Port Forwarding Help

Tmt97

Ok, so I was trying to setup a minecraft server on my computer, and I went to setup port forwarding in my router. Everything looked fine, I was able to change the setting just fine. I saved the changes and went to test it with this tool: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ It claims the port is closed. No one can connect to it either. I'm really confused and not really experienced enough with this sort of thing to know what I'm doing wrong, so I could really use some help. The router is a D-Link DIR-890L if that helps at all. Thanks in advance!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I've never used the D-Link DIR-890L before, would it be possible for you to share some pictures of what you can see from your routers port forwarding page?

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

3 minutes ago, Redportal said:

I've never used the D-Link DIR-890L before, would it be possible for you to share some pictures of what you can see from your routers port forwarding page?

Sure

16h4znp.png

And if I click edit this is what I get:

bfp2zp.png

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Have you checked that the computer running the Minecraft server is in fact running on 192.168.0.149?

Also is the Minecraft server console displaying any kind of error? (Make sure it's running, can you connect to it over the local network)

*Extra Note: The port checker will most likely report the port as closed if nothing is running on it. (I.E If the Minecraft server is offline)

Not always the case, but I've had this a few times.

Can you post a pic of your server.properties file? Also are you making sure that you give your friends your public ip not internal

Just now, SCGazelle said:

Can you post a pic of your server.properties file? Also are you making sure that you give your friends your public ip not internal

Yes, I did initially make the mistake of giving them the internal one, but I figured that out, and I've been giving out the public one.

Heres a pic of the properties.

10zo6bo.png

2 minutes ago, Redportal said:

Have you checked that the computer running the Minecraft server is in fact running on 192.168.0.149?

Also is the Minecraft server console displaying any kind of error? (Make sure it's running, can you connect to it over the local network)

No error, it works fine on the local network, and yes I've rechecked the ip there several times now.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Well if that's the case it most definitely makes things a little more interesting.

You could try:

1. Disable the computers Firewall and or AntiVirus temporally.
  2. Try using a different port for example 27757 etc.

Though I'm not sure this will make a difference as the server already works on the local network.

Are the people trying to connect using the port number? (Ensuring they don't put a space at the start and end?)

As an example:     xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:25565

2 minutes ago, Redportal said:

Well if that's the case it most definitely makes things a little more interesting.

You could try:

1. Disable the computers Firewall and or AntiVirus temporally.
  2. Try using a different port for example 27757 etc.

Ok I turned off the firewall in the router settings, and disabled my antivirus. No change. I also just changed the port in both the router settings and the server.properties to 27757. Still not working...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

4 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Ok I turned off the firewall in the router settings, and disabled my antivirus. No change. I also just changed the port in both the router settings and the server.properties to 27757. Still not working...

Did you reboot the minecraft server after changing the port?

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

5 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

I guess you could try putting your connection address in the server ip filed inside the server.properties file. (Connection meaning your public IP) - I think. ^_^

6 minutes ago, Lurick said:

Did you reboot the minecraft server after changing the port?

Yes, yes I did.

5 minutes ago, Redportal said:

I guess you could try putting your connection address in the server ip filed inside the server.properties file. (Connection meaning your public IP) - I think. ^_^

Ok I just tried putting the public ip in the server.properties file right after "server-ip=" I wasn't able to connect at all after this.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Unfortunately I'm a human being, and from the last time I checked they need to sleep every now and then. :P

If nobody has managed to help you by tomorrow, feel free to PM me if your still having problems. Adios (Goodbye in Spanish) for now.

1 minute ago, Redportal said:

Unfortunately I'm a human being, and from the last time I checked they need to sleep every now and then. :P

If nobody has managed to help you by tomorrow, feel free to PM me if your still having problems. Adios (Goodbye in Spanish) for now.

K then...

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Anyone else have any idea why my router would say a port is forwarded but in reality its closed?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 hour ago, Tmt97 said:

Anyone else have any idea why my router would say a port is forwarded but in reality its closed?

Which firewall did you adjust, your AV firewall or your Windows firewall?

On May 19, 2016 at 9:29 PM, Windspeed36 said:

Which firewall did you adjust, your AV firewall or your Windows firewall?

No windows firewall, I'm trying to set this up on a brand new macbook pro.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

3 hours ago, Tmt97 said:

No windows firewall, I'm trying to set this up on a brand new macbook pro.

Oh, in that case I'm not even sure I can help.

I've never setup a Minecraft server on a macbook before, in fact it's been years since I even used an Apple product.

3 hours ago, Redportal said:

Oh, in that case I'm not even sure I can help.

I've never setup a Minecraft server on a macbook before, in fact it's been years since I even used an Apple product.

well its not the minecraft server setup side of things I really need help with. Its the port forwarding. Lets assume for a second that I wasn't even doing this to setup a minecraft server? what if I just needed to setup port forwarding? Because I set it up how I thought I was supposed to in my router, and it's not working. I know that without even loading minecraft, because when I use tools like this: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ it shows that the port is closed. I really just need help getting the port open, I can handle setting up server stuff on my own.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

13 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

well its not the minecraft server setup side of things I really need help with. Its the port forwarding. Lets assume for a second that I wasn't even doing this to setup a minecraft server? what if I just needed to setup port forwarding? Because I set it up how I thought I was supposed to in my router, and it's not working. I know that without even loading minecraft, because when I use tools like this: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ it shows that the port is closed. I really just need help getting the port open, I can handle setting up server stuff on my own.

In that case just make sure the following is correct.

• Local computer / server firewall is off, or the port has been opened in the firewall.
  • Create an open rule for either tcp / udp depending on which is required.
  • Forward this port to the computer or servers local IP address.
  • Access the service via your public IP.

It should be that simple.

Just checking but does your router support a DMZ host / zone?

This setting would open all ports on a particular device / group of devices to the internet. This would allow us to make sure it's not a router firewall problem.

1 hour ago, Tmt97 said:

Because I set it up how I thought I was supposed to in my router, and it's not working. I know that without even loading minecraft, because when I use tools like this: http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ it shows that the port is closed. 

This tool can not detect an open port if there is no service offered on the socket 

Funny question. Did you reboot the router? I only ask because my friend had issues with port forwarding on a Comcast supplied Router/Modem and a reboot fixed the issue. I know for a fact my D Link router requires reboots when you change any setting. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.