New Build: Buy a 970 or wait for 1070

NeoZeon

Hey guys, this is my current build:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zWnwr7 sans graphics card

I'm wondering if its worht waiting for the 1070 (and the extra $$$$) over the 970 and save a few bucks. My fear is that my cpu will bottleneck my GPU if i get the 1070.... I plan on playing Paragon/Overwatch/oldergames. If I buy a 970 the price comes in under 1000 dollars to... which is appealing... 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

the benchmarks just came out so it's your call if it is worth the extra dollars. If you're planning on gaming in 1080p and no to demanding games probably go for the 970. But your cpu wouldn't bottleneck even a 1080, so don't worry about that. (do you plan on overclocking?)

2 minutes ago, NeoZeon said:

Hey guys, this is my current build:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zWnwr7 sans graphics card

I'm wondering if its worht waiting for the 1070 (and the extra $$$$) over the 970 and save a few bucks. My fear is that my cpu will bottleneck my GPU if i get the 1070.... I plan on playing Paragon/Overwatch/oldergames. If I buy a 970 the price comes in under 1000 dollars to... which is appealing... 

Buy a cheap used one like the HD 7970. Should max out games in 1080p. Wait nitl next year and upgrade with the money you saved to the GTX 11 Series or the RX 5X0 series. Or wait for polaris, we had some leaks on it today, and RX (not R9?) 480 looks really good for price of 970.

Almost breaking sig rules 1.0

1 minute ago, DarkRuskov said:

the benchmarks just came out so it's your call if it is worth the extra dollars. If you're planning on gaming in 1080p and no to demanding games probably go for the 970. But your cpu wouldn't bottleneck even a 1080, so don't worry about that. (do you plan on overclocking?)

I have an LGUM95 ... so there is that high resolution... and I wont be over clocking. 

I have a 2019 macbook pro with 64gb of ram and my gaming pc has been in the closet since 2018

as i said benchmarks are out so you can check them to decide. If you don't plan on overclocking save yourself some money and go for the non K version of the cpu.

i would wait for non-reference (non founders edition) of the GTX 1070

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

37 minutes ago, NeoZeon said:

Most likely, it'll be the 1070 that ultimately limits your framerate. However, if the games aren't GPU-heavy, the CPU may ultimately end up being what limits your framerate. Likely, you're probably going to get well over 200 FPS depending on how CPU-intensive the game is, so it's no big deal. Even the Intel Core i3-6100 has a library of AAA games that it doesn't actually bottleneck, which is why some people pair it with GTX 960s, R9 380s, and even GTX 970s.

Besides, that NH-C14 is a pretty beefy CPU cooler, so you have plenty of room to overclock your CPU if you want an even higher FPS ceiling.

You can also just stick with the IGPU until you get your 1070, as it's perfectly capable of playing some games on low and possibly medium settings. Otherwise, whether or not you want to wait depends on if you want a gaming rig now or in a few weeks. The GTX 970 is a good card, but the 1070 outshines it, and it will take its spot soon after it comes out.

1 hour ago, Kavawuvi said:

You can also just stick with the IGPU until you get your 1070, as it's perfectly capable of playing some games on low and possibly medium settings. Otherwise, whether or not you want to wait depends on if you want a gaming rig now or in a few weeks. The GTX 970 is a good card, but the 1070 outshines it, and it will take its spot soon after it comes out.

Yes, I'm going to buy everything now and wait for the 1070. This looks like a decent gaming rig?