SSD Upgrade - Laptop

Hiaouge

1st Post whoop!! :)

I want to upgrade my laptop from a hard disk to a SSD but was wondering what is the fastest currently available SSD. I currently have a 500gb hard drive, I am not looking for massive storage in the SSD as most of my storage is networked.

Cheers 

CPU Intel i7 5820K | Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe | RAM 16GB Avexir Platinum | Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 | Case NZXT H440 White | PSU Corsair HX750i

Storage 250GB Samsung SSD (RAID 1), 1TB WD Black HDD

Most high end SSD right now preform the same, but for reliability, go for a Samsung 840

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

What's your price and what's the minimum storage you want.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Get a Samsung 840 EVO. Very, very fast and good value for money.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

get what every brand you trust and get the most capacity that is available for your budget.

i just got a kingston 120GB SSD (cant remember the model) but it was less than $100

and im super happy with it.

Thanks, looking at the response a Samsung 840 seems the ideal option a 256gb would be good i think. I don't know anything much about SSD's is there any advantage from the Pro, normal and Evo version apart from the higher cost (is it worth it)??

CPU Intel i7 5820K | Motherboard Asus X99 Deluxe | RAM 16GB Avexir Platinum | Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 | Case NZXT H440 White | PSU Corsair HX750i

Storage 250GB Samsung SSD (RAID 1), 1TB WD Black HDD

Thanks, looking at the response a Samsung 840 seems the ideal option a 256gb would be good i think. I don't know anything much about SSD's is there any advantage from the Pro, normal and Evo version apart from the higher cost (is it worth it)??

They all perform noticeably the same along with most modern ssds. Basically, get the cheapest one you can find that's decent and it's will feel the same as a more expensive ssd

Fyi, you need to quote a post or tag a member or else they won't get a notification you replied to them..

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Samsung did a great job, I would really recommend their 840 SSD's

For all the falsely accused: message me and we can decide how to right all the wrongs that happened to you!

I'm looking at the major corporations, the lying online communities, the government that protects us...

We are HUMANS, not robotic slaves! 

The corsair ones are good too;

For all the falsely accused: message me and we can decide how to right all the wrongs that happened to you!

I'm looking at the major corporations, the lying online communities, the government that protects us...

We are HUMANS, not robotic slaves! 

The 840 Pro has slightly better write performance and better overall endurance than the 840/840 Evo, but it's not really a concern unless you see yourself doing massive writes every day.

Desktop: Core i5-2500K, ASUS GTX 560, MSI Z68A GD65, CM HAF 912 Advanced, OCZ Vertex 4, WD 1TB Black, Seasonic P660, Samsung S27A850D, Audioengine A2, Noctua NH-D14, NB eLoops

Laptop: Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon

Peripherals: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013, Razer Deathadder 3.5G, Razer Deathadder 2013, Razer Goliathus Control, Razer Manticor

I agree, Samsung 840. I have the EVO 120GB. Runs great!

CPU: AMD FX 6100 Stock - MB: Asus M5A97 EVO - RAM: AMD Memory Entertainment Edition 2x4 GB 1600 MHz - PSU: Topower 650W NANO - SSD: Samsung 840 120GB - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 7200 RPM - GPU: Sapphire HD 7770 Vapor - X OC - CASE: Aerocool Strike - X Advance (Red/Black) - OS: Windows 7 Ultimate x64