Am I living in co-co land...

EmmaMay

Please bare with me as I write this...

I have a vision to be a game developer, but I don't have the skills to be one (that's a long-term goal), in the short/long-term I want to offer people jobs in game development, granted I don't have a deep pocket to do this but I've been informed I can get access to funding provide I provide evidence that I can prove there is a possible chance of success, now, I know there is no way to prove that which leads me to think, in the time I've been researching independent games on sites such as Steam and Humble, is the market of indie games flooded to possible breaking point, in that it will be harder and harder to get noticed as more and more indie games appear in online stores.

have you seen angry birds or candy crush?

I've seen those things been copied in less than 24h on various hackaton events.

it's about the idea not the skills, pure marketing.

If you need funds then get a webcam and go full sellout on twitch.tv

also:

i-dont-need-math-ill-just-make-video-gam

5.JPG

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

have you seen angry birds or candy crush?

I've seen those things been copied in less than 24h on various hackaton events.

it's about the idea not the skills, pure marketing.

If you need funds then get a webcam and go full sellout on twitch.tv

also:

Reveal hidden contents

i-dont-need-math-ill-just-make-video-gam

5.JPG

I'm sorry, are you being sarcastic with the "reveal hidden contents", and what do you mean by " full sellout on twitch.tv ", I asked what I believed to be an honest question and your response seems to be to attack me?

5 minutes ago, EmmaMay said:

I'm sorry, are you being sarcastic with the "reveal hidden contents", and what do you mean by " full sellout on twitch.tv ", I asked what I believed to be an honest question and your response seems to be to attack me?

The reason why it seems that he's attacking you is because you are just writing out every little kid's dream. They want to make games but don't know how. My honest opinion, go ahead and go for it, but at least learn basics of game design before you begin this "journey". You can't just have ideas, you also need to have the skills to make those ideas come to life. If you look on Kickstarter, for example, there are a CRAP TON of projects that go unfunded because it is simply just an idea and they have no real product yet. Go take time to learn game design and if you enjoy it, then keep pursuing it.

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

2 minutes ago, EmmaMay said:

I would like to apologize - it was not my intention to attack you - I'm sorry.

those pictures were to illustrate that you are not living in a co-co land, there are a lot of people out there that are concerned about the same stuff.

in the first part I was sincerely serious - it's not hard to make a game, the hardest part is to come up with an idea that will blow everyone away, which is not trivial.

And the "full sellout on twitch.tv" is a legit fund raising idea, you set up a studio and ask people to donate money for your new game you want to make, or start a company for game development and then you just ask people what they want you to do for money

or even easier would be making a 15 sec video on youtube and just start a kickstarter campaign

you don't need corporate association or take on any obligations to get a loan

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

8 minutes ago, VeeTeePee said:

You can't just have ideas, you also need to have the skills to make those ideas come to life.

I strongly disagree,

I believe in IT it's all about the idea,

if you really have it, then it's literally a question of a couple of hours to arrange everything and go live by the end of the year either picking up online tutorials or finding people willing to align with you

Garage48 and any kind of local hackatons are the living embodiment of what I've said, those conventions are always full of very experienced professional developers and engineers, but the ideas, they're one in a million and there's never enough of idea/marketing people

I would like to apologize - it was not my intention to attack you - I'm sorry.

those pictures were to illustrate that you are not living in a co-co land, there are a lot of people out there that are concerned about the same stuff.

in the first part I was sincerely serious - it's not hard to make a game, the hardest part is to come up with an idea that will blow everyone away, which is not trivial.

And the "full sellout on twitch.tv" is a legit fund raising idea, you set up a studio and ask people to donate money for your new game you want to make, or start a company for game development and then you just ask people what they want you to do for money

or even easier would be making a 15 sec video on youtube and just start a kickstarter campaign

you don't need corporate association or take on any obligations to get a loan

Thank you very much for your reply,

I'm sorry too, I didn't realize that a "full sellout on twitch.tv is a legit fund raising idea", the way I read it was something along the lines of putting myself on twitch.tv and showing myself up, if that makes sense, that's why I thought you were attacking me but I realize now from your reply that you weren't attacking me, so I'm really sorry about that, but thank you for what you've replied with, it's very informative.

