Don't want to wait too long for new GPUs.

Yoo Song Won

Should I get the Radeon R9 380X before waiting for the new Mid-range gpus from AMD or Nvidia? I'm planning to get Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Overwatch as soon as they come out but my current GPU is broken.

3 minutes ago, Yoo Song Won said:

Should I get the Radeon R9 380X before waiting for the new Mid-range gpus from AMD or Nvidia?

For R9 380X money, you can get a GTX 970 and blow the 380X out of the water.

If you don't want to wait, you will get screwed.

3 minutes ago, Malaki Titi said:

Seriously, go back to wccf comments where your kind belongs. 

@Yoo Song Wonno,  don't buy a 380x. You will regret it in a month. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, Malaki Titi said:

Radeon R9 380X on Newegg is $221 while the Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 is $300.

EVGA and Step-Up?

CPU: AMD 5950X    MB: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero    RAM: HyperX Predator 64GB    GPU: Nvidia RTX 3090 Ti FE    SSD: Seagate FireCuda 530 2TB    
PSU: EVGA 1200w P2    COOLING: EK AIO Elite 360    CASE: Fractal Design Torrent 
   DISPLAY: LG CX48 4k OLED    AUDIO: HIFIMAN Arya SE

5 minutes ago, Yoo Song Won said:

Radeon R9 380X on Newegg is $221 while the Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 is $300.

box_08.jpg

Fry's Electronics had them on sale last week.

You gotta shop around dude.

Fry's has a 30 day full refund with ZERO restocking fee.

Hopefully you live near one.

10 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

Seriously, go back to wccf comments where your kind belongs. 

Angry that someone is considering something other than an AMD product?

Just now, Malaki Titi said:

box_08.jpg

Fry's Electronics had them on sale last week.

You gotta shop around dude.

Fry's has a 30 day full refund with ZERO restocking fee.

Hopefully you live near one.

Ok fair enough... But I live in Britain and the cheapest things I can buy is through the internet.

1 minute ago, Yoo Song Won said:

Ok fair enough... But I live in Britain and the cheapest things I can buy is through the internet.

Get a second hand 970. There will be plenty of people selling their 970s now that hte 1080 benchs are out.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Get a second hand 970. There will be plenty of people selling their 970s now that hte 1080 benchs are out.

Is second hand worth it though?

a good price for a 4gig 380 is $180 + a rebate. keep your eyes open. with the impending release all cards seem to be high now.

if you can score a 970 for $250 like I did it's the much better buy.

give yourself until the end of June. by then we'll all have a decent look at the new cards along with the performance and price data.

1 minute ago, Yoo Song Won said:

No, it is not. Not with the up coming cards on a node shrink. Expect 390/970 performance for about 200 usd. Just be patient. 

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

2 minutes ago, Yoo Song Won said:

Depends how cheap.  I personally wouldn't pay more than $150 for a 970 and not a dime more than $230 for a 980.

2 minutes ago, Yoo Song Won said:

Yes it is. You get more performance for cheaper.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

No, it is not. Not with the up coming cards on a node shrink. Expect 390/970 performance for about 200 usd. Just be patient. 

He's not willing to wait for the "miracle" that will be Polaris.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Yes it is. You get more performance for cheaper.

Why? What is the rush? It's less than a month. People are not going to stop playing overwatch after the 1st week. I swear people act like crack addicts. 

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

If what AMD says (Polaris is shooting for R9 380 performance) is true, then he's waiting for nothing.

The best outcome is to still wait.  He might be able to score a 970 for $200 or a 980 for $300.

1 minute ago, Malaki Titi said:

If what AMD says (Polaris is shooting for R9 380 performance) is true, then he's waiting for nothing.

The best outcome is to still wait.  He might be able to score a 970 for $200 or a 980 for $300.

Its a good thing AMD didn't say that. 

35 minutes ago, Yoo Song Won said:

Should I get the Radeon R9 380X before waiting for the new Mid-range gpus from AMD or Nvidia? I'm planning to get Mirror's Edge Catalyst and Overwatch as soon as they come out but my current GPU is broken.

You can already get GTX 970s for cheap if you get on newegg's mailing list, they sent me a coupon code to get a Zotac one for $255. It would be an enormous upgrade for $25 more than a R9 380x costs. But even better to hold out for the R9 480x that should be coming out in June. AMD has already said they're targeting affordable VR spec, so the absolute worst case performance would be GTX 970 level. The price will probably be something like $250-$300. Buying a 380x right now doesn't make sense.

EDIT: This is the card, it's $284.99 and newegg sent me a coupon code for 10% off. Unfortunately these codes don't seem for work for others, when I have posted them in the past people said they couldn't use them. So I won't post the code.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362

14 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I'd be floored by any price under $250 for Polaris 10. I'd love to see it though, VR spec for $200 would be awesome.

Oops, I see you're in GB. No idea what 970s go for there. I wouldn't touch an old generation gpu unless it's on some kind of really big discount.

5 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'd be floored by any price under $250 for Polaris 10. I'd love to see it though, VR spec for $200 would be awesome.

I definitely expect a $200 Polaris card with 390/970 performance. Even at $250, it would still be a much better deal than buying a 380x for $230 or used 390/970.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

I definitely expect a $200 Polaris card with 390/970 performance. Even at $250, it would still be a much better deal than buying a 380x for $230 or used 390/970.

All AMD has said is below $300 though. So I'm guessing somewhere from $270 to $299 for the full fat VR ready Polaris 10.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

All AMD has said is below $300 though. So I'm guessing somewhere from $270 to $299 for the full fat VR ready Polaris 10.

There will be multiple cards though and not just one. So I'm expecting cards to fill the $150 to $350 range.

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I havent seen anything as specific as $300. Did i miss something?

8 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I havent seen anything as specific as $300. Did i miss something?

I recall seeing them talking about below $300 at one of the shows. Maybe GTC?