motherboard phases and bios

acepro71
Go to solution Solved by mgsstar,

so the only question remains phases does not decrease power of ram or cpu right cause what if they do not get enough voltage? 

If you aren't going to overclock, the voltages for your cpu and ram will be fine. You would need more power phases when you are overclocking because you would most likely need to increase the stock voltages in order to handle the voltages.

currently i have a 4+ 1 phase motherboard and i am running 8350 on it :) 

it runs great my question is does changing to a higher phase motherboard increases performance ?>

cause i think it only controls voltage so it will only be useful if i overclock am i wrong ? 

and what bios is better normal or uefi for non touch monitors  ?

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

Case: CM elite 310 | Monitor: Aoc e2050S

OS: Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit NOW  Wndows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Power Supply: Cooler Master Thunder 500W NOW GX 650W v2

Having a better motherboard means that you will be able to achieve better and more stable overclocks because the voltage is distrusted to more phases. UEFI because you can use your mouse and keyboard to navigate around the bios instead of just using the keyboard. If you want to get a better motherboard, I would get the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Having a better motherboard means that you will be able to achieve better and more stable overclocks because the voltage is distrusted to more phases. UEFI because you can use your mouse and keyboard to navigate around the bios instead of just using the keyboard. If you want to get a better motherboard, I would get the ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0.

what if i am not overclocking is this motherboard fine then ? 

CPU: Fx 8350 | CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo Now  AMD STOCK CPU COOLER | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (rev 1.1)   NOW MSI 990FXA-GD80 | Ram: Corsair Vengence 8GB DDR3 Motherboard detects 7gb for some weird reason | Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB GDDR5 |  HDD: 1 TB samsung 

what if i am not overclocking is this motherboard fine then ? 

Yeah if you aren't doing any overclocking the motherboard that you are currently using will be fine.

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Yeah if you aren't doing any overclocking the motherboard that you are currently using will be fine.

so the only question remains phases does not decrease power of ram or cpu right cause what if they do not get enough voltage? 

If you aren't going to overclock, the voltages for your cpu and ram will be fine. You would need more power phases when you are overclocking because you would most likely need to increase the stock voltages in order to handle the voltages.

ok thanks a lot :) does voltages increase as well only for ram  like from 1300 to 1600 mhz ? 

as i have an external gpu i do not think overclocking it would fuk voltage what do u think as it is an external gpu 

ok thanks a lot :) does voltages increase as well only for ram  like from 1300 to 1600 mhz ? 

as i have an external gpu i do not think overclocking it would fuk voltage what do u think as it is an external gpu 

If you are overclocking your ram from 1300 to 1600mhz, you most likely wouldn't have to increase voltage (maybe a bit but not much). If you increase your voltage for your ram, you would have a lower clock for your cpu because you supplied the voltage to the ram (I might be wrong about this). The voltage on the gpu is provided by the psu so it doesn't relate to the motherboard.

Mine has 4+2 phases. It doesn't hold any voltages without considerable vdroop above 1.45v. More phases is stable voltages. At 1.5v in BIOS it drops to 1.40 under load. At 1.42v in bios it drops to 1.40v under load. My 8350 can't recieve stable 1.45v under load at any setting in BIOS, not even 1.55v.

Air 540, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 4770K, SLI EVGA 980Ti, 16GB Vengeance Pro 2133, HX1050, H105840 EVO 500, 850 Pro 512, WD Black 1TB, HyperX 3K 120, SMSNG u28e590d, K70 Blues, M65 RGB.          Son's PC: A10 7850k, MSI A88X gaming, MSI gaming R9 270X, Air 240, H55, 8GB Vengeance pro 2400, CX430, Asus VG278HE, K60 Reds, M65 RGB                                                                                       Daughter's PC: i5-4430, MSI z87 gaming AC, GTX970 gaming 4G, pink air 240, fury 1866 8gb, CX600, SMSNG un55HU8550, CMstorm greens, Deathadder 2013

Mine has 4+2 phases. It doesn't hold any voltages without considerable vdroop above 1.45v. More phases is stable voltages. At 1.5v in BIOS it drops to 1.40 under load. At 1.42v in bios it drops to 1.40v under load. My 8350 can't recieve stable 1.45v under load at any setting in BIOS, not even 1.55v.

same here 

thanks a bunch to both of u for helping me :)