? 

Best steps to diagnose the issue aswell ?

Are you sure that's what's going on?  Try running CrystalDiskMark to be sure.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I believe it's the other way around - your network speeds are lower and the disk goes only as fast as the network can provide

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Are you sure that's what's going on?  Try running CrystalDiskMark to be sure.

low disk speed..PNG

Doesn't look healthy. Seq used to be double.

1 minute ago, DanielKhosa said:

low disk speed..PNG

Doesn't look healthy.

Those look like perfectly normal HDD speeds or a very sickly SSD.

Regardless I don't think it's bottlenecking your downloads though

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Those look like perfectly normal HDD speeds or a very sickly SSD.

Yeah, It's a SSD mate, I wouldn't otherwise be this worried. :(

2 minutes ago, DanielKhosa said:

Yeah, It's a SSD mate, I wouldn't otherwise be this worried.

How full is it now, or has ever been?

haha, my HDD has faster speeds

I must have a process eating my drive.

low disk speed..PNG

2 minutes ago, DanielKhosa said:

haha, my HDD has faster speeds

I must have a process eating my drive.

low disk speed..PNG

(other than the terrible sequential writes) Those look like SSD speeds to me.  I'ver never seen a HDD score more than about 2 in either 4K test, never mind those insane numbers.

No, I found that my SSD isn't my boot on this OS.

I've literally just mixed the scores by mistake thinking my C was an SSD. But, Trolling, does sound better.

My Bad.

No, I found that my SSD isn't my boot on this OS.

I've literally just mixed the scores by mistake thinking my C was an SSD. But, Trolling, does sound better.

My Bad.

well glad you figured it out :)

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

(other than the terrible sequential writes) Those look like SSD speeds to me.  I'ver never seen a HDD score more than about 2 in either 4K test, never mind those insane numbers.

Would it be in my interest to get a new SSD on my next purchase, I have been waiting holding out for the 1070 with a twin fan like the 1080, but, if my data isn't going to be consistant I might as well buy a new one with the graphics card  ?

Would it be in my interest to get a new SSD on my next purchase, I have been waiting holding out for the 1070 with a twin fan like the 1080, but, if my data isn't going to be consistant I might as well buy a new one with the graphics card  ?

Well considering that you have had your OS on the HDD and didn't even notice, I'd say that SSD is probably just fine for you, but if you would like to upgrade, pretty much anything is faster than that.  Get a Samsung 850 evo or something like that.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Well considering that you have had your OS on the HDD and didn't even notice, I'd say that SSD is probably just fine for you, but if you would like to upgrade, pretty much anything is faster than that.  Get a Samsung 850 evo or something like that.

Thanks. That is pretty cheap for a 250GB.

Wow. half gig read/write. Thats pretty good!

Wow. half gig read/write. Thats pretty good!

That's what it should be! :P  Saturates the SATA III connection.