Best case for travelling?

Andrewf
Go to solution Solved by TheRandomness,
12 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

I was just being a silly goose, but that doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

People have done it.

amd-kaveri-briefcase-system-2-645x537.jp

I'm travelling to Greece, I'll be working on set, and my job is media wrangling. I can't get into more details because of NDA but basically i'm offloading footage from the camera. My laptop is old, and I worry it might crap out on me. I'm going to be constantly next to an outlet, so that's not an issue. I'm considering migrating my computer to a smaller case. My PC specs are on my profile but they are.

ATX board.

GTX 770, (not required)

i7 4790k

SSD

TONS of HDD space, but I don't need it, I can do with JUST my SSD, the footage will be offloaded to an external RAID drive.

I'll be using simply USB 3.0 for it all, so basically I'm just looking for the smallest PC case I can find and fit my computer in, preferably with a handle? Not sure if they have those.

Thanks!

AT

7 minutes ago, Andrewf said:

I'm travelling to Greece, I'll be working on set, and my job is media wrangling. I can't get into more details because of NDA but basically i'm offloading footage from the camera. My laptop is old, and I worry it might crap out on me. I'm going to be constantly next to an outlet, so that's not an issue. I'm considering migrating my computer to a smaller case. My PC specs are on my profile but they are.

ATX board.

GTX 770, (not required)

i7 4790k

SSD

TONS of HDD space, but I don't need it, I can do with JUST my SSD, the footage will be offloaded to an external RAID drive.

I'll be using simply USB 3.0 for it all, so basically I'm just looking for the smallest PC case I can find and fit my computer in, preferably with a handle? Not sure if they have those.

Thanks!

ATX is hard to accommodate for when it comes to travel friendly sizes

but this is one of the smallest I found GD09

Dendrotoxin

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4Ghz | GPU: Zotac AMP! 1070 @ 2GHz | RAM Crucial Balistix 2x4GB | PSU EVGA G2 750w | Cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 | Case Phanteks Eclipse P400s | Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Gaming Z170 | Storage: Toshiba 3TB HDD and MyDigitalSSD M.2 256GB

Perripherals

Keyboard(s) Razer Ornata Chroma, Razer Tartarus Chroma | Mouse: Logitech G502 Spectrum | Headphone: Audio Technica M40x | Monitor HP 22CWA

20 minutes ago, VictorianReaper said:

ATX is hard to accommodate for when it comes to travel friendly sizes

but this is one of the smallest I found GD09

Good find!

1 minute ago, TheRandomness said:

This. Build your PC into a small suitcase.

I leave June 11, although a cool concept, I don't have time. Maybe after!

1 minute ago, Andrewf said:

Good find!

I leave June 11, although a cool concept, I don't have time. Maybe after!

Just saying, I have a GD09 and everything fits and the build quality is really nice although cable management is a bitch :P

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

23 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

This. Build your PC into a small suitcase.

I was just being a silly goose, but that doesn't sound like a terrible idea.

8 hours ago, TheRandomness said:

People have done it.

amd-kaveri-briefcase-system-2-645x537.jp

Solid, until the luggage crew tosses this into the cargo bay like a football.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2016 at 9:57 PM, Aereldor said:

Solid, until the luggage crew tosses this into the cargo bay like a football.

hahaha, well hopefully you would take it as a carry on!

16 minutes ago, Andrewf said:

hahaha, well hopefully you would take it as a carry on!

I'm fairly certain you'd come up against some resistance to walking on a plane with what looks like a bomb. Sorry but it does. I used to travel a lot with PC gear, at times I had to go through extra security bomb testing swabs with just my laptop. "I can turn it on and show you it's a laptop if you want?" "no no! don't turn it on!" I took a big gulp when he put his rubber glove on - but that's another story.. 

You can get flightcases that accommodate computers, or what about the intel NUC that was recently reviewed on linustechtips? 

1 minute ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

I'm fairly certain you'd come up against some resistance to walking on a plane with what looks like a bomb. Sorry but it does. I used to travel a lot with PC gear, at times I had to go through extra security bomb testing swabs with just my laptop. "I can turn it on and show you it's a laptop if you want?" "no no! don't turn it on!" I took a big gulp when he put his rubber glove on - but that's another story.. 

You can get flightcases that accommodate computers, or what about the intel NUC that was recently reviewed on linustechtips? 

Interesting.. Well I'm already in Greece, I got my laptop through customs just fine, as well as over $100,000 worth of camera gear along with other crew members and their laptops. Not sure why you had a problem. I've had friends bring their desktops on planes before, it doesn't look like a bomb, I don't know who's working your airport security but they don't seem very sharp. Anyway, doesn't seem like you quite understood my situation, but thanks for the story.

2 minutes ago, Andrewf said:

Interesting.. Well I'm already in Greece, I got my laptop through customs just fine, as well as over $100,000 worth of camera gear along with other crew members and their laptops. Not sure why you had a problem. I've had friends bring their desktops on planes before, it doesn't look like a bomb, I don't know who's working your airport security but they don't seem very sharp. Anyway, doesn't seem like you quite understood my situation, but thanks for the story.

I did literally thousands of flights in that job, it wasn't every time. 

5 minutes ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

I did literally thousands of flights in that job, it wasn't every time. 

Well i'll pray for those people working at the airport security who thought it looks like a bomb.

you do know bombs can be concealed in laptops right? they have special swab tests and machines that test of explosive material (if you use skin moisturizer, it can give a false positive btw!) that suitcase PC looks well suspect IMO. 

ATX is a little hard to travel with, you should try mini itx if you want it as small as possible, if so the corsair 380t looks sick :D

23 hours ago, Mrhappyjolly said:

you do know bombs can be concealed in laptops right? they have special swab tests and machines that test of explosive material (if you use skin moisturizer, it can give a false positive btw!) that suitcase PC looks well suspect IMO. 

I'm well aware they can be hidden in a many things. I'd like to think they know what they're doing at JFK airport in NY. I've been through many times with my laptop, considering it's gone through no problem every time, airport security that aren't knowledgeable enough to easily recognize the difference shouldn't be working in airport security.

I brought a few kgs of wet porcelain clay through once and they had to inspect it, that's the only time I've ever had a problem, but it's a very uncommon item. Laptops are common, security should be well trained to detect actually suspicious materials, and NOT have to stop people due to false positives. I think you're just using sketchy laptops.