Good Anti-Virus?

Please ensure that you are posting in the proper sub-forum at all times.

Thread moved to Programs, Apps, and Websites. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Please ensure that you are posting in the proper sub-forum at all times.

Thread moved to Programs, Apps, and Websites. 

Oh, sorry about that I forgot about that category.

Malwarebytes is all I ever use. I run it when I need to. Though it never finds any viruses as I am careful with what I download.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

17 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

Malwarebytes is all I ever use. I run it when I need to. Though it never finds any viruses as I am careful with what I download.

This mentality needs to seriously go away. You may not actively download anything with malware, but you are downloading content whenever you access a website. And if that website becomes compromised, you are not going to have a good time as you have nothing active running to prevent the infection. Windows 10 is an exception if you leave Windows Defender enabled(essentially, Microsoft Security Essentials has been integrated into Windows 10). 

Your brain will not prevent an infection from happening. It will only help you avoid infection, to a degree, assuming no legit websites become compromised. And if you're wondering if any of the legit sites you visit will become compromised - LTT was compromised relatively recently due to a malware infection that was installed onto the server without anyone's knowledge, and it remained dormant for months. Once it executed, user passwords were compromised. 

Edited by Godlygamer23
Typo correction.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

This mentality needs to seriously go away. You may not actively download anything with malware, but you are downloading content whenever you access a website. And if that website becomes compromised, you are not going to have a good time as you have nothing active running to prevent the infection. Windows 10 is an exception if you leave Windows Defender enabled(essentially, Microsoft Security Essentials has been integrate into Windows 10). 

Your brain will not prevent an infection from happening. It will only help you avoid infection, to a degree, assuming no legit websites become compromised. And if you're wondering if any of the legit sites you visit will become compromised - LTT was compromised relatively recently due to a malware infection that was installed onto the server without anyone's knowledge, and it remained dormant for months. Once it executed, user passwords were compromised. 

Maybe I should of put it another way, I am careful when using the net. 

And yes, I leave windows defender on by default. As I thought most people would do so.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

7 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

This mentality needs to seriously go away. You may not actively download anything with malware, but you are downloading content whenever you access a website. And if that website becomes compromised, you are not going to have a good time as you have nothing active running to prevent the infection. Windows 10 is an exception if you leave Windows Defender enabled(essentially, Microsoft Security Essentials has been integrate into Windows 10). 

i remember that, so what do you suggest ??

1 minute ago, agentagent47 said:

i remember that, so what do you suggest ??

Avast seems to be a decent solution for a lot of people, and it seems like AVG is pretty good as well(though I have not used it so I can't personally vouch for it). I currently use a combination of 360 Total Security(with an Avira AV engine running within the program) with regular scans and Comodo Firewall running. All solutions that I've mentioned are free, though 360 Total Security is the only one that's completely free(financially though. It can bug you about certain ads with their other products. Most notably the Modern UI version of the program, which to me sacrifices functionally for looks). 

Of course, on top of running an active security solution, all programs should be kept up-to-date, particularly browsers, Flash, and Java if they're used. 

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Avast seems to be a decent solution for a lot of people, and it seems like AVG is pretty good as well(though I have not used it so I can't personally vouch for it). I currently use a combination of 360 Total Security(with an Avira AV engine running within the program) with regular scans and Comodo Firewall running. All solutions that I've mentioned are free, though 360 Total Security is the only one that's completely free(financially though. It can bug you about certain ads with their other products. Most notably the Modern UI version of the program, which to me sacrifices functionally for looks). 

Of course, on top of running an active security solution, all programs should be kept up-to-date, particularly browsers, Flash, and Java if they're used. 

Do you know if glasswire is any good?

Just now, duckwithanokhat said:

Do you know if glasswire is any good?

I am only familiar with their firewall solution, and I quite like it on my laptop.

I use avira free antivirus and never had any issues

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC