Help out an idiot!

Lets talk. When it comes to Computer Hardware, I'd say I have the most minimal amount knowledgeable in terms of specifications (compatibility, benefits of what you're buying, overclocking, etc).

My question is, when is the optimal time to buy a CPU. I'm currently running with an i3 4130. And I have been looking at CPU's like the i5 4690k and the i5 4460. I frequently read in YouTube comments and on twitter, "No point buying an i5/i7 when .... is coming out in 2 months". So far after a little bit of research, in terms of gaming an i5 processor is enough, and the difference between the i5 and i7 is minimal. But could this change in the future as games will require be able to use more cores or something? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Another thing I've read is about CPU usage. I've recently just been watching a comparable video between these CPU's:
i3 4130 vs i5 4690K vs i7 4790K vs i7 5960X  - this is whilst running GTA V

As mentioned earlier, the FPS difference is minimal but after reading the comments people are speaking about CPU usage - saying that the i5 has 100% usage, whilst the i7 only had around 30%. Sorry for the rambling, but I'd just like a second opinion. Should I invest now? or wait a few months - I'm not in any rush.

What are you using your machine for? What motherboard do you own?

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Simple, if you have a z97 - i5 4690k, that will last you a good while 

If non z97 - i5 4460 would be more than enough. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

1 minute ago, Stijncat said:

What are you using your machine for? What motherboard do you own?

Currently using the machine for a dual-monitor setup of casually watching videos, forums, etc. But also on the side playing CSGO, wanting to venture into other games. 

I'm pretty sure I'll have to buy another motherboard - if I was going to upgrade.

mobo.png

3 minutes ago, Mohenjo said:

Simple, if you have a z97 - i5 4690k, that will last you a good while 

If non z97 - i5 4460 would be more than enough. 

Would the 4460 be compatible with my current Motherboard, you can see my Mobo in the picture displayed above.

3 minutes ago, PCHelp2015 said:

Would the 4460 be compatible with my current Motherboard, you can see my Mobo in the picture displayed above.

yes, the 4460 would be the best pairing, as you cannot overclock on that motherboard anyway. Sell your i3 and get an i5. 

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

First off all get a CPU with a "K" at the end, meaning It can be overclocked, then get a motherboard with a "Z" at start, meaning the motherboard has the feature to overclock the CPU.

Now in my opinion you should go for i5-4690k, as It has got that got 4 cores ready for action, pair that with a 970 while you're at It. 

(Just remember that the i5-4690k has a LGA 1150 socket so pair that with a motherboard with a 1150 socket, with a "Z" at the start) 

ABOUT ME: Hello, I'm a 15-year-old PC enthusiast. I love helping people with their problems and learning about the hardware of a PC.

DREAM JOBS: Computer Technician, I.T Consultant or a Computer Hardware Engineer.

NEXT BUILD: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/rDXLJV (NOT COMPLETED)

BE NICE TO ONE ANOTHER AND HAVE SOME FUN!