Decent laptop in $400(ish) range.

My laptop died, and, while I will soon be building a desktop, I was wanting something decent for travel, school etc. that can run some less demanding games. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Expanding my knowledge, but not there yet.

Old laptop was an unmodified Dell Inspiron N5040 w/ 2.53GHz Intel core i3, 3MB L3 Cache, and 4GB DDR3(let me know if there is anything else relevant). Would prefer not to take a step backwards.

Thanks in advance

You're basically going to end up with the same specs, and finding something that can run "demanding games" is impossible without turning everything down and the resolution to 1024x768 (or 800x600 if the game supports that) and accepting at best 30FPS.

You might find something better if you look at the used market.

3 minutes ago, doagtgl said:

My laptop died, and, while I will soon be building a desktop, I was wanting something decent for travel, school etc. that can run some less demanding games. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Expanding my knowledge, but not there yet.

Old laptop was an unmodified Dell Inspiron N5040 w/ 2.53GHz Intel core i3, 3MB L3 Cache, and 4GB DDR3(let me know if there is anything else relevant). Would prefer not to take a step backwards.

Thanks in advance

Go to walmart and pick one you don't hate the trackpad on? Otherwise shop for a used or refurbished deal from newegg or someplace.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

Typo, meant to say "less demanding" games. Changed it. Aware I may wind up turning most current games down, but everything I own currently could run fine on my old laptop.

Ah, yeah, either way you're pretty much stuck going to a brick and mortar store and finding what you like since you're not going to find anything much better than your old laptop (also depending on how old it really is, a Pentium now may be as good as that processor)

10 minutes ago, doagtgl said:

Typo, meant to say "less demanding" games. Changed it. Aware I may wind up turning most current games down, but everything I own currently could run fine on my old laptop.

This is an okay deal, a bit over 400 though... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232837

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

20 minutes ago, doagtgl said:

Thanks in advance

ASUS TP550L

I'm typing this on that laptop right now, it's nice, I bought it on sale for $400 from the microsoft store.