Two connections in the same house

Camcognito

Ok, so my parents have a wireless wifi network set up, I dont know anything about networking but we have an time capsule and a wireless router/modem (not sure) So would I be able to get an additional router or modem in my room to get a wired connection to my PC without having to pay more?

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

|HDD: Western Digital 1TB | Case: NZXT Source 210 | PSU: Corsair CX430W | 

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

extra router or modem for free? most certainly not.

you can buy a 25 meter Cat 5e cable (internet cable) and plug 1 end into your router and the other end into your pc :)

for 8.32$

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cat+5e+25m+monoprice&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Acat+5e+25m+monoprice

1 minute ago, mikat said:

extra router or modem for free? most certainly not.

you can buy a 25 meter Cat 5e cable (internet cable) and plug 1 end into your router and the other end into your pc :)

I was asking because my grandpa has an extra few modems or routers, so I if I could I would've used it. My main router isn't in the same room as my PC, so I can't plug a cable into it.

| CPU: Intel Core i3 4130 | GPU: PowerColor R9 270 | Motherboard: Asrock H81M-HDS | RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 4GB |

| Mic: Blue Snowball iCE | Mouse: Corsair K65 RGB | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma |

Just now, Camcognito said:

I was asking because my grandpa has an extra few modems or routers, so I if I could I would've used it. My main router isn't in the same room as my PC, so I can't plug a cable into it.

you can't receive a wireless signal and turn it into a wired signal with a router.

2 minutes ago, mikat said:

you can't receive a wireless signal and turn it into a wired signal with a router.

Ok, so if I wanted a wired connection in my room I'd have to set up a whole different network with a new router and stuff seperate from my parent's wireless one? sorry I don't know anything abou networking

Some routers can be used as access points, but as far as I know still require being connected to the main router through Ethernet.

Just now, Camcognito said:

Ok, so if I wanted a wired connection in my room I'd have to set up a whole different network with a new router and stuff seperate from my parent's wireless one?

no, the only way is to get a cable and run it from your router to your computer.

(or just get a wireless adapter for your pc)

1 minute ago, mikat said:

no, the only way is to get a cable and run it from your router to your computer.

(or just get a wireless adapter for your pc)

Ok, I was asking because I have a wireless adapter but the router is kind of far from my room so sometimes I don't get good connection. Thanks for the help!

Why not getting a Powerline adapter or a dedicated access point?

It's going to be a bit costlier than 0, but you can get decent speeds for Internet connectivity. I would not advise using them for fast file transfers, though.

2 minutes ago, Lehti said:

Why not getting a Powerline adapter or a dedicated access point?

It's going to be a bit costlier than 0, but you can get decent speeds for Internet connectivity. I would not advise using them for fast file transfers, though.

How do those work? I was trying to see if it was possible to boost my speeds by using an extra router or modem (since I have an extra one) but since it doesn't seem possible I may buy something to strengthen my connection.

A better router is not going to improve your Internet connectivity, unless for some reason you're using one that bottlenecks it. For example, you have a 50 Mbps connection but you're using a 24 Mbps router.

The only way to improve Internet speed is getting a better plan, if it's available in your area. If it's not, cross your fingers and pray your phone company will eventually upgrade its infrastructure.

A powerline adapter is used to move data across your electrical outlets. You plug one near the router and one near the computer you want to connect to it, pair them and off you go, provided that they both run on the same grid. It goes without saying that they're not as good as a direct Ethernet link.

An access point simply picks up the wifi signal, amplifies it and acts as an antenna. I suggest you put it somewhere in the middle between your router and your room to ensure better results.

7 minutes ago, Lehti said:

A better router is not going to improve your Internet connectivity, unless for some reason you're using one that bottlenecks it. For example, you have a 50 Mbps connection but you're using a 24 Mbps router.

The only way to improve Internet speed is getting a better plan, if it's available in your area. If it's not, cross your fingers and pray your phone company will eventually upgrade its infrastructure.

A powerline adapter is used to move data across your electrical outlets. You plug one near the router and one near the computer you want to connect to it, pair them and off you go, provided that they both run on the same grid. It goes without saying that they're not as good as a direct Ethernet link.

An access point simply picks up the wifi signal, amplifies it and acts as an antenna. I suggest you put it somewhere in the middle between your router and your room to ensure better results.

So are the acess points and powerline adapters two different things, and would the powerline adapter replace my wireless adapter?

My internet speed is fine, but my PC doesn't get it as good as my parents. I guess because either there's is closer to the router or they have a better adapter? (They have an iMac) They get around 60mbps, and I get 5-20mbps. I'm sorry if my confusion is frustracting, I don't really know anything about this

1 minute ago, Lehti said:

Yes, completely different. Powerlines require an Ethernet connection (but you get two short cables in the box) whereas APs don't.

This is a powerline: xpowerline3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.P-LR6HTQP3.

And this is an access point/range extender: https://www.sitecom.com/img/ProductList/2056/wlx-2006-n300-wi-fi-range-extender.jpg

Ok, so do they work together or do you pick one of them?

You pick between the two. There's some powerline models where one of the receivers acts as a range extender, but unless you have a very big home I don't think you're gonna need one of those. 

4 minutes ago, Lehti said:

You pick between the two. There's some powerline models where one of the receivers acts as a range extender, but unless you have a very big home I don't think you're gonna need one of those. 

Ok which one would you recommend? I'm moving to a new home in 3 weeks and the router will probably be a few rooms away from mine.

1 hour ago, mikat said:

I'm almost positive that you can do this with an access point set to client mode. It will pick up the wireless signal, and then you can connect an ethernet cable to another computer or a switch that can push that signal to multiple computers.

5 minutes ago, minutellim said:

I'm almost positive that you can do this with an access point set to client mode. It will pick up the wireless signal, and then you can connect an ethernet cable to another computer or a switch that can push that signal to multiple computers.

can you link me and OP a tutorial?

39 minutes ago, mikat said:

can you link me and OP a tutorial?

There are several on Google when typing in "Wireless Bridge". 

Here is one that involves flashing your router to DD-WRT, but I think you can do this with several commercial APs. 

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/reuse-an-old-router-to-bridge-devices-to-your-wireless-network/

-EDIT-

Here's just one example of a commercial product that can do this straight out of the box. 

http://www.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-Gigabit-Extender-DAP-1522/dp/B001769K3O

It's a coincidence, but this is on the front page right now.