Possible System Instability?

Vivilacqua1

Hello, so about a week back I noticed that when I would launch World of Tanks my monitor would loose signal while my computer would still be on and I could hear the Discord call I was on, but nothing would be on screen. this would only happen for WoT, but I decided to reinstall Windows anyways. after the reinstall and installing all my drivers I noticed that on the next startup it would work fine untill I typed my password to log in and it would then loose signal to the monitor like it was doing before in WoT. When doing so it would make some abnormal sounds like this 

I thought the HDD was dying, so I try my linux drive that had been sitting in my drawer. Same problem. When logging in, it would loose connection with the monitor. I then borrow a working drive from @connorpiper , which then does not show up in the bios and makes a weird ticking sound. I have tried resetting cmos, trying without my gpu (Zotac amp extreme 980ti, not a 610 like my sig), and rebuilding the whole system (minus re seating the cpu, but that didn't cause any problems before. 

Actually, in the process of typing this, while sitting in the bios I heared the borrowed drive suddenly spin up and I reset the computer to have it boot into the drive (vista I think) asking me if I want to "restore the system". 

Any idea what the actual fuck is going on?

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Maybe the power supply is going bad?? Is there any overclocks possibly? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Install Crystal Disk Info and post a picture of the HDD SMART Values. 

That doesn’t sound like a healthy HDD. 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Maybe the power supply is going bad?? Is there any overclocks possibly? 

No overclocks. And for a ~500 watt system, a Corsair RM 750 should be enough.

EDIT- the psu is only about 1.5 years old.

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Alright was just wondering on that if maybe its drawing too high but that is crossed off the list. How old is the system? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

9 minutes ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Hello, so about a week back I noticed that when I would launch World of Tanks my monitor would loose signal while my computer would still be on and I could hear the Discord call I was on, but nothing would be on screen. this would only happen for WoT, but I decided to reinstall Windows anyways. after the reinstall and installing all my drivers I noticed that on the next startup it would work fine untill I typed my password to log in and it would then loose signal to the monitor like it was doing before in WoT. When doing so it would make some abnormal sounds like this 

I thought the HDD was dying, so I try my linux drive that had been sitting in my drawer. Same problem. When logging in, it would loose connection with the monitor. I then borrow a working drive from @connorpiper , which then does not show up in the bios and makes a weird ticking sound. I have tried resetting cmos, trying without my gpu (Zotac amp extreme 980ti, not a 610 like my sig), and rebuilding the whole system (minus re seating the cpu, but that didn't cause any problems before. 

Actually, in the process of typing this, while sitting in the bios I heared the borrowed drive suddenly spin up and I reset the computer to have it boot into the drive (vista I think) asking me if I want to "restore the system". 

Any idea what the actual fuck is going on?

a bad drive could cause that, it happened to mine to on a old rig with a msi 470

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Alright was just wondering on that if maybe its drawing too high but that is crossed off the list. How old is the system? 

Hard to say, everything was bought at differet times. Most of them are about 2 years old with the gpu being about 4 months old and the 2nd newest part. (I added more ram, and yes, I tested with one stick, new stick, old ram, different dimms... all that jazz :))

Update:

I was able to install windows on the borrowed hdd, but after installing drivers and Opera, the display lost signal again and it won't boot into windows. 

EDIT- It managed to boot, but it did the thing again. I left it for awhile and then it loaded into the bios not seeing the hdd.

1 hour ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

Update:

I was able to install windows on the borrowed hdd, but after installing drivers and Opera, the display lost signal again and it won't boot into windows. 

EDIT- It managed to boot, but it did the thing again. I left it for awhile and then it loaded into the bios not seeing the hdd.

Can you boot into safe mode?

It's not a race to the bottom.

13 hours ago, 0x1e said:

Can you boot into safe mode?

No, it looses signal before I can

EDIT- I somehow go into safe mode, but the start menu and anything else except what is on the taskbar (file explorer) won't open. So all I can do is browse my few files.

9 hours ago, Vivilacqua1 said:

No, it looses signal before I can

EDIT- I somehow go into safe mode, but the start menu and anything else except what is on the taskbar (file explorer) won't open. So all I can do is browse my few files.

Try and boot into safe mode VGA mode.

This will boot into 640x480 resolution.

I'm thinking you've got a driver problem that's either using a refresh rate above your own, or a resolution that is again above your own.

It's not a race to the bottom.

3 minutes ago, 0x1e said:

Try and boot into safe mode VGA mode.

This will boot into 640x480 resolution.

I'm thinking you've got a driver problem that's either using a refresh rate above your own, or a resolution that is again above your own.

I switched out the ram, and it seems to be working now. I guess the two different kinds didn't like eachother. But it still might act up again.

Well, its not fixed. It worked fine for about 2 hours of GTA and acouple restarts when playing GTA it did the signal loss thing again. I eventually got back in and true gta again and found it doing the same thing again. So, I try again, this time with Euro Truck Sim 2, to have it do the same halfway through the first delivery ( not very long).

Bump.