The hell just happened...

Titanicium

Hi LTT :)

For a moment ago (half and hour ago) I tried to go into the BIOS on my computer (look in the signature) and overclock it a bit.

I ended up changed quite a lot of things including increasing the multiplier for the CPU from 35 to 40 and changing the clock speeds of each core.

When I then saved these settings and wanted to boot the computer up properly it died :(

By that I mean that it was trying to work but shut itself off, then tried again and failed before he tried a third time and got rebooted properly.

When i then tried to go into Windows I thought everything was normal until I checked my CPU. It was not overclocked and now only 3 of the four cores were working... I tested this with realtemp.

I then tried to reboot into the BIOS and see if there was anything that would let me change it back to default. It were not but none of my previous adjustments were still there.

When I now rebooted into Windows and went into Realtemp I have all my 4 cores working and everything is just like before...

Could anyone help me?

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

Hi LTT :)

For a moment ago (half and hour ago) I tried to go into the BIOS on my computer (look in the signature) and overclock it a bit.

I ended up changed quite a lot of things including increasing the multiplier for the CPU from 35 to 40 and changing the clock speeds of each core.

When I then saved these settings and wanted to boot the computer up properly it died :(

By that I mean that it was trying to work but shut itself off, then tried again and failed before he tried a third time and got rebooted properly.

When i then tried to go into Windows I thought everything was normal until I checked my CPU. It was not overclocked and now only 3 of the four cores were working... I tested this with realtemp.

I then tried to reboot into the BIOS and see if there was anything that would let me change it back to default. It were not but none of my previous adjustments were still there.

When I now rebooted into Windows and went into Realtemp I have all my 4 cores working and everything is just like before...

Could anyone help me?

On most motherboards you will find "optimise defaults" or something along those lines which will reset it to the stock settings and reset all the clock speeds. Use this and try again. 

re-installing your bios is always an option.

It probably went back to when it was stable, allowing it to boot.

Well that much I figured out i just wonder why it didn´t do that the first time it booted into Windows since I got a message about what @Cosmos_i7 where talking about when it booted up again the first time...

re-installing your bios is always an option.

It is not that there is a problem now it is just that I wonder what happened as a first time overclocker :)

Tor
Corsair Obsidian 650D - Intel 4770K CPU - Gigabyte G1 Sniper 5 - ASUS GTX 780 Direct CU 2 - Kingston Beast Hyperx Beast 16 GB RAM -  Corsair AX 1200i PSU - Samsung EVO drive 750 GB - Corsair AF series 120mm fans - Corsair H100i - Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 edition - Razer Ouroboros - Razer Manticor - Windows 7 - Beyerdynamic MMX 300

@Titanicium, first boot is where it tries to use clocks you have set. If it fails, its reboot. Why it took 3 tries, I don't know. Did you go to BIOS or to windows after first reboot?

Clearing CMOS is fastest way to test if there was something you did to confuse mobo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

@Titanicium, first boot is where it tries to use clocks you have set. If it fails, its reboot. Why it took 3 tries, I don't know. Did you go to BIOS or to windows after first reboot?

Clearing CMOS is fastest way to test if there was something you did to confuse mobo.

Well this was what happened :)

I changed the settings in BIOS and pressed "Save and quit" --> The computer just shut down --> It rebooted automatically --> It shut down again --> It rebooted automatically - It shut down yet again --> It rebooted as it would boot under normal circumstances --> It typed in my password and booted into Windows --> Everything seemed normal until I ran Realtemp and saw that I had only had 3 cores running --> I restarted the computer and went into the BIOS --> I changed nothing since everything were at default settings --> I then pressed the "Save and quit" button --> I then booted into Windows and ran Realtemp, Unigine Valley and Unigine Heaven and everything was back to normal :)

So if you didn´t lose it somewhere inside there, what do you guys think happened and do you think something is still wrong?

Tor