Video game themes

threadysparrow

I am putting this in the PC section because there is no generic video game section and most of these games can be found on PC. I want to see what you guys think and add more if you want.

I just finished The Last of Us and it is such an emotional roller coaster that it made me think about the quality of storytelling in video games and what role thematic elements play in those stories.

I compiled a list of some games that I thought had good stories and what themes I found in them starting with, you guessed it...

The Last of Us: Hope. Loss. Change

Red Dead Redemption: Redemption. Revenge

Bioshock: Manipulation. Capitalism. Evolution.

Tomb Raider: Survival. Birth. Growth

Deus Ex: Totalitarianism. Terrorism.

Fallout: Death. Tribalism.

Modern Warfare 2: Betrayal. Evilness.

Half Life 2: Totalitarianism. Manipulation. Rebirth

I get 60 frames at 1080p on a dual core APU. Ask me how.

AMD FX 8350 CPU / R9 280X GPU / Asus M5A97 LE R 2.0 motherboard / 8GB Kingston HyperX Blue 1600 RAM / 128G OCZ Vertex 4 SSD / 256G Crucial SSD / 2T WD Black HDD / 1T Seagate Barracude HDD / Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU / Coolermaster HAF 922 Case

Battlefield: battles, fields

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

Chocolate ram where it's at!

but seriously 

GTA IV: do whatever you want

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

One thing that should always be mentioned in the same breath as Deus Ex is "conspiracy"

Speaking of conspiracies:

MGS1: Heritage and morals surrounding genes in medicine. Also focuses on how your genes only defines your limits, what you do within those limits and how you develop yourself is what defines who you are. 

MGS2: Legacy, what we leave behind for future generations. There's also censorship and maybe to some extent, a warning about how the world is helpless without computers and how easily they can be monitored/manipulated.

MGS3: A lot about patriotism here. What would you do for your country? Would you be able to recognize it if what you do for your flag is wrong? Will you still march on and do what it takes? I guess values is the key word

MGS4: Are we de-humanizing war? (i'm thinking drones etc.). Have/will we reach(ed) point where those who decide are so out of touch that they don't realize what they make other humans do? Have economics had too big a role in declaring war? 

And for all four: Nukes are bad, war is not something to be glorified, and bring a cardboard box!

One thing that should always be mentioned in the same breath as Deus Ex is "conspiracy"

Speaking of conspiracies:

MGS1: Heritage and morals surrounding genes in medicine. Also focuses on how your genes only defines your limits, what you do within those limits and how you develop yourself is what defines who you are. 

MGS2: Legacy, what we leave behind for future generations. There's also censorship and maybe to some extent, a warning about how the world is helpless without computers and how easily they can be monitored/manipulated.

MGS3: A lot about patriotism here. What would you do for your country? Would you be able to recognize it if what you do for your flag is wrong? Will you still march on and do what it takes? I guess values is the key word

MGS4: Are we de-humanizing war? (i'm thinking drones etc.). Have/will we reach(ed) point where those who decide are so out of touch that they don't realize what they make other humans do? Have economics had too big a role in declaring war? 

And for all four: Nukes are bad, war is not something to be glorified, and bring a cardboard box!

Really great post I enjoyed that, I am an MGS aficionado too.

Here's a few games that come to mind, and the first themes that I think of with each.

Final Fantasy - Distant Goals, Personal Development, Companionship, Maths and Tactics, Taking Turns, Living in a Different World.

Deus Ex - Conspiracy, Cloaks, Technology, Corruption, Stealth.

Metal Gear Solid - Espionage, Loyalty, Morality, Masculinity, Poetry and Patriotism, Discovery of the Self.

Dishonored - Witchcraft, Stealth, Chaos, Death.

Metro 2033/Last Light - Loneliness, Apocalypse, Corruption of Nature, Devastation, Determination, Survival.

Monkey Island - Logic, Wit, Intrigue.

Witcher - Power and Responsibility, Sexuality, Morality, Fantasy.

Mass Effect - Evolution, Emotion, Racial Integration, Morality, Responsibility, War.

Grand Theft Auto - Freedom, Satire, Music, Violence.

Assassins Creed - Parkour, History, Mythology.

Really great post I enjoyed that, I am an MGS aficionado too.

Thanks. Although, after I have given it some thought, I fell I missed one vital point with MGS2, how information can be controlled and manipulated in order to control the people

GTA4: The price of revenge and peace of mind.

Mass Effect:

Quatrains vs Geth: Israel vs Palestine. I would say there's strong parallels.

Krogans and genophage vs the Salari: consequences of playing with nature and playing god. Very complex subject. Dare I say there are some parallels to the "western world" introducing all their advancements to new, more primitive cultures. The suffering of the krogan infants doesn't seem all that different to me than the vast amounts of children in Africa who suffers. The genophage sounds like the stories of settlers bringing infected goods to the natives. These might be of track, but I cannot un-see them either.

And off course what to do with AI when it has real intelligence. Is it then a living thing because it's self aware and has cognitive functions? In it ok for us to control it and put it down? And then there's the Rachnii and extinction... Mass Effect brings up a lot, too much in fact, for me to bother talking about it all