Laptop CPU upgrade

Hi. I have a 6 years old MSI EX465 MX laptop that is running on pentium T4500. I am just wondering if I can upgrade the processor to core 2 duo t9600? I have already search for cpu compatibility for this laptop but I can't find any reliable answer. By the way those 2 processors both supports socket P (478). Any thoughts? thanks. 

P.S. It is listed on the msi website that this laptop has core 2 duo processor but it doesn't indicate what particular version of core 2 duo it supports. That's why I am wondering why this is bundled with intel pentium t4500 when I bought it.

There are extremely few if any laptops that let you change the CPU out for a different one.  They are generally soldered directly to the custom motherboard and thus not interchangeable.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

There are extremely few if any laptops that let you change the CPU out for a different one.  They are generally soldered directly to the custom motherboard and thus not interchangeable.

Yes. But this one is interchangeable I have already checked it that's why I am wondering if this is compatible with core 2 duo t9600. thanks :)

6 minutes ago, Ron Ivan said:

Yes. But this one is interchangeable I have already checked it that's why I am wondering if this is compatible with core 2 duo t9600. thanks :)

I don't think you can swap the T4500 for a T9600; the T4500 is PGA478 and the T9600 is BGA479

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't think you can swap the T4500 for a T9600; the T4500 is PGA478 and the T9600 is BGA479

Huh, all I can find is that they are both "socket P". Never even heard of that. I would honestly contact MSI and ask them.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Huh, all I can find is that they are both "socket P". Never even heard of that. I would honestly contact MSI and ask them.

I agree. I saw that these are both socket P. That is why I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade my current cpu to core 2 duo. I've already message msi but until now there is no response from them.

1 minute ago, Ron Ivan said:

I agree. I saw that these are both socket P. That is why I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade my current cpu to core 2 duo. I've already message msi but until now there is no response from them.

Apparently the T9600 has an extra pin and is a completely different kind of socket (ball grid array vs pin grid array).  If I'm right they would definitely not be compatible.

Apparently the T9600 has an extra pin and is a completely different kind of socket (ball grid array vs pin grid array).  If I'm right they would definitely not be compatible.

Yeah... again I would contact MSI and just ask if you're not sure. Seems like a slim chance though.

9 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Yeah... again I would contact MSI and just ask if you're not sure. Seems like a slim chance though.

MSI already replied to my question they say that they have tested  I5 430M in ex465mx and it works. But how come it is possible if core i5 430m is socket PGA988 and t4500 is PGA 478? 

MSI already replied to my question they say that they have tested  I5 430M in ex465mx and it works. But how come it is possible if core i5 430m is socket PGA988 and t4500 is PGA 478? 

good question

2 minutes ago, Ron Ivan said:

Honestly, could not have less idea. 

4 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

good question

it seemed to me that they don't know what they are talking about.

7 minutes ago, Ron Ivan said:

It's not. MSI tech was just ill-informed, though I doubt he has many people asking about laptop CPU upgrades.

The fastest you can get is the Core 2 Extreme X9000. It will fit the PGA 478 socket just fine. That T9600 should also work as well.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

5 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

It's not. MSI tech was just ill-informed, though I doubt he has many people asking about laptop CPU upgrades.

The fastest you can get is the Core 2 Extreme X9000. It will fit the PGA 478 socket just fine. That T9600 should also work as well.

Really? you think core 2 extreme X9000 will work on msi ex465mx?

Now the next thing to consider is the thermal solution.  Just because it fits (and whether or not it does is another story), doesn't mean the laptop was designed to be able to handle the heat output of the chip you are installing.

3 minutes ago, Ron Ivan said:

The only thing potentially stopping it is BIOS support, though it is fairly unlikely.

Still, with ebay prices, I wouldn't put $100 on even an educated guess.

Cooling is also another matter. No use having an unlocked chip if it can't stretch it's legs a bit.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Now the next thing to consider is the thermal solution.  Just because it fits (and whether or not it does is another story), doesn't mean the laptop was designed to be able to handle the heat output of the chip you are installing.

You're right. 

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

The only thing potentially stopping it is BIOS support, though it is fairly unlikely.

Still, with ebay prices, I wouldn't put $100 on even an educated guess.

Yeah. That is why I'm still inquiring about the possibility of an upgrade because I don't want to spend on something not guaranteed to work.