1 minute ago, EmmaMay said:

Thank you very much for your reply,

I'm sorry too, I didn't realize that a "full sellout on twitch.tv is a legit fund raising idea", the way I read it was something along the lines of putting myself on twitch.tv and showing myself up, if that makes sense, that's why I thought you were attacking me but I realize now from your reply that you weren't attacking me, so I'm really sorry about that, but thank you for what you've replied with, it's very informative.

so... you have any grand ideas on what games you want to make?

I'm sorry to ask but are you still in school or maybe university? - maybe you want to do some additional classes on computer science or maybe enroll in a university for computer science

then you might want to look for some open vacancies in already established games development studios

so... you have any grand ideas on what games you want to make?

I'm sorry to ask but are you still in school or maybe university? - maybe you want to do some additional classes on computer science or maybe enroll in a university for computer science

then you might want to look for some open vacancies in already established games development studios

no grand idea's, it's just something i'd like to do in my spare time, I work in a supermarket part time, looking back on my life I regret not wanting to start earlier in game development, I do enjoy playing classic platformers like Zool and of course Super Mario,

10 minutes ago, EmmaMay said:

no grand idea's, it's just something i'd like to do in my spare time, I work in a supermarket part time, looking back on my life I regret not wanting to start earlier in game development, I do enjoy playing classic platformers like Zool and of course Super Mario,

great, pick up some general coding courses

like for beginners there's: http://code.org

and for more advanced stuff there's http://mva.microsoft.com

and then just look at some OpenGL or DirectX sample projects and chase your dream!

or if maybe you want to design stuff, get to a drawing board and start mapping out your ideas, ask your friends and work colleagues if they think they would enjoy playing any of the stuff you've come up with - and remember most of the games are really simplistic - take the Angry Birds or Flappy Birds or the variations of Running man or Candy crush are pretty basic - it's just mashing one button and getting constant flow of rewards

great, pick up some general coding courses

like for beginners there's: http://code.org

and for more advanced stuff there's http://mva.microsoft.com

and then just look at some OpenGL or DirectX sample projects and chase your dream!

or if maybe you want to design stuff, get to a drawing board and start mapping out your ideas, ask your friends and work colleagues if they think they would enjoy playing any of the stuff you've come up with

Thank you very much!

1 hour ago, DXMember said:

I strongly disagree,

I believe in IT it's all about the idea,

if you really have it, then it's literally a question of a couple of hours to arrange everything and go live by the end of the year either picking up online tutorials or finding people willing to align with you

Garage48 and any kind of local hackatons are the living embodiment of what I've said, those conventions are always full of very experienced professional developers and engineers, but the ideas, they're one in a million and there's never enough of idea/marketing people

In some cases, ideas are needed greatly... But in other cases, ideas are just ideas. Not disagreeing with you when you say ideas are "one in a million" but that also does not apply to most ideas. Most, if not everyone on this earth right now, has ideas for something. Its the follow up that makes it a reality. The following video is mainly for entertainment purposes. I found it while looking through failed Kickstarter projects and its pretty funny.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tt8ze

~~ Intel Xeon E5-2696 v4, Asus X99-A II, Adata 2x8 GB, EVGA GTX 980Ti FTW, InWin 303, Dell U3415W~~

3 hours ago, VeeTeePee said:

In some cases, ideas are needed greatly... But in other cases, ideas are just ideas. Not disagreeing with you when you say ideas are "one in a million" but that also does not apply to most ideas. Most, if not everyone on this earth right now, has ideas for something. Its the follow up that makes it a reality. The following video is mainly for entertainment purposes. I found it while looking through failed Kickstarter projects and its pretty funny.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2tt8ze

I guess but like... here's another funny video about every peoples in the world ideas meant for entertainment:

4 hours ago, EmmaMay said:

What I would say to you is that you should just go for it. Don't read internet guides or watch a really long video series on coding, just start out trying to make pong (for example). Use google along the way to find out how to draw a circle, how to make the circle move, how to make the paddles and so on. Just learn by doing, and if you can't come up with ideas, learn by copying old games and then push yourself to add something interesting to them. By game 6 or 7 you'll really be getting somewhere. If you want to get into formal games development (ie working at Rockstar games or something) then you'd realistically either need to build up a portfolio of interesting and well made games this way, or take a degree course in computer science.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz