Usb c to usb 3 data transfer

LordLeewee

Can you plug a laptop with usb c directly into a PC usb 3 port for data transfer?

FYI: USB 3 is the revision of the USB technology being used, and USB C is the type of connector. They are not interchangeable terms.

If you are asking whether or not you can connect two computers via USB only and transfer data, yes, you can. But you will need a data transfer cable, or "USB crossover cable" for it to work. You can't use just any regular USB cable.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

3 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

FYI: USB 3 is the revision of the USB technology being used, and USB C is the type of connector. They are not interchangeable terms.

If you are asking whether or not you can connect two computers via USB only and transfer data, yes, you can. But you will need a data transfer cable, or "USB crossover cable" for it to work. You can't use just any regular USB cable.

The laptop has a type c plug, desktop has a standard usb 3.0

1 minute ago, LordLeewee said:

The laptop has a type c plug, desktop has a standard usb 3.0

If the PC has just a standard USB 3.0 port that means it has a USB 3.0/Type A port. If the laptop has a Type C port then that port would also be USB 3.0/Type C. Luckily all revisions of USB are backwards compatible, so the main thing you need to worry about would be getting a USB crossover cable with the correct connectors (or buying the correct adapters to use with the cable). You will need a cable that has a Type A male connector at one end, and a Type C connector at the other end.

You can learn a little about the different revisions and connector types here and here.

END OF LINE

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

6 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

If the PC has just a standard USB 3.0 port that means it has a USB 3.0/Type A port. If the laptop has a Type C port then that port would also be USB 3.0/Type C. Luckily all revisions of USB are backwards compatible, so the main thing you need to worry about would be getting a USB crossover cable with the correct connectors (or buying the correct adapters to use with the cable). You will need a cable that has a Type A male connector at one end, and a Type C connector at the other end.

You can learn a little about the different revisions and connector types here and here.

its thunderbolt 3 if that makes a difference to what cable i need? i thought type c was 3.1 rather than 3.

3 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

its thunderbolt 3 if that makes a difference to what cable i need? i thought type c was 3.1 rather than 3.

Yes, Thunderbolt 3 is fully compatible with USB 2.0 and newer.

Again, The connector type is not the same this and the revision version of the USB cable/device. Yes, USB 3.1 uses the new Type C connector because, when they were developing the new standard that would become USB 3.1, they saw no reason to use the other connects when all devices can benefit from the improved design of the Type C connector. As long as you make sure that the cable you use is a data transfer cable (USB crossover cable) and you make sure that it has the correct connectors, whether the plugs are correct of it you need to use adapters, you should be able to transfer data between devices.

END OF LINE

5 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

Yes, that should work. Just make sure you do your research and know what you are doing.

END OF LINE

• 2 weeks later...
On 16 May 2016 at 5:00 PM, DevilishBooster said:

Yes, that should work. Just make sure you do your research and know what you are doing.

Ok this does not work unfortunately! 

Anyine have any ideas? Fastest way to transfer large amounts of data between the 2 computers?

57 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

Ok this does not work unfortunately! 

Anyine have any ideas? Fastest way to transfer large amounts of data between the 2 computers?

Follow this guide. If you got the correct type of cable then it should work.

END OF LINE

2 hours ago, DevilishBooster said:

Follow this guide. If you got the correct type of cable then it should work.

Which guide?

2 minutes ago, LordLeewee said:

Which guide?

Ooops. Apparently in my stupor of just waking up moments before replying I forgot to create the hyper link. My bad. 

http://www.ehow.com/how_4473278_use-usb-data-transfer-cable.html

You can also achieve the same thing of transferring files directly between computers with an ethernet cross-over cable if both computers have an ethernet port and you follow a guide.

END OF LINE

28 minutes ago, DevilishBooster said:

Ooops. Apparently in my stupor of just waking up moments before replying I forgot to create the hyper link. My bad. 

You can also achieve the same thing of transferring files directly between computers with an ethernet cross-over cable if both computers have an ethernet port and you follow a guide.

Brilliant cheers. The systems recognise the cable is plugged in but don't do anything after that so that will be what I need to do

On 26/05/2016 at 3:36 PM, DevilishBooster said:

just an update, this doens work with windows 10 and i cant seem to find an up to date alternative

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2016 at 3:10 AM, LordLeewee said:

just an update, this doens work with windows 10 and i cant seem to find an up to date alternative

Sorry, my motherboard died the day you sent this and by the time my new one arrived and I got it fixed I forgot to reply.

Are you sure that you have the proper type of USB cable? You cannot just use a regular USB cable. A crossover cable has a microprocessor built into the cable to facilitate the data transfer directly between PCs. 

You would probably be better served using Ethernet to transfer the files between PCs, and there are tons of guides out there on how to do that.

END OF LINE

The safest and simplest way to transfer files would be to use network cards.

If both computers have gigabit network cards, a regular network cable will work. It doesn't have to be crossover because gigabit network cards are smart enough to figure out the arrangement of the wires in the cable and auto correct everything. Only older 100mbps max network cards need crossover cables.  Just link the network cards with cable and give each computer a unique IP (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for example, and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 for both for example, and you're done)

If you don't have network cards but you have usb 3.0 ports, your best bet would be to buy a couple of USB 3.0 gigabit network cards and then connect the two usb 3 network adapters with a regular network cable. You'll get up to 1gbps (120 MB/s) speed between the computers which may seem much smaller than the maximum a usb 3 connector can provide (5 gbps) but in practice, I've found this method to be more reliable and faster compared to solutions like "usb file transfer cables" and crap like that..

You should pay attention though that not all usb 3 network cards actually use chips inside capable of more than usb 2.0 speeds, so those will only be able to go up to around 250-400 mbps even though they're plugged into usb 3 ports.

There's one network adapter chip that's has built in usb 3 support called AX88179 so if you buy network cards that say they use this chip, it's safe to say you should get up to 1gbps of transfer between computers. Just search Amazon or Newegg or eBay for AX88179  and you'll find plenty of such network adapters from $10 and up.

If you have usb 3 type c, you can just get a usb 3 type c to usb 3 type a (the standard female connector you have on motherboards) adapter cable to plug the network card into.