GTX1080 price

lovingGamer
24 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

There is simply no way 1080 is 450 gbp. 600 usd is 415 gbp and then add 20% VAT. And when do new cards come to market at MSRP? It's going to be 500+.

The RRP for the 980 according to Amazon is £492.95. Have you ever seen one actually being sold for this much? The 1080 will not be £500. Or if it will, it will be RRP only.

13 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Fury X was supposed to be priced at 850$ originally but was dropped due to 980 Ti's existence. GDDR5X amounts are extremely low currently

And there is only one already very niche card that is going to be using it. Unlike AMD, Nvidia are not banking on shifting volumes of this card. There's a reason the very similarly performing cut-down version is using standard GDDR5.

Couple with the fact that Nvidia are in the position where they can and do quite happily subsidise low yields by pricing their Tesla cards at $10000 and their Quadro cards at around $5000, it's not that big of an issue.

1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

The RRP for the 980 according to Amazon is $492.95. Have you ever seen one actually being sold for this much? The 1080 will not be £500. Or if it will, it will be RRP only.

And there is only one already very niche card that is going to be using it. Unlike AMD, Nvidia are not banking on shifting volumes of this card. There's a reason the very similarly performing cut-down version is using standard GDDR5.

Most 980s are sold for 450$+

Yes, because they can't source enough GDDR5X for the 1070s to have it as well. Reports from 2 months ago were saying it would barely be ready in time.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Most 980s are sold for 450$+

Yes, because they can't source enough GDDR5X for the 1070s to have it as well. Reports from 2 months ago were saying it would barely be ready in time.

You're completely missing the point. There aren't enough yields to comfortably fill two separate tiers of GPU (one of the tiers being the single most popular tier, the x70). That is a different statement entirely than saying that yields are low enough to impact its implementation on a single niche product.

If AMD had decided to put HBM on only the Fury X and had GDDR5 on the Fury and the Nano, they wouldn't have had a problem.

Also sorry, that was supposed to be £492.95, not dollars.

1 minute ago, othertomperson said:

You're completely missing the point. There aren't enough yields to comfortably fill two separate tiers of GPU (one of the tiers being the single most popular tier, the x70). That is a different statement entirely than saying that yields are low enough to impact its implementation on a single niche product.

If AMD had decided to put HBM on only the Fury X and had GDDR5 on the Fury and the Nano, they wouldn't have had a problem.

I propose this. Let's wait and see.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, don_svetlio said:

I propose this. Let's wait and see.

Well sure, but after doing the exact same thing like clockwork generation after generation, I really doubt they are going to shift dramatically now.