Network help

Ivo

Hello guys, sorry for the probably dumb question but networking is not my strong side. I am moving to a new house in few months and the room I will be is at the top close to the attic. The people there have a router in the living room which is downstairs and the guys who is in the room I will be in has pulled a long cable all the way up to his room to connect his pc. Is it possible for me to connect google on hub to that long cable and create my own network for that room since wifi barelly gets up there? I am planing to buy on hub before I move in. Thank you!

Why google onhub. Try finding a AP with that can fill the house. Is the living room in the middle of the house? How many square feet?

Chase B
Sound Tech and GPU Expert

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

If the router is going to be down in the living room, it is a better idea to buy a dedicated access point for your room. Having multiple routers on the same network can cause issues, and a Google OnHub is a pretty pricey access point (if you configure it as an AP) that doesn't have many ethernet ports. 

Something like a Ubiquiti UniFi AP would be my recommendation. I have three of them in my house to get full WiFi coverage and haven't had a single issue since I installed them 6 months ago. If you're wanting to connect things through wire as well, then getting an inexpensive, unmanaged gigabit switch to connect to the cable coming into the room, then plugging the AP into that is a good idea. 

7 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If the router is going to be down in the living room, it is a better idea to buy a dedicated access point for your room. Having multiple routers on the same network can cause issues, and a Google OnHub is a pretty pricey access point (if you configure it as an AP) that doesn't have many ethernet ports. 

Something like a Ubiquiti UniFi AP would be my recommendation. I have three of them in my house to get full WiFi coverage and haven't had a single issue since I installed them 6 months ago. If you're wanting to connect things through wire as well, then getting an inexpensive, unmanaged gigabit switch to connect to the cable coming into the room, then plugging the AP into that is a good idea. 

Thank you!, any recommendation on the switch? 

1 minute ago, Ivo said:

How many ports. The 8 port switch from TP-Link is awesome.

Chase B

Are You New? Please Click on these links to help you out. Code Of Conduct | LTT Beginners Guide 

1 minute ago, ChaseB said:

How many ports. The 8 port switch from TP-Link is awesome.

I will only be connecting my PC, maybe a laptop here and there so not many ports, thanks I'll look it up!

1 minute ago, Ivo said:

I will only be connecting my PC, maybe a laptop here and there so not many ports, thanks I'll look it up!

You may only need 5 ports then. Make sure it is metal as those are the gigabit switches 

Chase B

6 minutes ago, Ivo said:

Look for something from Netgear, TP-Link or TRENDnet. Any unmanaged gigabit switch will do, really. 

EDIT: If you think you may need around 4 ports, then go for an 8 port switch to allow for expansion later. 

6 minutes ago, Ivo said:

If you're just connecting a couple devices then this will do just fine:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122128

If you need wireless then something like the Asus RT-AC66U will be perfect. To make sure you can still access the rest of the network you'll need to disable DHCP and NAT on the router.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: