Small Business

chriscoolzap
Go to solution Solved by dricha36,
10 minutes ago, brwainer said:

You do know that dental records are covered under HIPAA requirements and other laws pertaining to medical records right? If this were any other small business I'd gladly offer my suggestions, but since this is medical I have to strongly suggest that you hire a consultant who has experience setting up networks that are HIPAA compliant.

Hopping in here..

I run a technology services company in my area, and we have a few clients who are small medical companies (mainly chiropractors) who are also subject to HIPPA compliance. There are not any clear-cut guidelines for HIPPA computer network compliance, but here are some of the basic "best-practices" we've implemented to ensure that you will not get cited for HIPPA violations. 

1) All client data MUST (MUST MUST MUST) be encrypted. I recommend a Windows 10 machine with Direct Attached Storage (drobos are GREAT) and Windows bitlocker.

2) Share out client data from a central machine by mapping drives from other machines with credentials (DON'T share the folder to everyone)

3) NEVER store client data on mobile devices. In a best case scenario, client data should be on a single, well protected machine (That locks itself after 1 minute of inactivity)

4) Maintain physical security - put file servers and other network tech in a locked room (or a locked server rack bolted to the floor)

5) Limit network access. Don't leave unused network jacks live, and avoid WiFi for internal networks as much as possible

6) Public WiFi NEEDS to be on it's own connection (having it's own public IP). The easiest way to do this is to put the ISP's modem in bridge mode, and plug in two separate routers. One for public WiFi and one for the company network.

7) All machines accessing client data need to be runnnig a currently-supported version of windows (no XP). Windows 10 is preferred

8) Run a commercial grade endpoint protection suite on EVERY machine. I recommend Sophos Cloud - great security and annual cost is pretty damn low (only like $15 a machine if I remember right) 

9) If a device doesn't need to be on the internal network (the network over which client data is shared) than it shouldn't be. Even if you aren't implementing public WiFi, I would have a separate network for phones, tablets, ect.

10) Do not use a NAS. EVER. NEVER EVER. Client Data should only be locally accessible, and should be shared out as mentioned above. This shared folder needs to be accessible only with credentials. 

11) ALL machines need to lock automatically after a short period of inactivity. The shorter, the better (no longer than 3 minutes)

Hey, Im on around a 500-750 dollar budget on networking for my dad's small business. What would you recommend for a safe, fast, and easily manageable network?  (16 port Switch )<->(Router)<-> (Acess point)  our modem is provided by fios 

CPU: Intel Core I74790k

How many people, is the cabling in the building already done? Do you have a CCNA ect..? Do you want a manage switch or unmanged? Do you need WiFi, do you have security cameras? Are you DHCP or static? How many wired printers, do you need a print server? How many Vlans do you need? Do you have a rack? Do you need a storage server?

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

1 minute ago, Luc401 said:

How many people, is the cabling in the building already done? Do you have a CCNA ect..? Do you want a manage switch or unmanged? Do you need WiFi, do you have security cameras? Are you DHCP or static? How many wired printers, do you need a print server? How many Vlans do you need? Do you have a rack? Do you need a storage server?

around 10 users, cabling in building is already done just need equipment , no, managed switch, i need wifi, no security cameras, static, around 3 wired printers, dont have a rack , i need a storage server 

8 minutes ago, chriscoolzap said:

around 10 users, cabling in building is already done just need equipment , no, managed switch, i need wifi, no security cameras, static, around 3 wired printers, dont have a rack , i need a storage server 

Alright thank you very much for answering those questions sir, i was trying to be a jerk and wanted to see how determined you were to get an answer, looks like you do need some help! Thank you. So you would most likely only need a 24 port and under switch that 100 megabit maybe gigabit. For AP's ive only ever used high end 250$/AP from cisco with a console soooo I cant help with that really, but i might be able to help you with your decision. How nice of a storage server do you need and do you need a rack for it or any ideas. 

So yeah do you need a rack for this would be the next question and is there a location/server room in the building for this or just on a desk?

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

the storage server has to be around 1-2 tb prob in raid config. and how much do racks usually go for because i would be more than willing to get one 

3 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

Alright thank you very much for answering those questions sir, i was trying to be a jerk and wanted to see how determined you were to get an answer, looks like you do need some help! Thank you. So you would most likely only need a 24 port and under switch that 100 megabit maybe gigabit. For AP's ive only ever used high end 250$/AP from cisco with a console soooo I cant help with that really, but i might be able to help you with your decision. How nice of a storage server do you need and do you need a rack for it or any ideas. 

So yeah do you need a rack for this would be the next question and is there a location/server room in the building for this or just on a desk?

the storage server has to be around 1-2 tb  prob in raid config. and how much do racks usually go for because i would be more than willing to get one 

3 minutes ago, chriscoolzap said:

the storage server has to be around 1-2 tb  prob in raid config. and how much do racks usually go for because i would be more than willing to get one 

also storage server needs to be good enough to handle about 5-6clients at a time 

1 minute ago, chriscoolzap said:

TBH the rack would probably be one of the most expensive parts of the build. If you only need a 1-2TB storage server in raid Id recommend a 2-4 bay NAS In a raid 1 with another external HDD to copy for offsite backups. If your only going 1-2tb with a nas a rack is not needed most likely.

Heres what I would run for storage, 

Sorry for CAD only noticed your in the US a second ago.

NAS, something like this give or take ~ http://www.ncix.com/detail/qnap-ts-231-2bay-arm-cortex-a9-77-103446.htm

Drives 3TB WD reds arnt a bad price RN espically for you US folks http://www.ncix.com/detail/western-digital-red-3tb-sata3-a0-74269.htm

Offsite backup - http://www.ncix.com/detail/seagate-expansion-3tb-usb-3-0-d0-107829.htm 

PS.If you ever want help with this idea in the future id love to help.

2 minutes ago, chriscoolzap said:

also storage server needs to be good enough to handle about 5-6clients at a time 

Is the business going to be working from excel,word ect, or will it be truckmate, yackpack and stuff like that? Also what are you guys using for an email server right now?

17 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

Is the business going to be working from excel,word ect, or will it be truckmate, yackpack and stuff like that? Also what are you guys using for an email server right now?

client is dexis all its doing is pulling photos, information on people, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

how about a router is the ubquiti edgerouter pro good?

1 minute ago, chriscoolzap said:

Alright, so just teeth xrays and stuff seems pretty simple. Might want to setup system specs just incase tho right, cant hurt. Im going to ask some guys from my work tomorrow about this and get back to you.

1 minute ago, Luc401 said:

Alright, so just teeth xrays and stuff seems pretty simple. Might want to setup system specs just incase tho right, cant hurt. Im going to ask some guys from my work tomorrow about this and get back to you.

okay thanks i really appreciate it 

9 minutes ago, Luc401 said:

by the way any recommendations on a router

by the way any recommendations on a router

Not particularly, do you have fiber coming into your modem? Is there a modem? What is the modem like model number?

yes we have fiber optics going into the modem modem is located in a office easily can be changed the model number is https://www.verizon.com/home/accessories/fios-quantum-gateway/

Yeah I think it might be a good idea to look into the router to, whats your bandwidth like?

2 hours ago, chriscoolzap said:

You do know that dental records are covered under HIPAA requirements and other laws pertaining to medical records right? If this were any other small business I'd gladly offer my suggestions, but since this is medical I have to strongly suggest that you hire a consultant who has experience setting up networks that are HIPAA compliant.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

10 minutes ago, brwainer said:

Hopping in here..

I run a technology services company in my area, and we have a few clients who are small medical companies (mainly chiropractors) who are also subject to HIPPA compliance. There are not any clear-cut guidelines for HIPPA computer network compliance, but here are some of the basic "best-practices" we've implemented to ensure that you will not get cited for HIPPA violations. 

1) All client data MUST (MUST MUST MUST) be encrypted. I recommend a Windows 10 machine with Direct Attached Storage (drobos are GREAT) and Windows bitlocker.

2) Share out client data from a central machine by mapping drives from other machines with credentials (DON'T share the folder to everyone)

3) NEVER store client data on mobile devices. In a best case scenario, client data should be on a single, well protected machine (That locks itself after 1 minute of inactivity)

4) Maintain physical security - put file servers and other network tech in a locked room (or a locked server rack bolted to the floor)

5) Limit network access. Don't leave unused network jacks live, and avoid WiFi for internal networks as much as possible

6) Public WiFi NEEDS to be on it's own connection (having it's own public IP). The easiest way to do this is to put the ISP's modem in bridge mode, and plug in two separate routers. One for public WiFi and one for the company network.

7) All machines accessing client data need to be runnnig a currently-supported version of windows (no XP). Windows 10 is preferred

8) Run a commercial grade endpoint protection suite on EVERY machine. I recommend Sophos Cloud - great security and annual cost is pretty damn low (only like $15 a machine if I remember right) 

9) If a device doesn't need to be on the internal network (the network over which client data is shared) than it shouldn't be. Even if you aren't implementing public WiFi, I would have a separate network for phones, tablets, ect.

10) Do not use a NAS. EVER. NEVER EVER. Client Data should only be locally accessible, and should be shared out as mentioned above. This shared folder needs to be accessible only with credentials. 

11) ALL machines need to lock automatically after a short period of inactivity. The shorter, the better (no longer than 3 minutes)

Well this looks like intense than i thought.

22 hours ago, dricha36 said:

I work as a consultant and we have a couple of clients who run Dexis, make sure that you're on the latest version and that the various cameras and sensors you use support windows 10 before moving anything to it. It's a good operating system but some software companies don't have good support for it. I think with Dexis you have to be on version 9. I'm not too sure about the sensors and stuff though. 

The issue you're going to run into is that in order to get a complete HIPPA compliant setup with all of your i's dotted and t's crossed you're going to exceed the budget you mentioned. 

Out of curiosity how is everything configured and running now?