I have a sapphire R9 290 vapor-x, and since there is no water blocks for it (it has a different pcb than the 290x vapor x sadly), I was thinking of a universal block, since the vrm has its own cooling solution anyways (it has a heatsink that doesnt make contact with the main heatsink, meaning its aircooled anyways). Would this be possible or would I be wasting my time and money. Also would the ram need cooling or does that not get that hot?

might look into the alphacool GPX system as per the compatibility list):

Alphacool NexXxoS GPX - ATI R9 290X and 290 M04 fits the:

Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, full retail (11227-04-40G)

Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon R9 290 Tri-X 4GB GDDR5 (11227-05)

Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC 4GB GDDR5 (11227-04)

article_img.jpg

could be a better looking alternative than to using a uni-application. this cools the VRM, memory lower/upper, and can be used on many cards, depending on the heatsink availability.

3 minutes ago, airdeano said:

might look into the alphacool GPX system as per the compatibility list):

Alphacool NexXxoS GPX - ATI R9 290X and 290 M04 fits the:

Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort, full retail (11227-04-40G)

Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon R9 290 Tri-X 4GB GDDR5 (11227-05)

Sapphire Vapor-X Radeon R9 290 Tri-X OC 4GB GDDR5 (11227-04)

article_img.jpg

could be a better looking alternative than to using a uni-application. this cools the VRM, memory lower/upper, and can be used on many cards, depending on the heatsink availability.

Yea thats pretty sweet, can't lie. But I was looking into the ek vga supremacy (also cheaper). The vrm has a heatsink on it already, as you can see in the pic.

Sapphire-Vapor-X-Radeon-R9-290X-Tri-X-4G  

So what I was wondering is if that would suffice or If Im better off leaving it air cooled. My case has more airflow than it probably needs. My main concern is will the heatsink be okay without a fan directly blowing on it and will the ram need any sort of cooling or does that not get that hot?

if you are looking for sub 60° load temps, then water cooling the card is your value.

the VRM and memory do need the airflow or water-dispersal, otherwise, no need to continue.

2 minutes ago, airdeano said:

if you are looking for sub 60° load temps, then water cooling the card is your value.

the VRM and memory do need the airflow or water-dispersal, otherwise, no need to continue.

I just ran two test on my gpu, furmark and gta 5 benchmark, and the hottest vrm was 85 and 72 respectively. This was with the fan above the vram disabled so it would only be cooled by the case fans. Would 72 (for real world gaming) be considered a safe temp? Also there is an intake 120mm fan directly below the vrms. 

As for the ram I could get aftermarket coolers.

I was just curious because my hd 7870 has nothing making contact with ram and a flimsy little heatsink on the vrm, and that works at pretty normal temps.