Computer not booting up suddenly.

Squigg

Around 5 weeks ago my friend decided to build his first computer, everything went smoothly. His computer appeared to be very stable and even went through a graphics card stress and a cpu prime 95 test just to make sure. However in the past week the computer was acting up.

Upon waking the computer from sleep mode everything appeared normal, but once he logged in his whole screen was black and all he could see was his mouse pointer. So he hit ctrl-alt-delete and restarted the computer. This black screen continued to appear after around 5 restarts until eventually the computer started normally.

Just yesterday he went to power on his computer and then suddenly, nothing, no lights turning on no fans spinning no display showing the computer appeared to be completely dead. 

I feel like this could be related to a faulty power supply or motherboard but i would like too have anymore insight or opinions,

Cheers,

could be the PSU. something similar happens to me sometimes when power is interrupted unexpectedly.

I just turn the PSU off (unplug or use the switch on the back if it has one), hold the power button pressed for about 15 seconds (caps need to drain), flip the PSU switch then it starts up normally. Admittedly, I do have a pretty janky PSU so it might just be that, since people with pretty much similar configs (at least on the mobo side of things) never have this happen

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

58 minutes ago, Squigg said:

Around 5 weeks ago my friend decided to build his first computer, everything went smoothly. His computer appeared to be very stable and even went through a graphics card stress and a cpu prime 95 test just to make sure. However in the past week the computer was acting up.

Upon waking the computer from sleep mode everything appeared normal, but once he logged in his whole screen was black and all he could see was his mouse pointer. So he hit ctrl-alt-delete and restarted the computer. This black screen continued to appear after around 5 restarts until eventually the computer started normally.

Just yesterday he went to power on his computer and then suddenly, nothing, no lights turning on no fans spinning no display showing the computer appeared to be completely dead. 

I feel like this could be related to a faulty power supply or motherboard but i would like too have anymore insight or opinions,

Cheers,

PSU, try using another one and if that does not work try changing out the mobo. Might be mobo headers not plugged into power button, is there a light on ht emobob

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)