Speaker suggestions?

I've been researching into sub £300 studio monitor's for about 2 weeks now as I plan to get a pair very soon. I have been able to narrow my choices down to the Audioengine a5+'s and the Yamaha HS7's, I did think about the KRK ROKIT 6's but I've heard they're not quite as good as the other two mentioned. I'm not an audio creator or mixer, just an enthusiast who's looking to get into the audio game.

Has anyone been able to compare these two sets of speakers? I'm looking to listen to high quality music, watch movies, play games etc. If I get the a5+'s, I'll be getting the Audioengine D1 dac with them too, I'm not sure what I'll be getting with the HS7's though. Could anyone help me out please? Size is not an issue, I can get them both for £300 for the pair also, so price is not an issue.

stay away from audioengine they are overpriced. How much are the JBL lsr 305 for a set. Oh and most of those speakers you mentioned are sold alone so the price might be only for one speaker, the same ges for the lsr 305.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

@Dackzy The JBL's are £220 for a pair, and the Yamaha are £320 for the pair, on several sites they are this price for the pair. Why do you day this about the audioengines? I've heard really really good things about them, most of the reviews i've read say how they prefer them to most if not all other monitors in the price category? This would include the HS7's, JBL, KRK etc

4 hours ago, Yuddy said:

@Dackzy The JBL's are £220 for a pair, and the Yamaha are £320 for the pair, on several sites they are this price for the pair. Why do you day this about the audioengines? I've heard really really good things about them, most of the reviews i've read say how they prefer them to most if not all other monitors in the price category? This would include the HS7's, JBL, KRK etc

it is a known fact that audioengine has a premium on all of their things. I don't know who you have heard, but all of my sound friends would rather have the HS7 or KRK over the audioengine and one of them work at a studio. The lsr305 is good if you want to save a little cash, but if you don't I would pick the HS7 over the KRK, mainly because the driver for the bass and mids are bigger.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

So I don't know how much actual research  you've done on speakers, but these are literally the best option at your price point. They aren't out yet, but they're basically a generational upgrade from the speakers referenced in the description. 

https://www.chanemusiccinema.com/loudspeakers/chane-loudspeakers/A1.4

Before you see the ugly website and technical terms that you don't understand that make you turn away, be sure to look up actual reviews of these and look up information on the motor technology they talk about. These things aren't designed to be high contrast and "cool", they're designed to be the best possible sounding speakers they can be. This is a small company that makes small runs of their gear from time to time, not some huge corporation pumping old tech out of a factory for years. 

The name of the company has changed and I can't remember what the series was originally called, but you should be able to find something.

Also keep in mind that these aren't powered so you'd need to find a desktop amp for them as well.

36 minutes ago, MisterDeadeye said:

*snip*

I don't think I quite follow this... you say they are not out yet, but you also say that they are the best and that you can look up reviews.  Am I missing something here?  Because that doesn't make sense to me.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I don't think I quite follow this... you say they are not out yet, but you also say that they are the best and that you can look up reviews.  Am I missing something here?  Because that doesn't make sense to me.

Sorry, I stumble over my words at times. The speakers I linked to are basically the A1rx-c with slightly modified components to better suit a smaller enclosure(with other tweaks that are supposed to improve tonality to at least some degree). Reviews of the originals and of the other models: A2rx-c, A3, etc., will essentially tell you what you need to know, as with each of the different models, the only difference is the level in output. They're all designed to have the same frequency response, with the same crossover; each enclosure is made to scale in such a way that the response curve is the same. I've talked to Jon through e-mail a few times, and I know he's got an account on some audio forum(not sure which one and I'm not going to give free advertisement to another forum regardless), and he really does know what he's doing. I would have suggested the originals but they're out of stock, and with the new entry releasing soon, it doesn't look like they're(the A1rx-c) are going to be available anymore. 

What I meant to say was to look at reviews of the models that are available now, to look at information regarding the technology used, to glean an idea of what they will be like. Information regarding the motor design: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2DetailsPaper.pdf

Keep in mind, the people who invented it made subwoofers, which were arguably the best sounding subs available -- so much so that years after they went out of business, other companies started making them again due to the demand. 

More XBL^2 stuff: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/XBL2ExecSummary.pdf

They talk about more output, but what they mean is that they don't require a ton of power to achieve the excursion necessary to put out an acceptable SPL at lower frequencies like you need with other motor designs. 

One last thing, when you see the frequency range Chane shows in their specs, take note that it's +-3dB, whereas other companies are +-5dB or don't even state what the variation is because it's drastic. The cutoff shown of 45Hz, -6dB means there's a filter at a -6dB/octave slope at 45Hz, not that at 45Hz it's -6dB from the standard curve. Which, if you aren't an audio freak, means that at 45Hz, the sound level is mechanically cutoff at a slow rate, meaning more extension on the low end(cutoffs are typically either -6dB, -12dB, or -24dB).

2 minutes ago, MisterDeadeye said:

*snip*

ok that makes more sense :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

6 hours ago, SSL said:

Shill alert level raised to yellow.

Say what you want. I'm a 24 year old broke college dropout living in a one bedroom apartment. I contacted Jon as a customer. 

I've just been browsing audio forums and reading reviews and information for a long time. What I stated about XBL^2 and about the engineering going into Chane's speakers were facts. 

If you really think I'm a shill then you should look at the rest of my posts. Am I also a Seasonic, NVIDIA, and Intel shill? 

Spoiler

No.