Recreating battery pack

hak4fun

I need to recreate a 8.4v 7 cell battery pack. Basically this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-4V-1000mAh-Ni-MH-Rechargeable-Battery-7-Cells-For-HobbyZone-RC-Plane-Car-Boat-/151355768317?hash=item233d81bdfd:g:274AAOSw7I5Tw5-r

I am not sure how I would go about wiring that up... Can someone give me alittle help?

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Why would you want to do it yourself? Do you already have the cells? 

Assuming you do, you will need either a high power soldering iron or spot welder. Also some aluminium/zinc strips for connections. Then 8.4V 7 cells should be all 7 cells connected in series, assuming your cells are 1.2V.

If you ask me, not worth the trouble unless you already have the materials and tools ready.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

17 hours ago, Huntsman said:

Why would you want to do it yourself? Do you already have the cells? 

Assuming you do, you will need either a high power soldering iron or spot welder. Also some aluminium/zinc strips for connections. Then 8.4V 7 cells should be all 7 cells connected in series, assuming your cells are 1.2V.

If you ask me, not worth the trouble unless you already have the materials and tools ready.

I have the tools required, I have done this before with a different pack. I just wanted to make sure I understood how this specific pack was put together.

I can buy the cells for $5, and build the packs myself and save $7 per pack Thats quite abit of money sense I need somewhere around 6 battery packs so I can do continous flight.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

1 hour ago, hak4fun said:

I have the tools required, I have done this before with a different pack. I just wanted to make sure I understood how this specific pack was put together.

I can buy the cells for $5, and build the packs myself and save $7 per pack Thats quite abit of money sense I need somewhere around 6 battery packs so I can do continous flight.

But wouldn't li ion be better then ?

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

On 6/2/2016 at 1:07 PM, hak4fun said:

I need to recreate a 8.4v 7 cell battery pack. Basically this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/8-4V-1000mAh-Ni-MH-Rechargeable-Battery-7-Cells-For-HobbyZone-RC-Plane-Car-Boat-/151355768317?hash=item233d81bdfd:g:274AAOSw7I5Tw5-r

I am not sure how I would go about wiring that up... Can someone give me alittle help?

Ni-MH are a nominal 1.2V batteries so the 7 batteries would be wired in series to give a total 8.4V

3 hours ago, Mihemine said:

I guess if I wanted to change my whole ecosystem. Almost all my RC stuff runs on Nimh. Don't want to invest in a new battery type right now.

3 hours ago, Mihemine said:

I guess if I wanted to change my whole ecosystem. Almost all my RC stuff runs on Nimh. Don't want to invest in a new battery type right now.

But NiMH is not efficient in terms of power to weight ratio. LiPo would fare better in that regard. Also be sure to balance charge the cells if you put them in series like that.

The Internet is invented by cats. Why? Why else would it have so much cat videos?

On 6/3/2016 at 11:44 PM, Huntsman said:

But NiMH is not efficient in terms of power to weight ratio. LiPo would fare better in that regard. Also be sure to balance charge the cells if you put them in series like that.

This is true. but... I have already invested in Ni-MH. I do plan to switch to liPO, just not right now. I want to do it all at once.