New parts

Sena17

Well, by the end of this year, I'll be upgrading my motherboard, CPU, RAM, Case, and cooler. I have 2 sets of options here. Option 1:http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Memer-Senpai/saved/zyqD4D

And Option 2: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Memer-Senpai/saved/NGnZxr

They are two different architectures with different advantages. I don't know which to choose! Someone help me make a decision by Pros and cons etc. Thanks!

Just now, Sena17 said:

Well, by the end of this year, I'll be upgrading...

Then come back here once you are ready to buy. By then, it's likely that Zen (and possibly even Kaby Lake) will be available. Can't really plan THAT much in advance. 

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Then come back here once you are ready to buy. By then, it's likely that Zen (and possibly even Kaby Lake) will be available. Can't really plan THAT much in advance. 

I'm not planning on doing the latest and greatest when it comes out. I'm planning on the latest and greatest of the last two generations and leave it that way for a few years. 

1 minute ago, Sena17 said:

I'm not planning on doing the latest and greatest when it comes out. I'm planning on the latest and greatest of the last two generations and leave it that way for a few years. 

Right. So if Kaby / Zen offers a better price to performance ratio, you are still willing to get older hardware? Sounds dumb by me, but suit yourself...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Right. So if Kaby / Zen offers a better price to performance ratio, you are still willing to get older hardware? Sounds dumb by me, but suit yourself...

If it has a better price to performance ratio, then, logically, the previous generations will drop in price no? 

Just now, Sena17 said:

If it has a better price to performance ratio, then, logically, the previous generations will drop in price no? 

Nope. Not at all. Stuff like this doesn't drop in price (unless you go hunt the used market).

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Nope. Not at all. Stuff like this doesn't drop in price (unless you go hunt the used market).

Okay. Either way. I'm not future proofing. I just need to know what's a better idea. Using what I gave you to work with, can you tell me what the pros and cons would be? Keep in mind my actual system so far would add parts on like ram etc.

7 minutes ago, Sena17 said:

Okay. Either way. I'm not future proofing. I just need to know what's a better idea. Using what I gave you to work with, can you tell me what the pros and cons would be? Keep in mind my actual system so far would add parts on like ram etc.

I'm... not sure. Gimme 5 or 6 months for me to do my research, before I can give you an adequate answer.

so basically, 6700k + ddr4 vs i7 4790k + ddr3

i would pick the 6700K, reasons:

1) ddr4

2) higher efficiency

3) higher single core performance, and also multithreaded

but yea, always decide on a pc part about 1 month or 1 week before you buy it if possible

you can save up for the approximate amount you'll need and decide on parts near the day of purchase

as newer technology might be available and the best value might not be on these parts anymore

but it's your money so we're not obligated to tell you how to spend it tbh lol

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

so basically, 6700k + ddr4 vs i7 4790k + ddr3

i would pick the 6700K, reasons:

1) ddr4

2) higher efficiency

3) higher single core performance, and also multithreaded

but yea, always decide on a pc part about 1 month or 1 week before you buy it if possible

you can save up for the approximate amount you'll need and decide on parts near the day of purchase

as newer technology might be available and the best value might not be on these parts anymore

but it's your money so we're not obligated to tell you how to spend it tbh lol

thanks for not being a sarcastic jerk. Means a lot.

5 minutes ago, Sena17 said:

thanks for not being a sarcastic jerk. Means a lot.

sarcastic as he is, he makes a good point for what you should do

which is probably what almost everyone who knows tech will tell you to do

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately