Disk 1 hits 100% usage while playing games, but....

Fortress

When playing Cities Skylines, Disk 1 (my primary hard drive with the OS and other programs) always hits 100% usage while loading a map, and then it would crash almost 80% of the time. But the weird thing is, I have Cities Skylines installed on my second hard drive, which in this case is Disk 0. Disk 0 barely gets 2% usage when playing, which I find very odd. Is this a normal thing? 

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

4 minutes ago, Fortress said:

When playing Cities Skylines, Disk 1 (my primary hard drive with the OS and other programs) always hits 100% usage while loading a map, and then it would crash almost 80% of the time. But the weird thing is, I have Cities Skylines installed on my second hard drive, which in this case is Disk 0. Disk 0 barely gets 2% usage when playing, which I find very odd. Is this a normal thing? 

I'm 80% sure you've got your drive numbers mixed up.

That or the game is trying to access a critical file in the OS (maybe a .net file) and its on a corrupted sector or the software itself is corrupted.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

7 minutes ago, JefferyD90 said:

I'm 80% sure you've got your drive numbers mixed up.

That or the game is trying to access a critical file in the OS (maybe a .net file) and its on a corrupted sector or the software itself is corrupted.

It would be probably the second reason, since the drive numbers are correct and that's how its shown in task manager. I might try running Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Capture5.PNG

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

6 minutes ago, Fortress said:

It would be probably the second reason, since the drive numbers are correct and that's how its shown in task manager. I might try running Auslogics Disk Defrag.

Capture5.PNG

Task manager isn't the place to look for disk assignments.  Disk Management is where you want to go.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

1 minute ago, JefferyD90 said:

Task manager isn't the place to look for disk assignments.  Disk Management is where you want to go.

It's still the same.

Capture6.PNG

7 hours ago, Fortress said:

Capture5.PNG

So I see that you have 8GB Ram and your C drive is a SSD.

One question: How many assets/props/mods do you use, if any?

Then its the question whether Steam itself is located on the C drive and the actual games on D/E.

Yesterday I got my 240GB SSD to play games with shorter loading times. Because of not even 50 CS Workshop objects, but which are high demanding, sometimes the loading screen and the music get stuck. While loading CS, the CPU and the SSD are under high usage due to those demanding mods and sometimes it crashes while loading.

Even 8 GB of RAM can be not enough with CS mods.

Without any or just low demanding Steam Workshop items, there are no issues at all. 

Another thing would be to check the S.M.A.R.T  parameters of drive C.

Intel 530? -> Intel SSD Toolbox or something like this to check it. (You can use any other suitable program, but I guess the official one is optimised for Intel SSDs).

Simmarized I think it is more of corrupted file or the CPU to slow (You asked the other day about an upgrade?)

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

On 5/25/2016 at 7:44 AM, annoyingmoments said:

So I see that you have 8GB Ram and your C drive is a SSD.

One question: How many assets/props/mods do you use, if any?

Then its the question whether Steam itself is located on the C drive and the actual games on D/E.

Yesterday I got my 240GB SSD to play games with shorter loading times. Because of not even 50 CS Workshop objects, but which are high demanding, sometimes the loading screen and the music get stuck. While loading CS, the CPU and the SSD are under high usage due to those demanding mods and sometimes it crashes while loading.

Even 8 GB of RAM can be not enough with CS mods.

Without any or just low demanding Steam Workshop items, there are no issues at all. 

Another thing would be to check the S.M.A.R.T  parameters of drive C.

Intel 530? -> Intel SSD Toolbox or something like this to check it. (You can use any other suitable program, but I guess the official one is optimised for Intel SSDs).

Simmarized I think it is more of corrupted file or the CPU to slow (You asked the other day about an upgrade?)

Sorry for the late reply.

