Dual Ethernet Connection Bridging

Hi, I have a 2 routers at home, both on different networks (both with an internet connection), i also have a small server running Windows Home Server 2012 which i use for file sharing and video streaming.

I want to find a way to connect the server to both networks simultaneously, so computers on both networks can have a wired connection to it (to make streaming easier). but i want both routers to keep their own internet connection.

I was thinking about buying a Dual port Gigabit NIC to put in the server, then connecting it to both routers and bridging the connections, just wandering if that would work or if there is an easier way.

Thanks. 

All you need to do is setup your router port for trunking on VLANs to allow both networks to connect. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Just connect the computer to both networks - don't bridge the ports together. Your computer will get an IP address on each network. The only thing that may be hard to control is which network the server defaults to when it needs to access the internet.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

50 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Just connect the computer to both networks - don't bridge the ports together. Your computer will get an IP address on each network. The only thing that may be hard to control is which network the server defaults to when it needs to access the internet.

OK, so how could I control which network is default? i assume it would be a configuration in the server's network settings?

Windows makes the decision based on the route weight. You can view and change route weights using the route command line program: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490991.aspx To change the route's weight, you change the "metric".

Note that even though this is a page from Windows XP, AFAIK it is still the only way to change ip routes even up through Windows 10. The last time I used it was in Server 2012 R2 Update, which is equivalent to Windows 8.1 Update 1.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: