PS4 OS reinstall

Flowey

Allright so I've just upgraded the family's PS4 with a better, higher capacity 2.5 notebook HDD. Now I think I just need to reinstall the same OS version I wrote down was the one previously running, 3.50, correct? Do I need to ndownload a specific file? I just went on Sony's website, sat throught all the bullshit listed as gaming oriented and the grandeur of their specs to get the ISO. I did backup everything onto another drive just to make sure nothing is lost between upgrades if your wondering.

If the PS4 is anything like the PS3, it'll just state that you need to format, and then do the work for you. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have seen people in toturials just plugging in a USB stick with a folder that had a certain name and the console did the rest. Don't quote me on this though. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

14 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If the PS4 is anything like the PS3, it'll just state that you need to format, and then do the work for you. 

12 minutes ago, GER_T4IGA said:

I have seen people in toturials just plugging in a USB stick with a folder that had a certain name and the console did the rest. Don't quote me on this though. 

Hum do I need to unarchive the thing? I have the PS4UPDATE.PUP for 3.50 but the PS4 says it can't recognise the file and there is an error?

1 minute ago, Flowey said:

Hum do I need to unarchive the thing? I have the PS4UPDATE.PUP for 3.50 but the PS4 says it can't recognise the file and there is an error?

When you turn on the PS4 with the new drive, what message do you get?(without trying to reinstall the OS)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

When you turn on the PS4 with the new drive, what message do you get?(without trying to reinstall the OS)

Cannot find the update file

CE-30774-1

I guess there was an issue with the format the file is in, right? Shouldn't it be the FAT format?

Cannot find the update file

CE-30774-1

I guess there was an issue with the format the file is in, right? Shouldn't it be the FAT format?

The file doesn't have an inherent format. The format is determined by the software after the drive is initialized. 

I just did a quick search for the firmware file that you need to download, and if you scroll down, Sony has instructions listed to show what is required in order to install it. For your convenience, a screenshot below(in spoiler) will be provided to show the instructions.

Spoiler

3333.JPG

And the source of course can be found here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Also a source on upgrading the PS4 hard drive: https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD/

26 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

no, on PS3 is not that simple - you have to provide a USB stick with a FW file on it

I own a PS3 and I did a HDD spwap

---

my guess for PS4:

USB stick has to be formatted FAT32, on the stick create a folder PS4, in that folder create a subfolder UPDATE and put the *.pup file inside the UPDATE subfolder

Think

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The file doesn't have an inherent format. The format is determined by the software after the drive is initialized. 

I just did a quick search for the firmware file that you need to download, and if you scroll down, Sony has instructions listed to show what is required in order to install it. For your convenience, a screenshot below(in spoiler) will be provided to show the instructions.

Reveal hidden contents

3333.JPG

And the source of course can be found here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/

Also a source on upgrading the PS4 hard drive: https://support.us.playstation.com/articles/en_US/KC_Article/Upgrade-PS4-HDD/

yep, that's what I just did, not working as well

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

no, on PS3 is not that simple - you have to provide a USB stick with a FW file on it

I own a PS3 and I did a HDD spwap

Hm? I've switched hard drives on a PS3 and never had to do that. It requested that I format the drive, and everything was usable from there. 

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Hm? I've switched hard drives on a PS3 and never had to do that. It requested that I format the drive, and everything was usable from there. 

Got  new error by following Sony's instructions, says it cannot read the file format. I'll just redownload it and report back here if I again have issues

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

it's possible that you haven't updated the FW and did the HDD swap with the original FW the PS3 was shipped with?!

Got  new error by following Sony's instructions, says it cannot read the file format. I'll just redownload it and report back here if I again have issues

Can you load this link? I can't, but it's apparently for when you're upgrading a hard drive: https://usauthor.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/#newinstallation

2 minutes ago, Flowey said:

the USB stick has to be FAT32

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

it's possible that you haven't updated the FW and did the HDD swap with the original FW the PS3 was shipped with?!

I definitely upgraded the firmware when required. But I can't test it now because I don't have a PS3 anymore, but I never did anything with the firmware. 

And this coincides with other people's experiences: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-upgrade-your-playstation-3-hard-drive/1100-6176090/

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

the USB stick has to be FAT32

oh it is

9 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I definitely upgraded the firmware when required. But I can't test it now because I don't have a PS3 anymore, but I never did anything with the firmware. 

And this coincides with other people's experiences: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-to-upgrade-your-playstation-3-hard-drive/1100-6176090/

jump to ~17min

Think I got the issue here guiys, the file I downloaded was for some reason 600mb, while it should be around 800-900mb. Downloading the right one now