I only use 4 mods (Auto Bulldoze, All Space Unlock, Road Color Changer and Toggle Traffic Lights) and only 5 assets from the workshop (most of them I created from the asset editor). But I did try disabling all custom mods and assets but it's still the same. I think it may be a problem with the expansions, because I never experienced any problems like this when I was playing the first release of C:S back in 2015, but I'm a bit skeptical about that being true. 

And yes, I was the one who posted with the title, "Cities: Skylines with 4 cores",  since I may be upgrading my system because C:S doesn't play very well on two cores.

EDIT:

I may just end up removing the two expansions (After Dark and Snowfall) if I can't solve this problem since I don't use the features they offer (International Airports, Trams, Leisure specialization, etc.) and some even straight up destroy the gameplay, well for me anyways (Game performance during night time is awful, and game slows down when it's snowing or raining)

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 0:10 PM, Fortress said:

It's still the same.

Capture6.PNG

Have you done a disk check?

Spoiler

No, actually. I may schedule one later. I'm gonna try it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

4 hours ago, Fortress said:

Sorry for the late reply.

I only use 4 mods (Auto Bulldoze, All Space Unlock, Road Color Changer and Toggle Traffic Lights) and only 5 assets from the workshop (most of them I created from the asset editor). But I did try disabling all custom mods and assets but it's still the same. I think it may be a problem with the expansions, because I never experienced any problems like this when I was playing the first release of C:S back in 2015, but I'm a bit skeptical about that being true. 

And yes, I was the one who posted with the title, "Cities: Skylines with 4 cores",  since I may be upgrading my system because C:S doesn't play very well on two cores.

EDIT:

I may just end up removing the two expansions (After Dark and Snowfall) if I can't solve this problem since I don't use the features they offer (International Airports, Trams, Leisure specialization, etc.) and some even straight up destroy the gameplay, well for me anyways (Game performance during night time is awful, and game slows down when it's snowing or raining)

Well it more and more sounds like your CPU can not handle the game aswell as before, but the updates brought us new content which may be the reason why you experience difficulties. Sorry that I can not help you any further. The amount of mods/assets is not high.

Wait a second, did you try a new map after disabling all that content?

And does the problem only appear in C:S?

SilentOcean

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC Gaming ACX 3.0 MB: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK, RAM: Corsair XMS3 4x4GB RAM, Storage: Samsung Evo 840 SSD@120GB, Samsung Evo 850 SSD@1TB, Intel 535 SSD@240GB PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 500W Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Cooling: Cryorig H7, 2xFractal Design GP-14, 1xNoctua NF-A14 FLX OS: Windows 10 Home

47 minutes ago, annoyingmoments said:

Well it more and more sounds like your CPU can not handle the game aswell as before, but the updates brought us new content which may be the reason why you experience difficulties. Sorry that I can not help you any further. The amount of mods/assets is not high.

Wait a second, did you try a new map after disabling all that content?

And does the problem only appear in C:S?

I've decided to remove the expansions packs, and I am correct. Cities: Skylines runs with decent framerates (30-45 FPS with a population of 10K). I will be upgrading this CPU to a better one (an i5-4960, as mentioned in my old post), probably in the next couple of months. As I've already said before it won't be a huge problem for me since I don't use most of the features the two expansion packs bring. 

Thank you @annoyingmoments and @JefferyD90 for your help! I appreciate it. 

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Just in case someone faces the same issue, and stumbles across this thread, I've had the exact same issue and I've solved it.

The problem is you don't have enough RAM for loading a map properly. Therefore, Windows will use pagefile.sys in addition to the RAM in order to load the map.

Which is, according to your screenshot, located on C:. Hence the 100% disc usage.

I've had the exact same issue : Cities Skylines was installed on my SSD, but pagefile.sys was on a HDD. I had 100% HDD usage while loading a map because of this. I moved the page file to my (obviously much faster) SSD, and now I can load a map properly (still with a bit of waiting because I have a ton of mods installed, but the game doesn't crash anymore).

Either you need to add more RAM to your computer, or change the page file location to a SSD if you own any.