About to do my first pc build.

Been watching Linus' videos for a bit now, and that is what broght me to this forum.

I'm gunna be doing my first PC build in about a week, but I would love any feedback and advice the forum member here can offer.

My budget is fairly large as I have been saving for a while, but all together I would like to spend under 2k usd. We have two old large and mid size towers with power supplies and periferals  I can use, and as much as possible I would prefer the savings of buying used components for my build.

I plan to get a 1440p monitor, and might possibly consider a second small reference monitor for productivity purposes. I do audio and some video work as a hobby, and as a student being able to procrastinate by gaming is also critical ;)

So far here is what I'm thinking:

I7 5820K (with medium overclocking to about 4.0) new - $375

Asus X99-A ATX mobo used - $150

980ti Gigabyte G1 gaming OC (would probably like to run two in SLI for future 4k set up) used - $460

Cosair Vengance 4x8 DDR4 new - $127

Samsung 850 Pro 250Gb repurposed (in future would like to get a good m.2 once they come down in price) - free :)

I'm looking for recommendations for a water cooler for the 980ti

Also I will need some kind of cooler for the cpu, but I am rather handy with tools and a generally thrifty person. Would an old air heatsink or the heatsink off the GPU be enough to cool the CPU if I adapted them?

I still need to do more research on good monitors, but my underatanding is that true 4k gaming is out of my budget's reach. So I would rather have high color fidelity 1440 than cheap 4k for video work.

Thanks,

Jason

Wait until June 10 and get the more powerful and cheaper 1070.

Intel Core i7 4790 CPU  - Stock cooler - Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

Samsumg Evo 250gb SSD - Segate 2TB - NZXT S340 Mid-tower.

And I think a i7 6700k would be better for gaming.

Intel Core i7 4790 CPU  - Stock cooler - Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

Samsumg Evo 250gb SSD - Segate 2TB - NZXT S340 Mid-tower.

4 minutes ago, Bluepyro said:

Been watching Linus' videos for a bit now, and that is what broght me to this forum.

I'm gunna be doing my first PC build in about a week, but I would love any feedback and advice the forum member here can offer.

My budget is fairly large as I have been saving for a while, but all together I would like to spend under 2k usd. We have two old large and mid size towers with power supplies and periferals  I can use, and as much as possible I would prefer the savings of buying used components for my build.

I plan to get a 1440p monitor, and might possibly consider a second small reference monitor for productivity purposes. I do audio and some video work as a hobby, and as a student being able to procrastinate by gaming is also critical ;)

So far here is what I'm thinking:

I7 5820K (with medium overclocking to about 4.0) new - $375

Asus X99-A ATX mobo used - $150

980ti Gigabyte G1 gaming OC (would probably like to run two in SLI for future 4k set up) used - $460

Cosair Vengance 4x8 DDR4 new - $127

Samsung 850 Pro 250Gb repurposed (in future would like to get a good m.2 once they come down in price) - free :)

I'm looking for recommendations for a water cooler for the 980ti

Also I will need some kind of cooler for the cpu, but I am rather handy with tools and a generally thrifty person. Would an old air heatsink or the heatsink off the GPU be enough to cool the CPU if I adapted them?

I still need to do more research on good monitors, but my underatanding is that true 4k gaming is out of my budget's reach. So I would rather have high color fidelity 1440 than cheap 4k for video work.

Thanks,

Jason

Hmmmmm.............

How about instead of watercooling the 980ti you can get a new 1070 for around that price of the 980 ti and have great 1440p performance, and in the future if you're gonna look for 4k, you can just sell it and get a 1080. But firstly I'd wait for the RX 480 benchmarks to see what those 200(230)$ can offer.

Be sure to get an IPS monitor for dem colors, and for the cooler.... An AIO for the cpu will be great for 4GHz+ overclocks and an aftermarket cooled GPU will do more that good

15 minutes ago, Rhett Quigley said:

And I think a i7 6700k would be better for gaming.

I have read that the 6700k would have a slight edge in gaming, but the 6 cores in the 5820k are gunna be pretty great for my video work.

In your opinion how soon will the 1070's be getting to customers? I ask because my bother will be in town the 2-3 week of June, and I would like to be able to have this computer going by then.

I dont know if theres any reason you're not doing this, but the new I7 6800k is out (6 core 12 thread). Broadwell-E is stomping Hasewell-E across the board right now. As far as i know they are outperforming their current hasewell counterparts pretty significantly (not enough that if you have hasewell you would want to upgrade, but enough that if you dont have either you really should go for broadwell)

So my recommendations against your current build are that if you are going for a 6core, get the 6800k, not the 5820k. Get a brand new 1070 instead of a used 980ti (it will preform better, last longer, AND cost less money). the 1070 would do fine without custom water cooling (assuming you get something like a windforce or ACX cooled card, or some other non reference ''blower'' design). Dont try to jerryrig your CPU cooling, especially if you're overclocking. there are MANY cheap air cooled solutions out there that would work just fine for less than 50 bucks. or full on AIO watercooling for 100 bucks. As far as 4k gaming goes, you could probably play most games with a 1070 in 4k at high/ultra/maxed (with some AA and other minor effects turned slightly down) settings at smooth framerates, but if you're the kind of person who loves getting framerates pinned at 60 (or even 144) on max settings, then yeah a single 980ti or 1070 wont do it for you.

But theres also absolutely nothing wrong with building what you've already listed if that's what your heart is set on that. it should serve you well in either case.

@Zeinone

I can keep watching the RX 480 until the 1070 comes out, that would make sense. Also thanks for the tip on the monitor.  

@Zyndo

Alright, I guess $70 is worth it to get the newest generation processor. And $70 turns out to be how much I would save by going with the 1070 once it comes out too, so that's perfect.

Nope my heart is not set on anything in particular here, and I've never played anything at 60fps+ except Minesweeper and Solitaire.

So I'll get an actual CPU cooler too, makes sense to pertect my CPU investment.

Thanks for the post